M. Fairman: The Van Hansis Interview

• Members
<span style="font-size:10.5pt;">As the World Turns literally turns up the heat at the end of this week and next, as Luke is going to be torn between two men: Reid and Noah. If ever a soap opera triangle has generated so much buzz, it is this one. And how cool! Because this time, this soapy triangle is between three men! Van Hansis (Luke), who delivers powerful and believable performances day in and day out, chatted with On-Air On-Soaps about Luke's latest and most challenging conundrum to date. And what started out as a predictable sure bet that when As the World Turns airs its final episode come September that Luke and Noah would reunite has done a complete 180… or has it? With the arrival of Eric Sheffer Stevens (Dr. Reid Oliver) to the Oakdale scene, as a very pompous neurosurgeon that first hated Luke's guts, this hate-at-first-sight dynamic has set off sparks and electrical currents between Luke and Reid that fans are raving about, and in love with, and for good reason. So while the great debate of who will be Luke's true love will continue on for the next several months, Van discusses Luke's current journey, and the incredible opportunity that he has to affect so many people's lives worldwide with his portrayal of a leading soap character who happens to be gay. And with daytime shunning so many of the gay characters you love to love over the past year, it is Van who has carried so much of the torch, when so many other LGBT characters came and went.

Now, with his first feature film under his belt, a bright future ahead of him, and a huge fan fest coming up next month for Van fans to see the guy in the flesh, he has it going on! On-Air On-Soaps heard you, the fans, on this one. For months you have been requesting and emailing us to chat with Van, and we got him. So, without further adieu, here's Van!

MICHAEL:

Luke and Reid have had such a phenomenal response, and are generating the hottest buzz right now in all of daytime. Did you have any idea that this was going to take off like this?

VAN:

I guess so, because Eric is a fantastic actor. He is a really inventive actor. I think it takes a really special actor to take a character like that, who on paper can look like an [email protected]#$%^&*], and he has basically made him someone to root for. Eric has done a really fantastic job of that. Honestly, going into this thing when Eric was cast, I had the idea that he and Luke would hook-up. But I did not know it would go as far as it has gone, or that it would become a real triangle, and a real relationship! It's exciting for me to play, since Luke has been with the same person for three years now. But it's interesting, because Reid brings out things in Luke that Noah hasn't in a long time. I feel that Luke has a lot more fun now with Reid. I think it's kind of back to what first started with Luke and Noah: the thrill of a new relationship. There is new stuff to discover about yourself and this person, when a relationship is so fresh. Of course, playing that is exciting. That being said, I think Noah brings something that Reid doesn't. So, I actually think Luke is torn. I think he really, really cares about Noah, and always will. I think he is kind of intrigued by Reid and what Reid offers. But Reid has a lot of issues himself, and I don't know if Luke is ready to go there and be with somebody who isn't that nice a person to him. That being said, there were times when Noah wasn't trying to be actively mean, like Reid was. But Noah could ignore Luke, and Luke would get needy around Noah. So, Luke is in a very interesting place now. It's a very fun story to tell.

Read the rest on Fairman's website.</span>

• Members

Fairman said: "Recently, I interviewed ATWT’s head writer, Jean Passanante, and she spoke about the introduction of Reid to the Oakdale canvas as a spoiler for Nuke, and how she was shocked by the response from a good portion of the fans. She said, “We are getting positive feedback for Luke and Reid. And who would’ve imagined we could bring anyone between Luke and Noah? You never know. I thought people would yell, ‘You can’t do that.’ But it’s been great!”

Well, Jean, if you had written Noah such that he hadn't backed away from Luke every single chance he got, maybe you would have had the kind of problems you anticipated with someone coming between Luke and Noah. It was such an improvement to see Luke in a truly viable relationship, how could anyone have preferred Luke staying with Noah?

• Members

Oh, they most certainly are "rubbed the wrong way" by Van's comments, but then again, he ALWAYS seems to (in their minds) say the wrong thing in the press about the storylines that he's in. He's not like Jake, in which he placates the Nuke fanbase with sayings like "singular heart" and that "the fans are owed a happy ending".

Most of the die-hard Nukies absolutely hate that Reid's involved with Luke (and Noah) and the last months. They consider him to be a "newbie that's taking screentime away from the other veterans". Yet, Luke (and Noah) and their storyline has been given new life and blood with Reid's introduction.

Sucks to be them (Nukies) during these last couple of months.

After reading the entire interview, I have to say that I'm impressed. He knows what he's talking about, and I imagine some of the most diehard Nuke folks might be rubbed the wrong way by that.

Archived