AMC: Daytime’s Brigadoon (But What Happens Next?)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

She's being REALLY heavy handed here in these columns. Yes, I think the show has improved since Pratt has been let go and what I have noticed is characters are actually relating to one another again in very humanistic ways (to borrow an adjective from the aforementioned Marlena), but I'd hardly call it the best turn around ever... I guess the real test will be once she does hand over the pen to David and Donna. I do feel that some great groundwork has been laid (afterall this is transition writing), but can that groundwork be turned into some magical storylines? I don't know. Based on what spoilers are slowly inching out.... it seems it will be a rehash of everything that has been wrong with this show the last decade.

I have learned when it comes to this show not to be overly optimistic... Marlena loves Lorraine, and so do I... but there is only so much she really could have done in the position she's in. She's made the show less offensive, but the show also some days is SO BORING! Like I said though, its transition writing.

This week I've felt more "pop" to the show (to borrow an adjective from Maria Arena Bell) because stories are actually moving... for the last few weeks most have been in a holding pattern.

I am grateful Lorraine came back, but I think Marlena hopped on that bandwagon a little too strongly... she better be careful or she'll break the back axel... :ph34r:

Oh, and her comments on Erica? That character is regressing so fast it makes my head spin. Yes, the David/Erica scenes were well done and actually maybe showed a glimpse of growth... but it became clear it was just a silly plot device and nothing more...now where is she heading? Straight into Jackson's brow beating, finger pointing, belittling orbit :rolleyes:

• Members

I agree with this. I mean, for the love of all that is holy, is she really using the fact that Lil' A is now being referred to as A.J. as some kind of literary genius? :unsure:

It reminds me of that hideous Nelson Branco figuratively whipping out his penis and boning up over the fact that Tom Casiello rhymed Jack Abbott with Black Rabbit in one of his Y&R scripts.

Look. I'm all for being supportive and encouraging of your favorite writers... but if you're going to grasp at any random tidbit to promote them, then at least be honest about pushing an agenda without hiding behind the shabby facade of "professional" soap journalism/criticism.

Especially when you can't even proofread your own damn column to see that you called Tad "Todd." :rolleyes:

• Members

I know! I notcied the Tad/Todd thing too :lol:

Yes, Marlena clearly has an agenda and as a blog she reserves the right to push it... but yes as I said she is being heavy handed and grasping at every little thing as you say to push that Lorraine has saved this show... if Lorraine had actually wanted to take over full time and Frons allowed such a thing to happen... then maybe we could have seen if Lorraine could have saved this show. In 6 months from now I am pretty much expecting any progress Lorraine made to be totally undone by who's coming in. There is no previous evidence to contradict my feeling that way.

• Members

I thought Jake falling out of the tree/Jake browbeating her into being ashamed of every part of her life that wasn't saintly and submissive/Liza getting pregnant and having the turbulence miscarriage was all depressing and extremely damaging to the character. But perhaps that was network mandates, or Francesca James. The early stuff with Adam and a lot of her 95 to summer 96 stuff was great.

Didn't JR once want to go by "AJ"?

• Members

Yes. Let it be said, in case someone's getting hot for a slander suit... She has every right to beat her agenda into the ground on her own blog! Freedom of the press!

However, some should be warned: Writing with an extraordinarily HEAVY HANDED BIAS kinda makes your claims of "professional journalism" look like a joke when you're riding on that high horse criticizing others' articles of soap critique.

I'm not sayin'. I'm just sayin'.

• Members

I can easily see why she would mix up Tad and Todd. Both of them have some kind of super sperm that manages to impregnate every woman they touch and both have just been given plot-point retcon children whose presence is an affront to long time viewers (or even short-time ones in the case of 7-year-old Dani).

Actually didn't Sonny just get a new kid too? Dani, Damon and Dante. I guess DDD is the soap equivalent of 666.

• Members

Biggest turnarounds?

Bill Bell at Days in 66.Agnes at AW in 66.NBC daytime was firing.I think Rita Lakin came to The Doctors at that time and brought ratings and story up also.

Gloria Monty/Doug Marland at GH.The show went from #11 to #3 in a matter of months.

Labine/Mayer at Love of Life in 73(?)

Wes Kenney/Bill Bell restructure Y&R in 82.

Any others?

What about sudden downturns?

Stern/Black at ATWT.

Archived