Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

1991 to 1993 are good years..some of the best..but I do think 1989 has some great moments like the climax of Sonni/Reva/josh...will jefferies downfall...Roger Thorpe being unmasked at Blake and Phillips wedding..etc. to understand 1991 to 1993....I think you'd have to go back to 1989 and even 1990...build up.years to the golden era of 1991 to 1993.

• Members

1993 had some interesting stuff with Jenna winning spaulding, nadine's scheme of pretending to be pregnant with Billy's back y exposed, Julie/Dylan's wedding being crashed by Bridget, and I thought Eve Guthries descent into madness then fight back to sanity was quite good...plus holly and Michelle at the cliff house with ed rescuing roger from falling over the cliff.

Some good stuff in 1993..imho

• Members

Thanks. I'll definitely try to find as much stuff from 1989/1990 as I can before moving to the rest, while also doing earlier stuff too. This was my mom's show in the 70s/early 80s, so I've always wanted to give it more attention.

In the meantime, I did one of those 2000 episodes. Are those episodes edited/cut/not full? Because the running time certainly doesn't add up. Whoever that Danny guy is, I love him. Good actor, pretty good in his scenes with Michelle, and hot on top of that. I thought he and Michelle were adorable, although he seemed to carry more of the weight. Is that guy Tony his brother. That stuff was really crazy with the way he was dancing, completely unaware that the other lady was crying.

• Members

I agree with Dan's comment about how disrespectful it was to have that repulsive shoot-out on the show.

The decision to shoot up the Bauer kitchen, an iconic symbol of the series, was inexplicable. It showed how little understanding of the show or its audience TPTB had. Certain decisions would simply infuriate the fans, and alienate them gratuitously.

Imagine DOOL having a Satan-possessed Marlena gleefully masturbating with the Horton family's Christmas ornaments before smashing them into the fireplace.

Or a churlish Sonny being so furious that his mob cannot take over the administration at GH, that he urinates on the picture of Dr. Steve Hardy in the hospital lobby.

UGH!

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

Maureen Garrett was nominated for supporting actress in 1991, 1992, and 1994. I have no idea how she wasn't nominated in 1993.

Looking at the 1991-1994 supporting actress races:

1991: Darlene Conley, Maureen Garrett, Jill Larson, Jess Walton (winner), Kathleen Widdoes

1992: Darlene Conley, Linda Dano, Maureen Garrett, Lynn Herring, Maeve Kinkead (winner)

1993: Kimberlin Brown, Jane Elliot, Jill Larson, Ellen Parker (winner), Tonja Walker

1994: Signy Coleman, Hilary Edson, Maureen Garrett, Susan Haskell (winner), Sharon Wyatt

Competition in that category was tough those years.