Y&R's Bryton

• Members

A longer Emmy interview is here. As usual, Roger Newcomb is my pointer to it.

He addresses the screen time issue from, I think, a remarkable perspective of gratitude.

CBS.com: Since the start of your time on Y&R, your character has had great and powerful storylines.

BRYTON: It's great. I've always given so much thanks to the writers of the show because, like you said, from day one I've been dealing with issues and storylines that aren't typical of soap operas. When I came on here I thought I was going to be with a different girl every week and that kind of thing. But I've been so fortunate and so grateful that I've been trusted with these stories that they think I can pull off and portray, like with the going deaf, and being a foster child dealing with trust issues. Sometimes there are years or months when it's slow but it's such a process I'm sure the writers go through. There are so many characters to keep up with, so many characters to keep happy on the show and try to keep the stories going. I'm really thankful that when they do give me stories that they're good ones. They're quality. It feels like a privilege when they give them to me because it shows they trust me.

• Members

I think that Emmy win may have saved Bryton from being terminated or dropped to recurring last year. I hope this Emmy nomination saves him again. There are not many African American young males on the soaps so it is good that he is at Y&R, even if they refuse to give him much to do.

• Members
When I came on here I thought I was going to be with a different girl every week and that kind of thing.

:D

That was never the case.

I really don't like him. He comes off as obnoxious [on screen, as judgemental Devon; I don't know what he's like IRL], he has no screen presence and no real charisma or sex appeal.

To me, his storylines have always been as coma-inducing as his onscreen father's storylines.

But what he said in the interview was, yeah, cool. At least he's grateful.

• Members
The kid receives a nomination for just showing up because the Younger Actor category is so sparse.

Billy Magnussen and Mick Hazen are both good, I don't understand why neither made it from ATWT. So the category is not *that* sparse.

• Members

Bryton is capable, I don't think his lack of presence is much of his own contribution. I don't think his lack of character power or integrity is much of his contribution either, clearly his character is only a bit less mis-understood and mis-handled as Neil

• Members

"Sometimes there are years or months when it's slow but it's such a process I'm sure the writers go through."

And here's the process:

Hogan Sheffer: Oh, f**k. We gotta throw whatshisface a bone. He's got like [enter number here] number of appearances left on his guarantee.

Maria Arena Bell: Well, what if we have Devon go deaf?

Scott Hamner: He's already deaf.

MAB: Really?

SH: Devon's adopted, isn't he? He already knows who his mother is. What if Devon decides to look for his dad? Better yet, what if he were to learn his dad doesn't know anything about him?

MAB: How would he learn that?

HS: Della Reese could tell him when she reveals Tyra isn't really Yolanda's sister.

MAB: That's so abitrary. (Beat.) I love it. But...doesn't that mean we'll have to cast someone to play Devon's dad?

SH: Shhh, I'm busy working on Colleen's big storyline.

Beat.

Hogan, Maria and Scott all laugh.

End of scene.

Archived