HBO: Game of Thrones

• Members

This is an interesting conversation.

Anyways, I forgot I posted in this thread long ago when I finished season 2. I've just started 3, and I won't bore you with my episode-by-episode commentary (I save that type of nonsense for the Shameless thread), but I'm interested to see where things are headed. Season 2 was a high-water mark so far, IMO, so if they kept that momentum up, then I'll be happy.

In regards to the above conversation, I think it's foolish altogether to put so much stock into what critics have to say. I got into GoT because my friends told me it was a soapy good time, and that did more to spark my interest than countless articles telling me that I needed to watch.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I'm pretty into them myself, honestly. I'm about that pairing.

I was also pleased to hear the showrunners say they have no intention of recasting Bran. I didn't expect them to, but it was a brief thought since they have recasted all the more tertiary child characters (Tommen, Myrcella). I wonder if they'll be able to get the kid playing Rickon back, as he's doing a lot of movies and is in that ridiculously fun-looking earthquake movie with The Rock this summer.

• Members

I have never read the books but everyone I know that has are in lockstep agreement the later books are not as good and the 4th book in particular I think it is is the weakest of the lot. The critique is always the main characters in the series are mostly absent and you just have to muddle through this huge portion to get back to business. The TV show does not have that luxury in giving most of the cast the year off to focus on secondary characters people really aren't tuning in for, so they did fix it from almost every point of view possible that I can see.

• Members

I thought the premiere was pretty good. Cersei seems surprisingly upset Tywin is dead but I guess her problems with her father were not one dimensional, Not sure why we needed the flashback but the girl who played her did a good job. Everything else seems like setting stuff up, but Dany once again has the same old problems controlling her city and her dragons. I just never see where her story goes anywhere year after year. She just treads water with these incidental little problems that stall for time. Poor Brienne just missed another Stark girl, Stannis is still sort of a drip, and Tyrion is still traveling. I guess not much happened but they did bring us up to date on most of the characters.

• Members

The actress who played young Cersei was phenomenal. Absolutely killed it. It was like watching a younger Lena take on the role. The way she played the arrogance and confidence of a young lady who is absolutely sure of her place in the world was just too good.

I agree re a certain Tyrell. It gets worse and frankly it offends me. But I doubt it will will cause any uproar or backlash.