ALL: One-Hit Wonders

• Members

Every soap has them. A new character or a new actor debuts on a soap. They're either a fan favorite or an unrecognized talent. Then, just as quickly as they came, they leave the daytime genre...which is a shock because you were certain they'd get scooped up by another soap.

Please discuss who you think daytime should have snatched up, but didn't.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My pick: Jessica Dunphy (ex-Alison, ATWT)

558_1_38686.jpg

Not only did she originate the role of a SORAS'd Alison, but she brought life, spunk, and fire to the character. She had some less-than-likeable stories, but she always brought her best. She made me laugh with her racy attire to Hal and Emily's wedding. She melted my heart when she lost Chris's baby. She made me furious when she burned down the barn and blamed someone else, but in the same sense, a sorrow in her eyes made me feel sorry for Alison. I just knew that someone in the daytime genre would recognize Jessica's talent, scoop her up, and unlock all the dramatic potential within her. But alas, she's only done one indie film and an episode of "Life" since leaving the role of Alison back in 2005.

• Members

Sarah Felder - Siobhan Ryan #1 RH

She was quirky, oddly beautiful, very good at emotional range, had chemistry with her co-stars. She deserved a better daytime career.

Jean Carol - Nadine Cooper GL

I thought she was a marvellous actress. I never knew why she did not get anything on another soap.

Bryan Buffinton - Bill Lewis GL

He was a good, sensitive actor and he was growing up to be a handsome young man. Then after GL dumped him he never was on anything.

Tommy Michaels - Tim Dillon AMC

See above.

Lauren B. Martin - Camille ATWT

Lauren played her scenes with a lot of commitment and emotion and she did a great job with the breast cancer story and with her friendship with her mentor, John Dixon. I was bothered when they abruptly fired her right after signing her to a new contract.

• Members

AW:

Lisa Peluso (Lila) - she's done almost nothing since

DAYS:

Blake Berris (Nick)

Shayna Rose (Stephanie)

LOVING:

Christine Tudor (Gwyneth)

GH:

Lindze Letherman (Georgie) - has it been long enough?

Robyn Richards (Maxie)

OLTL:

Erin Torpey (Jessica) - why she doesn't work more (at least, not enough for my tastes), I have no idea

Charissa Chamorro (Sophia) - she only had a brief stint on GL

Susan Batten (Luna) - she had that disastrous ATWT run, but that was it

Susan Misner (Grace)

Dan Gauthier (Kevin)

Kevin Stapleton (Kevin)

SUNSET BEACH:

Dominique Jennings (Virginia) - this woman has disappeared through the floorboards, and given her incredible work on SuBe that is ridiculous

• Members

Poor Kevin Stapleton. Dumped for Tim Gibbs. I remember when he had a quick role on SATC as some date of Samantha's and she went under the table when they were at a restaurant and...you can guess the rest. His facial expressions were hilarious.

• Members

Ben Jorgensen (Kevin AMC, briefly Chris ATWT) - I never saw him as gay teen Kevin Sheffield on AMC, where the audience liked him, but I wish I had. Still can't believe this smoldering, relatable, great actor was then rejected by ATWT fans (not by me!). When Chris Goutman fired him (and then Nathaniel Marston!) as one of his first acts, I was very disappointed, one reason why I was NEVER on the Goutman bandwagon.

Vee, wasn't Lisa Peluso on several other soaps back in the day? I thought she was pretty much a veteran by the time she was on AW, rather than a one-hit wonder.

• Members

I don't think it helped that he spoke like he had marbles in his mouth. I believe he even said Don and Kathryn told him to get some help there.

The Chris I wish we'd seen more of was Paul Korver.

Marston's firing was probably based more on his personal problems.

• Members

Ewww, I hated him! LOL. Typical soap hunk, looked too perfect shirtless, eye candy but bad actor, blech. The writing for his Chris when I watched was awful too. Drink milk from carton to show Chris is "bad boy"! Interrupt meal with family to have sex with Molly! Abigail (perv alert)! What was the book they were comparing themselves to again, The Great Gatsby I think? Barf blech ugh. Goutman's horrible, shallow first few months are all coming back now. What a letdown from the depth of FMB/Lorraine Broderick's writing of, and Ben Jorgensen's portrayal of, Chris. OMG, Chris was such good friends with Katie back then too, that's totally gone now.

