Mama's Family

Soapsuds

• Members

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/X8NJKS9GLHo&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1"></param><param'>http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/X8NJKS9GLHo&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src=http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/X8NJKS9GLHo&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1 type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

so who was your favorite.....Sonya and Buzz or Bubba years??

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Don't get me started on TV Shows on DVD with syndicated episodes, grrr it's one thing that pisses me off. Unless it can't be helped(like originals were ruined or something) there is NO excuse for that :angry:

Mama was so my grandma LOL. My grandma was so much like Mama it was eerie

• Members

I'm throwing in another vote for the Bubba years. Bubba was just HOT, and he still very much is. Always in those tight pants with those sexy suspenders. One of the best episodes was when he wanted to join the Army and he wore those tight little shorts, thighs just bursting out of 'em......now I'm starting to sound like Blanche Devereaux.

As much as I loved the revolving door of family members in the NBC season, I liked the set dynamics of Mama/Vint/Naomi/Iola/Bubba. The overall feel of the show was SO mundane and middle America, but it was such a funny show. One of the few that was good all the way up til the end, IMO. Until about 10 years ago, the major ABC station here still showed it as a lead-in to Saturday night primetime.

• Members

The reason I started watching this show was because my grandmother watched this on TBS. The Bubba years were the ones that I caught mainly, so these are the years I like most. I'm a bit surprised at all the pro bubba years because I thought the other years were more popular. Since I watched Golden Girls first I was a bit surprised to see Rue and Betty acting differently on Mama's Family.

One of my favorite moments was when Mama was on Jeopardy and for the final question "Who was someone (can't remember who) son?" and Mama had answered Who is Bubba.

• Members

"Well good Lorrrrd!" [/Thelma]

Blanche Devereaux was mentioned upthread, of course Rue McClanahan played Thelma's sister Fran who was killed off (choked on a toothpick picking roast beef out of her teeth :o:rolleyes::lol: ). Rue was fired but soon landed on her feet with "The Golden Girls".

Soapy connection... Aunt Fran was originally written as a spitfire foil for Thelma, but Carol Burnett and Vicki Lawrence just floved Dorothy Lyman from their favorite soap AMC and wanted her for the show. They got her, and her Naomi took the spot originally intended for Fran while Fran became a mousy, brittle, old-maid type. Rue was not at all pleased with this change in her character, but of course it all worked out in the end.

Archived