Plastic Surgery of the Soap Stars

• Members

Same here! Love getting carded at 30 ("'30', Blanche? What is that, the address of the bar?" [/@Dorothy.Hollingsworth]), especially when it's some young clerk at the grocery store, but then again they're supposed to card you if you look under 50! :lol:

Yeah, Visine and Clear Eyes have a rebound effect, they shrink the vessels, then the vessels bounce back even larger. This has happened to me. Unpretty. There's a newish procedure called I-White where they go in and remove the membrane with all the red and brown spots your eye has accumulated over the years (notice the whites of babies eyes are so white) and that layer regenerates itself. Kinda scary messing with your eye like that but the cases I saw were pretty remarkable.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I often feel like men in soaps are less likely to get plastic surgery because they don't need to, they can get away with rougher looks. I guess one exception might be Bobby Woods, who allegedly had that facelift which didn't really do him any favors...

• Members

I think in the case of he and Linda, their work didn't last them too long, I mean, you can't stop the aging process you can only slow it down, but it looked like he gained weight after his surgery too. At the time, it looked to me like he and Erika had both had the same procedure, this was the year that those "weekend" facelifts were all the rage and they both looked worked on in the lower face/jowls but not above the temples. And he had that look in the mouth that a lot of men get when they have their faces done, like they've just said "prune" (now say it and pay attention to the corners of your mouth, that "puss" face you make).

• Members

Also, with all of the extreme closeups in soaps, a man cannot afford to look "done", he has to be super conservative and savvy with any work done on his face, he can't camouflage with loads of makeup either.

I've wondered about Marcus Patick's cheeks (probably natural as Jamaicans do tend to have awesome cheekbones), but especially if his nose was the one he was born with. He and Justin Guarini have those Nicole Sheridan noses.

• Members

I've never had probs with my eyes that way (maybe cuz I've worn contacts since I was 10?) though I'm considering lasik. Hrm. But my twin sis is a HUGE Visine abuser.

(Didn't realize we were the same age :) Cool! Here in Canada they're technically supposed to card if you look 30--50 seems a bit intense. Of course the drinking ages is ridiculously high down there anyway)

• Members

What is yours, 16? 21 here. In Degrassi School's Out ( :lol: ) Lucy asks people if they want beer/wine but she doesn't say it in a "Let's be bad" kind of way but a "This is how we let our Canadian audience know that we're of age" kind of way. At least that's the impression this American got. :P

• Members

HAHA no not 16, that'd be a bit young IMHO (though I know some of Europe has beer and wine ok for 16). I do think there's an actual law that says parents can serve their kids beer and wine in most provinces at 16... Dunno how they'd enforce it. ANd I was pretty good, though my sister wasn't, about underaged drinking. I'd have wine at dinner sometimes but I didn't get really drunk till my first theatre cast party (I was in a play as the only underaged actor, and the adults thougth nothing of plying me with booze) when I was nearly 18.

Nah it was 18 where I was, and 19 in many of the other provinces. I dunno, I just find 21 ridiculous--people got to college, war, etc, etc, and can't drink? And I do think such a late legal drinking age just causes more problems with dangerous drinking habits with younger people... :soapbox: When I lived in Montreal, it's so close to several US college towns, and is known so well for its nightlife, it's crazy strip bars (gay and straight) and the 18 year drinking law that every weekend you see busloads of American college kids coming up so they can legally party. And I swear, the people you saw puking in the gutters by 9pm were ALWAYS the same group of rowdy Americans you saw doing shots at dinner a few hours earlier. Not to say the Montreal citizens that age didn't over drink either (no comment) but there definitely was a difference.

• Members

I'm planning a Montreal vacation so I'm gonna hit you up for some information, especially restaurants (have you ever been to Pied de Cochon where they do the canard in a can? :P ). Yeah, my friend and I were talking about that a few weeks ago, the realization that we were well into college before we were of age. Now of course that didn't stop anybody, but sometimes you forget the nervous feeling of standing with your legal friends after you'd given them money to buy your booze and cigarettes and trying to act all natural, y'know, cuz you have to go into the store to pick out what you want and you can't just wait in the car and not look sketchy. :rolleyes::lol: It's crazy, but when I first started drinking I could mix like crazy, had an iron stomach, and one night that all changed. I think it was when tequilla met Carlo Rossi. PAID. HARD. But I learned my limits and now I know what I do and don't like, what I can and cannot tolerate. Moderation.

