Underrated social issue stories

• Members

And her make up was never less than perfect. She faked that coma for weeks, how did she go to the bathroom???? It was just lucky the Chandler mansion had rooms and hallways inside the walls. :lol:

I wish Skye would come back to AMC. If Adam is ever eventually written out, and sooner or later that might be possible, who better to head the clan than Skye?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

RYAN'S HOPE wasn't known for dealing with contemporary issues - although, Jillian's drug addiction after baby Edmund's death was noteworthy.

Bianca's initial coming-out (on AMC) was good; in retrospect, though, I really wished the show hadn't "gone there." Bianca Montgomery, as Erica's insecure, narcissistic daughter (who just happens to be a lesbian)? Good. Bianca Montgomery, as the patron saint for all lesbian rape victims everywhere? No thanks.

• Members

One reason is I think they can simply just be good storytelling. The appeal of soaps is they are daily--so I think it's compelling drama to see these characters you live with, dealing with issues you live with.

That is beyond inane logic and not what I'd expect from you Khan. Blame a storyline for what other, later writers did with a character later??

Even when it was revealed her rapist was her gyno?

• Members

Well, even if it's not social issues, soaps can teach alot to people in how to react in a crisis. I learned the Heimlich maneuver and how to do a tracheotomy from watching Robert Colbert and Brenda Dickson! (I would KILL to see that episode again!) And from watching an episode of AMC, I learned that you can STILL call 911 on a land line even if there is no dial tone... as long as the phone is wired in.

• Members

Coronation Street did a great story involving a transexual character(Hayley).It was obviously thoroughly researched and told with restraint and respect.That character is still on the show today after more than a decade.

It was a story that could easily be told on a US soap(with minor tweaks).As well as being groundbreaking,the entertainment factor was there and it provided a change from the usual boy meets girl scenario.

• Members

It is absolutely still relevant. The reality is that we are all still dealing with particular social issues. They are a part of our lives in some capacity and when used appropiately can make many characters relatable. Of note, is that social issues are usually found at the heart of popular dramatic romances and even poignant drama. Take for example, "The Notebook," which was a love story but also brought to light the reality of Alzheimer's and the impact on a marriage. Look at what Steel Magnolias accomplished with Shelby's diabetes. The problem I think with soaps is when the social issues eclipse the characters and becomes the plot. That's when it's preachy. I think social issues work well when it's used as a circumstance of the character. Mary's rape and Lupus were great definitive stories for her character but now we are at the point where her rape and who raped her are the only interesting aspects of her character.

• Members

If you're interested, here are the scenes where Isabella learns from Carly that she has pancreatic cancer.

Then 55 seconds in, Isabella tries to tell John.

Sheri Anderson also tried to further explore the effects of the abuse that Kimberly Brady suffered when she was a child from her Uncle Eric when the character developed Dissociative identity disorder (multiple personality disorder). Though I'm not certain if the story turned out the way it was supposed due to rewrites resulting from the departures of Charles Shaughnessy and Patsy Pease.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a link to another forum, but there is a somewhat recent discussion thread on the DAYS Sony forum where fans examine closely the DID storyline and tried to figure out where Sheri was originally heading with it and how it was going to affect all the characters involved.

Sami struggled with bulimia and rape during JER's first solo head writing stint.

• Members

Thanks. I've never really wanted to watch the Kim stuff, because of what Patsy went through in real life, but I will try. The Isabella stuff looks good. Do you think they should have killed her off?

It's easy to forget sometimes just how long and slow Sami's descent into being "evil" was. JER paced that very well. That's why I'm not as bothered by Sami being a bit more generic heroine, with a slight edge. I think this is what she would have been if she hadn't been so traumatized for so long.

• Members

I think it says a lot that we talk about "social issue stories" instead of STORIES. The people putting together these shows shouldn't be differentiating between "regular stories" and "social issues" -- they should be tapping into real life, whether for base emotions in outrageous situations or for true circumstances such as illness, class conflict, sexual identity, whatever, to tell compelling stories.

Archived