Y&R: Shocking Role Recast

• Members

I think if a white guy said "Look, I am all for everyone being equal, and if you want to marry a black woman that's your right, but the idea of kissing a black woman is repulsive to me" there would not be a single post on this board or any board except for Klan.com saying things like "stand up for your values. TPTB were wrong and could easily have cut away. Why wasn't the actor informed in advance this was going to happen? He should not compromise his beliefs" and so on and so forth.

We don't even know for sure what this guy even said, but people already are defending that very train of thought only it is about gay kissing instead of interracial kissing.

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yup.

And for now, that's where it is at.

MEANWHILE: Muhney's excited as hell, he's twittering like made, he is updating his website in real time with every clipping, picture and newsitem about this (including Errol's exclusive pictures). Muhney hit #30 in Google analytics Friday (Engen didn't rate in the top 100). Muhney's has a dedicated fanbase (rack-of-lamb) that is over the moon with this news.

All we know is that there is a recast, and he hasn't booked a job in a while, and he is excited as hell to be here...and he's not containing that excitement or being coy. He's thrilled to be there, he's trying to attract his fanbase to the show.

How can Y&R viewers lose on that deal? I hope he flourishes in the role, and I'll be interested in this new take on Adam. I have enjoyed the character of Adam since he was introduced, and I hope that continues with the recast.

ETA: And this recast clearly knows what he is getting into ("perverse", "twisted") and relishes it. So the fans will get someone who wholeheartedly embraces this story no matter where it goes. Seems like win-win-win to me.

• Members

I think Muhney will do a great job. I am not worried about him delivering. I do think though that we are headed for a who killed Adam story if they don't give him some positive arc. Having Adam genuinely fall in love with Rafe could be that arc.

• Members

Yes, I think -- just days after walking off -- that he's still probably in legal wranglings.

If Sony plays hardball, they can sue him for the expense (casting costs, new costume costs, production delays) and hold him to the term of his contract.

I wonder if they'll do that...especially with the risk of a throng of supporters lining up behind Engen because of what they will perceive as his principled stand? That seems like a PR nightmare to me.

Thus, I'm imagining they'll cut a deal where CE pays some expenses, stays out of DAYTIME till his contract expires, and has a gag order for some period. At least, that's what I hope happens...I hate it (regardless of the issue or who is in the right) when Goliath smites David.

• Members

I'm just going to throw this out there as my final comment on this. Here is Hrisch's take on the whole issue. I was just posting this on SoapsWEB. This is from her gossip column this week. I like how she puts it all into perspective with Rauch:

I had forgotten about Milli walking. He later worked again.

• Members

Exactly, I mean good GRIEF, if your'e going by a conservative religious perspective and only want to perform a character that is in line with those beliefs... on Y&R, your'e [!@#$%^&*] outta luck unless your'e Beau Kazer or Julianna MCCarthy.

• Members

Interesting. Two questions though:

1. DaytimeFan (who was usually pretty reliable) told us that Sony did the contracts, not Y&R. Indeed, I seem to recall he suggested that someone from Bell-Phillip (i.e., a behind-the-scenes honcho from B&B, actually) sat in on the negotiations, NOT Y&R's EP.

If that is true, combined with stories that say Rauch is ONLY supervising production at Y&R...."producing Maria's show beautifully"...I understood that Rauch was NOT involved with contracts.

If that is true, then he is not a part of the Jess Walton and Melody Thomas stories. He'd still be involved with Engen, though, because he'd be dealing with a balky actor on set.

2. Is there any ORIGINAL reporting in this story?

It reads like a 100% take from what Branco reported, and she does not cite any sources of her own.

Do you think she independently confirmed these details, or just took them from Branco?

If the latter, then we still have on a single source, with not attributed quotes. In that case, the only thing we know is that Engen is no longer Adam. We don't even have confirmation that it was Engen's choice to quit, let alone his reasons for doing so.

Or Todd Williams, Paul's brother the priest, played by Corbin Bernsen.

Archived