Search For Tomorrow Discussion Thread

• Members

John Whitsell orchestrated the flood episodes in February 1986- by late March/ early April, he would be transferred to Another World as executive producer.  Did the soap press ever cover the sudden change at SFT?

Also, Brian Frons was the CBS executive who cancelled SFT, went to NBC where he cancelled SFT, before going to ABC daytime and dismantled their daytime lineup.  Why did he continue to be employed?!?

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Mr Frons gets unfairly treated by soap fans. 

I believe it is because the soap press was more likely to interview an outgoing producer with gripes about interference rather than reporting on soap storylines that benefited from his experience.  SFT was a shadow of it's former self, the audience at the time did not value it's longevity, and some characters can not sustain for more than a generation.  Lest we forget, Mr Frons is the last network executive to commission a new soap so, I think it may be time to re-evaluate his role in soap history.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Not to defend Feons...but SFT w asnt cancelled by him..but was cancelled by P and G...NbC wanted to pick it up for another year, but P and G couldnt afford to produce it.  All due to the writer changes and the lousy timeslot (which p and g insisted on). 

Not sure about Generations..but AFT, like EON, was cancelled by P and G.

• Members

I thought the story was that NBC wanted to keep SFT going through March 1987, not another full year, but that Procter and Gamble wouldn't agree to that. I've read that a few times. That would keep in line with executive producer David Lawrence's statement that he believed SFT would air through March.