• Members

Exactly, everyone in college drinks anyway, so what's the point of the 21 age? I really suspect it does more bad than good.

Yeah, that's the only way I really feel old--is I can't drink, mix, etc, like I used to. In University I could go out three nights in a row til 5am, in the week, and still get up on Thursday morning and write an exam. Now if I pull a night like that I still feel remnants two days later. :P

I'm a (partial) vegetarian so I haven't tried that, lol, but, I'd be happy to offer any advice, lol. It's honestly my fave city in N America.

• Members

Cool! How about Juliette et Chocolat? :P In your opinion, should a traveler do Montreal or Toronto first, or is it feasible to work both into say, a ten day trip?

I am, my grandfather died of it, one of the many reasons why crazy college drinking is something I left in college.

• Members

Sylph has become the Debbie Downer of this board. ^_^

Ha, Juliette et Chocolat is *great* for desert/drinks. I don't think I've ever eaten anything else there though... It's in the UQAM area which is very close to the gay village.

Well I'm biased in favour of Montreal, but one year I was there my twin was working the year in Toronto so I went to visit her a lot, and spent a month in the Summer. You can *definitely* do both in ten days--especially if you just wanna check each city out an see what you like, I've had friends who have done both in a much shorter span of time. And there's affordable and fast train service betwen the two, as well. I'm not quite sure what you like, if you're trying to decide if you wanna stay longer in one city over another. The cliches, ARE largely true--Montreal is more like Europe and Toronto is probably the most American of cities here (well, besides the modern day Texas feel Calgary seems to be proud of :D).

I'm flunat in French and that definiely helps in Montreal, but nearly everyone in the city speaks English and most of my Anglo ony friends have had no troubls (everyone I know seems scared by weird stories of people getting mad if they speak English, etc, but that's all BS--though true of some small town Quebec).

• Members

That can be true, but it depends on the eye drops. Those that are artificial tears don't fall in the 'more you use it the more you'll use it' category. Eye drops that deal with redness, however, absolutely have a major rebound affect because of the constricting and dilating of blood vessels. I'd never advise using Visine and the like regularly.

Men, in general, age better, at least that's the perception. I think the two procedures that men in daytime do utilize are lasers and fillers. Lasers clear up the skin and fillers plump out the deep grooves and lines. Some use Botox, but less than we all might think. Closeups are a big part of it, makeup isn't used as heavily, so men HAVE to look natural.

Robert Woods' facelift didn't last him well because he gained weight. That's the serious sin when it comes to plastic surgery: thou shalt not get fat! It just unravels the work. Male facelifts are all about skill and they're also all about the jowels and neck. Anything other than that focus gives the 'prune' face you've described. Michael Douglas looks pretty good considering he's on his second or third facelift. Paul Newman looked great too.

Marcus Patrick's cheeks are definitely his own. His nose, on the other hand, is as done as done can be. And it doesn't look good because it isn't symmetrical. My bet is that he had a BIG nose in his youth and that his surgeon had to shave it down and refashion the tip and it just didn't quite work out well...but it's still more inkeeping with what he would have wanted in comparison to his original nose.

He could stand to gain a little weight, his face is looking gaunt!

• Members

I'm sorry to hear that.

But thinking about it, liver cirrhosis is probably not the best way to scare people because they might go all: Liver?! What's liver? :blink: Blah, who cares?

Men need to be scared with sexual dysfunction. If you warn them that at any moment their [****] might go flaccid... Or worse...

:lol:

Someone has to!

• Members

I think that comment says it all--it is the perception, but one that has been cultivated for decades. I do predict that it won't be as true in the future now that the issued imposed on women to look good are moving over to men as well.

I agree. And it's too bad that so many Black actors/actresses in particular feel the need to get nose jobs--I know it's largely our society to blame, but I'm kinda tired of it. (Then again I have a fairly large nose...)

Archived