Was Chris Engen Right about Y&R Plot

• Members

IA!

If I might add, we don't even see Adam clearly being conflicted by what he does. Yes he's Hope and Victor's son, obviously the apple isn't gonna fall far from the tree in some cases, but it was still Hope who raised him, I'd be more in favor to buy this story if I saw Adam conflicted in some way, between what Hope taught him and what he has come to learn from Victor.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

50% of his DNA comes from Hope, 50% comes from Victor, and Cliff provided a lot of the (unknown) rearing environment for this boy. That said:

And here is where I think, maybe, Chris Engen's acting limitations may actually have harmed this story.

Adam works right now because he's become a monster in a boy/man's face and body...he looks kinda cute and so there is this automatic incongruity between his outer shell and his deeds.

We never really see Adam play the "war inside himself"...the Hope-Victor conflict for his soul. There are hints of it...like when Adam reached out to catch Ashley, or when he expressed regret for her fall. But in the end, it doesn't play in his face or his eyes. This is where I hope Muhney will be capable of more layers.

We'll see.

• Members

Adam's a punk a-- who wants to get back at Victor for sending him to prison and Jack for abandoning him. So he goes after poor Ashley because he's afraid to confront his real enemies. Why am I the only one who remembers how much he begged Victor and Heather to get him out of jail, weeping like a pathetic dog because he refused to see the enormity of his prior actions?.

This scheme of his has gone out of hand because he's not a master at it and because TPTB have put up stupid obstacles to keep Ashley at the ranch.

I never saw his "baby face" that you all saw. He's a whiny little nothing who wants to play with the big boys but can't.

I don't think we need to see any more layers in CE or MM's performance. He's got to be cold-blooded, just like Victor and Jack were when they betrayed him. Everyone's wondering how he developed into a miscreant? Just watch all of last year when everyone turned their backs on him after he put his heart on his sleeve like a good Kansas boy would just to have his heart and ripped out and trampled on.

• Members

Okay, I get that. Victor didn't raise Adam and I always got the impression that Cliff Wilson was a good man. Are the writers going to reason that he does these things because he's Victor's son? I hate that whatever values he learned from Hope are now gone.

I think the one reason I hate Adam being like this is because it makes Victor's other children look good by comparison. I can't stand Nick or Victoria.

• Members

I wish CE could have some interviews where he's free to say what he wants (although I understand why he wouldn't, as Y&R is very generous to have let him leave), because more and more I think the baby stuff is why he left, not the stuff with Rafe.

• Members

I feel better about Engen if it's true that he's had a problem with Adam's direction for a while. If he wanted out because of the gay storyline, and only because of that, it would be disappointing. I would respect his feelings about it, but it would sadden me if he saw a gay storyline as 'dark'. The whole dead fetus and sympathetic pregnancy stuff is just a bit much. I see why the storyline bothered him.

I get EB's point about Victor's past misdeeds, but none were this dark... except having a prison for his wife's love built in his basement and letting the guy think he'd die behind concrete walls. Victor was such an evil tool.

Archived