What should Soap Performers do for their career?

• Members

It seems the end of the genre will be with it most likely at the end of this decade. With that, I'm curious what many of these actors will do or should do. Do most have other revenue sources now knowing this? Or will some move into other parts of the entertainment field like production, directing, editing.

For the older actors, if they have a comfortable secure job, they can ride their time out and retire.

But I have wondered about the younger performers. In years past, we;ve seen more performers leave their shows to explore other things and many return. But the past few years, there has been some of this but not as much. Perhaps it appears to be less due to the fact there are less soaps and jobs available?

But I believe most of the shows are now letting their actors pursue other projects in addition to their current job.

I kind of wonder for example, with the independent film community being an avenue growing, prolific, and doesn't require as long a time commitment as a major film productions do, why some have not pursued more of this. It's good experience, a good resume builder, and soap actors, with the speed at which they have to learn dialogue seem to be a good fit.

As for TV productions in Primetime. I hear so many yammering about how there are not as many jobs out there with all the alternate programming like reality shows on the air. But there seems to be a heck of a lot of original programming still around when you combine the networks with the programming many of the cable networks do. ANd when you watch some of these shows, many of them are taking no name or not big name talent because it's less costly. There doesn't seem to be as much programming sold based on named stars as there used to be.

I just wonder when the jobs are gone, will the alleged "soap stigma" stay with them? Or will they have equal chances at work as any other actor.

Thoughts?

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived