Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toups

2005: The Directors and Writers Thread

Random but interesting: AMC and GH recently ditched the writers' room in favor of teleconferencing (OLTL did so last year already). Now ATWT and GL are the only soaps still doing the traditional writers' room thing.

I think it's better that they meet rather than teleconference. More chance to kick back and relax than talk all business, all the time.

I think it's better that they meet rather than teleconference. More chance to kick back and relax than talk all business, all the time.
I think they started doing it so they don't lose writers and so they don't have to limit themselves to only hiring writers who live near the studio. For example, in 2002, AMC lost Addie Walsh to DAYS because she decided to move back to her hometown in Pennsylvania. When she moved back to New York, she returned to AMC, but still, if they teleconferenced then, she wouldn't have had to leave at all.

And maybe this will allow/enable them to promote their script writers who don't live by the studio to breakdown positions. I mean Bettina Bradbury and Karen Lewis have been writing scripts for AMC for 13 and 18 years respectively and are more than qualified for a promotion.

Poor Marla Kanelos though. If they had done this sooner she could still be a BDW>

Again, the answer is no. LOL Karen Briner was listed as a breakdown writer today. The Higley trend continues.

LOL, where does she find all of these writers? I still think looking at DAYS' script writer list for 2003 is humorous!

Michelle Patrick wasn't listed in GH's credits. :o

So now all of GH's breakdown writers are males and all of their script writers are females.

I would love it if Michelle Patrick returned to AMC. Her dialogue was the best. She probably left pissed at ABC though because of its treatment of african americans both in front of, and behind, the camera.

Hmmm...Michelle Patrick gone...Anna Cascio not at OLTL...has Jill hired her for GH?

Rex Best back as writer on BB and no Patrick Mulcahey for several episodes...Was PM too good for a Bell show? Of course PM's dialogue is exceptional, but it was out of place on that show...

Charlotte Gibson has been released as breakdown writer of ATWT.

Thats two writers gone. First it was Trent Jones and now Charlotte Gibson. They must be making room for Hogan's return as breakdown writer.

OMG at first when I read the topic I thought it read "SoapNet Dumps ANOTHER WORLD".

Than I click in here and see something about a writer, check the title and was like WTF is wrong with me.

LOL.

OMG at first when I read the topic I thought it read "SoapNet Dumps ANOTHER WORLD".

Than I click in here and see something about a writer, check the title and was like WTF is wrong with me.

LOL.

Either you need eye glasses or you are getting old! :lol::P

Here's an interview with Charlotte Gibson from a few years back. Kind of interesting. And I CANNOT believe ATWT has lost Jones/Gibson while Laiman/Whitesell remain.

http://www.sistagirls.org/charlotte.html

Charlotte Gibson-Bauer has always enjoyed reading and writing. In fact, she could not get enough of either growing up. Through preparation, Ms. Gibson-Bauer has found a way to make her hobbies (reading, writing and acting) work for her by becoming an Associate Breakdown Writer for the Emmy award-winning soap, "As the World Turns." Read on to find out how she got started and landed the job. You will also learn about the roles that preparation and discipline play, what a typical week is like and how you can grow as an artist.

Getting Started

Almost every writer will tell you that reading will help you become a better writer. Reading will not only show you a world outside of your own, it will introduce you to different writing styles. Ms. Gibson-Bauer said, "I've always enjoyed writing. I wrote stories as a child, and even kept a diary. I wrote songs and poetry as a teenager, because I was in a singing group. Writing and playing with words was something I knew I could do, and I completely took it for granted. More than writing, however, I loved to read. I was an avid reader. Couldn't get enough of books. We actually had a rule in our house because of this: No reading at the dinner table."

Landing the job

Ms. Gibson-Bauer's work as a playwright and actress led her to a career as a soap breakdown writer. "I began writing for the soaps because of my work as a playwright and an actress. I'd done a play reading for a scriptwriter who worked for "Guiding Light" and I invited her to some of my play readings. She liked my work and referred me to the people who were running ABC's Writer's Development Program. I was invited to become one of eight out of who knows how many people and that's how I began learning the craft of writing a soap. I became a scriptwriter for "All My Children" and was on the show for five years. Once again, I was invited to be developed as a breakdown writer (a promotion) and began training at 'All My Children.' There were no positions available there so I returned to scriptwriting."

The Power of Networking

After leaving "All My Children," Ms. Gibson-Bauer let people in the industry know that she was available to work: "I'd been contacted by people at Procter & Gamble before while I was working for AMC, so they were already familiar with me as a writer. I was offered a scriptwriting job at 'Guiding Light,' but was being pushed to take the breakdown writer's job at 'As the World Turns.' I submitted a sample breakdown and got the gig! I'm very happy about that!"

On Preparation

Ms. Gibson-Bauer believes that life experiences, training and reading helped her become a better writer. "Everything helps you prepare for a career as a writer, because writers need to be in tune with life. My B.A. was in Mass Communications (Radio, TV & Film) from Purdue University. My M.F.A. is in Acting from New York University. I'm sure both courses of study have contributed, however, writing for characters is greatly influenced by my preparation and experience as an actor," she says.

A Typical Week

The weeks are pretty full for Ms.Gibson-Bauer. On Mondays, she begins the day with a conference call with the other writers on the team. During this time, the writers will get notes from the Executive Producer and do a re-write if necessary. On Tuesday, she goes to the studio for meetings with the network and headwriters. At the meeting with the headwriters, she gets a new assignment. "We then begin laying out the week. Each breakdown writer has a day assigned and writes up a detailed 20-22-page outline or 'breakdown' as they're called in the biz. These breakdowns go to the scriptwriter and they turn them into dialogue. The first three days are usually laid out on Tuesday. The next two laid out on Wednesday. If I get my day on Tuesday, then the rest of the week I'm at home writing up my day," she says.

Discipline

Writers have to be very disciplined. As you can see, they do not spend most of their time in an office or supervised setting. They often work from home. Ms. Gibson-Bauer said, "Here's where discipline is very important because I can work however and whenever. But, on Friday, my breakdown had better be complete and as near perfect as I can get it. It must be e-mailed by 5:00 p.m. so my executive producer and the rest of the team can read each other's days over the weekend. This is in addition to scripts and watching the air shows."

Advice for Our SistaGirls

When asked to give advice to SistaGirls.org, Ms. Gibson-Bauer said: "Write, write and write! You don't need anything but a writing implement, your imagination, intellect and the spirit that moves you. It's very difficult to have people running networks and programming to look at things from unknowns, so it's important to create projects for yourself and get your name out there. I wrote plays because that was a medium in which I loved and was familiar. There are writers groups, festival series and contests that can be instrumental in not only getting you out there, but helping you grow as an artist."

What? They only have two BDWs now?

Dave Goldschmid replaced Michelle.

It's Conforti, Wolfe, and Goldschmid as BDWs.

Thanks for the Gibson article, Britney. Love reading about writers. :)

Rex Best back as writer on BB and no Patrick Mulcahey for several episodes...Was PM too good for a Bell show? Of course PM's dialogue is exceptional, but it was out of place on that show...

Mulcahey's last episode was October 6. It's still too early to know if he left.

Interesting. So did Goldschmid show up in the credits again just yesterday? You have him listed above as showing up on 4/28 and 8/9.

He was listed on Monday and Tuesday - he's never been listed two days in a row before. I guess he's on contract now.