Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The difference I speak of isn't about AS' preparedness. While her Vanessa has the same elitist air, it lacks Maeve's tightly wound, controlling edginess. Early Vanessa is always playing an angle, ready to shiv you in the back, and childishly possessive of Henry. 

If Maeve's maternity leave hadn't fallen into the climax of the Diane Ballard murder, GL might've just sent Vanessa on a trip until she could return.

LOL...it's no wonder the Vanessa/Ed fling is easily forgotten and rarely referenced. Maeve sleeps with and gets dumped by Mart Hulswit, Anna makes up with Mart, gets early Peter Simon and must break up with him. When Maeve comes back, it's on the arm of Mark Pinter.

I think that's kind of what started me down that road. It is a weird coincidence.

• Members
Posted (edited)

*sigh* I just rewatched Billy and Vanessa's second wedding. While it's wonderful, it's also kind of sad--like the end of a book. William Roerick is obviously not well. Larry Gates' appearances have dwindled, and they and Vince Williams die in the next couple of years. Jordan gets fired. 

While I know there's some good stuff coming up before Reva's return knocks the show back into "Reva 24/7" mode, I'm reluctant to watch. 

Edited by P.J.

• Members

I remember that time when the internet was just coming into its own and at the old GL dicussion list someone found Laiby's home number and posted it...which was a step too far. ("Sure, stranger who somehow got my phone number I would love to talk to you about what a sh@t job I am doing!") But actually Laiby was so in over his head, he actually was asking fans for suggestions.

I don't get it, he worked under Marland and ATWT during its golden period, why was he so lost? HE brought back Brown as her iconic character but had the character written like she was Iva Snyder (Nola mopping around the boarding house because her husband cheater on her....she would go snatch that b*tch bald and kicked Quint in his nuts...) Maybe it was more McTavish but that was an era that really could have turned GL around.

• Members

LUCKY you! Did SoapClassics do a DVD? I got a couple of the ATWT dvds, but never really check out what (if anything) they did for GL.

I'm not exactly sure what, but he gets arrested and Geoffrey Scott steps into the role late summer.

• Members

Honestly, it's like they treated the fans like idiots. Like the only way we'd remember "hey, that's Nola and not Iva!" is with some wacky, fantasy laden story. Like a) the P&G shows hadn't been swapping actors like baseball cards for the prior 20 years and b) a week's worth of bitchy scenes between her and Vanessa wouldn't have made it plain.