• Members

I didn't think he was that bad. The original story with Abigail was awful but the relationship with Emily was hot and Korver was able to sell it, as did KMH.

Chris shouldn't have been brought back as a bad boy in the first place but I bought it more when he was causing trouble in the family by being with Emily than I did when he was scheming with Katie so they could prop dull Eddie/Georgia. And I didn't think Jorgensen played that type of role well.

• Members

Ben J's Chris wasn't a bad boy, he just didn't know where he was headed and he felt like a disappointment to his parents, especially Bob. He was like Casey is now. I totally related.

And OMG, Eddie/Georgia dull? What? Nooo! LOL. They were sweet, pure, innocent, transcendent, but with an edge from Eddie's past. They hooked me on ATWT right after AW ended, along with Chris (I hated Katie!), and Holden/Lily/Andy/Denise's baby Hope umbrella story (including Nurse Rita Renfield's memorable funny line to Reid/David, delivered in her cuckoo way -- "I KNOW who you are, Reid ... And I KNOW what you did last summer.") -- before Goutman/Laiman started and trashed the show.

Goutman/Laiman got rid of all the main reasons I had fallen so deep in love so fast for ATWT, and replaced it with superficial dreck, so I stopped watching in January 2000 and didn't think to come back until six and a half years later because of Luke. (So I never saw the Chris/Emily story you mention, so can't comment on it.)

Jaime Nicole Dudney's another one-hit wonder who should have gone on to other roles ... Even now I remember some of Georgia's dialogue, and that memorable, sing-songy way she delivered it. It doesn't read like much, but oh how she said it. "I'm not going to London. I'm going to be right here ... with you ... where I belong!" I loved Georgia. I loved Eddie. Aah, memories.

• Members

Me too, jfung!!!! :D I was a huge Eddie/Georgia fan. And I, too, think Jaime Dudney should have gotten soap work after she left ATWT. But she just vanished. (I figured she would go on to bigger things, if not soaps--considering who her mother is--but she never did.)

Paul Korver is no longer in the acting profession. He directs, films, and produces old-school videos now. He did Christina Aguilera's wedding video and when she released a song shortly after, he directed the music video and added in scenes from her wedding. (He doesn't look anything like he did during ATWT.) His site is fiftyfootfilms.com (it hasn't been updated in over a year, though)

And here's a pic:

cinematography-ws07s-1.jpg

----------------

I know I'm in the minority, but I also enjoyed Napiera Danielle (ex-Bonnie, ATWT). With looks like hers (and acting chops, too), it's a wonder she didn't get picked up for primetime or something.

feature_atwt_groves01.jpg

• Members

Lisa Peluso was offered a role on ATWT (I believe the role Cady M got) but was pregnant. She was then offered another one but deemed it too sexy (she's become born again). She is interested in returning to acting it sounds like, if and when the right role comes, but is fine working in real estate.

I LOVED, and related, and yeah just loved Ben J as Kevin Sheffield on AMC and would probably tunr into anything the actor was on. He just had such a charismatic vibe to him (and I thought he was good at playing a gay role as he seemed comfortable playing gay--something the actor playing Michael on the show never fully was it seemed--and didn't come off as either too cliche effeminate, nor too much the other way as many gays on tv did especially at the time--the "I'm super masculine and love sports but just happen to be gay" thing) He did kinda speak like he had marbles in his mouth though LOL Carl's right. Still it was better than some of the accents I've had to sit through on soaps...

Howabout Amy Van Horne who played Carla Soleito so well on The City? IMDB does say she's recently filmed the direct to DVD Transformers rip off, Transmorphers 2. lol

• Members

+1

+1

DAYS:

Kristi McDaniel as Sarah from Aremid

B&B:

Courtnee Draper as Erica Lovejoy/Mary Warwick

PC:

Nolan North as Chris Ramsey(even if he was a hater in those interviews later on)

Fashion House:

Erika Schaefer as Lexi

Desire:

Kelly Albanese as Cara Gamarra

Archived