Tonya Lee Williams interview

• Members

That black storyline. This is how daytime in America sees blacks.

I've never seen many covers of soap magazines with Blacks although I thought it was great that Evangeline had a few covers with John and Natalie.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Mamie is an appropriate name when you consider what time she was introduced. That Y&R created a black character like Mamie in 1980 and kept her until, what? 2004? Is huge. Mamie is legendary but doesn't get her due. I hate that Mamie and John never got their time in the sun. I want her to return with Allistair. She deserves it.

• Members

Mamie was a very minor character for her first 5 or 6 years on the show. She was the Abbott housekeeper. Eventually they recast her, gave her a family, and some strong stories, especially her relationship with her boss John Abbott, which was something that crossed a lot of class and color lines and had never been done before on a soap. Unfortunately they chickened out and sent Mamie packing.

• Members

The Bells have NEVER been able to "do minorities" comfortably. Even the late, lamented Bill Bell could never quite conceive of African Americans as anything other than the maid until the early 90s. Hence Mamie No-Last-Name who was introduced in 1980, a full 16 years after the Civil Rights Act, as the Abbott housekeeper. That mindset is like something out of those old Tom & Jerry cartoons where the slippered feet of the black maid shoos Tom away with a broom.

I suspect that back in 1991, somebody gave WJB a breakdown of which demographic groups watch Y&R and, noticing the sizeable black contingent, Bill Bell reacted like the good ad-man he was and took an opportunity to bring in some more AA viewers. His old protegé Susan Sussman Morina had been involved in Generations so he'd probably picked up on the good-looking potential of Kristoff St John and, later, Vivica A. Fox. I imagine Victoria Rowell must have surprised him out of complacency with her "sass" and, like the older Midwestern gentleman that he was, he was probably tickled by it and her. It was Drucilla who became the break-out star, the character who was a hit with the audience as a whole and not just down demographic lines.

But now that she's lying at the bottom of a CGI ravine somewhere, Y&R has reverted to its Imitation of Life mindset with a "Look, everybody! Valley Girl can pass for white!" actress who couldn't act her way out of a paper bag and a few day-players who just happen to be on contract.

• Members

I think that's the key word. Though there is nothing wrong with the name "Mamie" in and of itself, and I'm sure there have been many black Mamies who've done domestic work over the years, it certainly would not be my first choice in names for my black housekeeper character. At least hit me with an Almeeta or a Melbadene.

Honey, she needs that paper bag. For reference.

• Members

But didn't Bill Bell introduce the Grants on Days of Our Lives and pen a controversial interracial romance there in the 70s? An interracial pairing with the son of a legendary character. I agree that that Bell probably wasn't comfortable after his experience at DAYS and the supposed backlash it caused.

• Members

Honestly? I think it was the fact that he developed solid and friendly working relationships with KSJ, TLW and VR that helped his writing for their characters. But you are right. Compared to Maria "The Black Storyline" Arena and others, he was light years ahead. Agnes was the real pioneer, though, IMO.

• Members

I love Veronica Redd's Mamie, the storyline with John and Jill's divorce is still one of my absolute favorites.

Veronica and Jess had sizzling hateful chemistry...culminating in one of the best exchanges on a soap.

John: I need a moment alone with my wi...Mrs...

Mamie: You mean 'The Bitch' don't you?

Jill: *stares in angry disbelief*

Archived