Another World

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

When I see mid-late '70s AW I notice so much talk about the gardens, the gardens, the gardens at the Cory mansion. I'm trying to remember if there was much talk about them after that point. 

It is a shame that Louise and Brooks never returned after being terrified away by Alma Rudder. I don't even know if they were mentioned. It feels like they deserved more, especially Louise, after so long on the show.

I guess they at least had an exit, unlike Vivien. 

It's ironic that just as AW truly embraced glitz and glamour with Felicia they phased out the servants (and Vivien probably would have not even returned without Lemay's brief comeback). Felicia with a maid might have been entertaining.

I don't see any mention of him on AWHP.

I really appreciate how much these Lemay-era episodes work in characters we don't see and make it natural, along with all these interconnections (I never would have thought Sally and Angie were sharing phone calls).

• Members

Seems like the anniversary book may have implied more than what was said on-air, that Susan's "feelings for Bill" caused her to "hold back affection" from Dan Shearer. One thing Lemay did change was Bill being older than Susan. From the start of the show, to at least September 1971 Susan was around 4 years older than Bill.

Vivien may be one of the few main characters who was never given a proper exit each time she was written out. She's present during Christmas Day 1980 then disappears, only to resurface on Texas in February 1981.

Yes, it is a shame about Brooks and Louise. However, I honestly don't see subsequent writers (1982 onward at least) that would write for them properly or let them have the level of signifance that Lemay afforded them. Speaking of Louise and Brooks, did they appear together in their last scenes in late May 1980 and August 1982? I always figured that they did.

• Members

I don't even remember if Vivien was mentioned later on. I'm tempted to write a story where Iris gets out of jail in the late '90s, buys a penthouse, and within a week Vivien knocks on her door. 

I'd forgotten the anniversary book talked about Susan and Bill in that way. Sounds a bit like the Soapcentral fancruft. 

Sadly, you're right about Brooks and Louise. I do wonder how they would have interacted with Carl...

I can definitely see that working, right down to Felicia suggesting she live and giving her a makeover and this causing her to get pregnant (maybe with someone surprising, like Evan Frame).

• Members

She was described as a secretary so there may have been a lot of typing and letter-writing involved. I don't remember her leaving but she was around in late 1983 and early 1984.

I have to admit that the combination of the coincidence of Lorna Devon's name, the fact of Jenna's mother being Felicia's editor, and the mental image of Agnes Gooch created a mixture in my brain where Jenna's mother was essentially a Miss Devon figure.

• Members

There was a VERY BRIEF explanation of Miss Devon’s departure. In dialogue, in the scene where Felicia was expecting to interview a new secretary (Kathleen) 1984 she says to Cass who asks “What happened to Miss Devon I kinda liked her” Felicia responds “She ran off with a beer wholesaler ….” It was during their capers with trying to find Cecile - its on You tube and in many collections.

• Members

Does anyone else remember, back in the 1970s on AW, when often scenes would begin with one character alone on a set?  The character would be doing whatever -- working, washing dishes, vacuuming, reading, watering plants, etc. -- and after 30-60 seconds, another character would ring the doorbell or enter from a nearby room or office, and begin a conversation.  Although it sounds boring and perhaps a little silly, it really was a very good way to build character for the audience.  After all, aren't we all most ourselves when we are alone?  

I don't think we ever see a character alone on soaps today.  Today, scenes begin when the action begins.  

Edited by Mona Kane Croft

• Members

I remember over & over, Ada would be in her kitchen, doing something with some prop & someone would come to the door, whether it was Rachel, or Clarice, or Jamie, or even Larry, then the scene would change, to an accustomed 2-person scene. But, it always began, just Ada & a towel or a broom. 

A very early LIAMST opens on Beverlee McKinsey's character, vacuuming. 

Edited by Contessa Donatella
more

• Members

You've reminded me of that great scene posted a few pages back.  Iris is futzing around in the living room of the Cory mansion.  Rearranging the flowers and moving the knickknacks until Rachel arrives, and they begin the scene.  Then, in the course of their conversation, Rachel moves around the room and corrects all the changes that Iris made.  It was a wonderful bit of business to add nonverbal passive aggressive content to their scene.

• Members

Yes, the statememt about Susan's "feelings" for Bill is one of several examples of the anniversary book presenting supposed facts that were never revealed on air or conpletely wrong. Here are some examples:

Janet Matthews resuming her affair with Ken Baxter once she took a job transfer to California. Also, Ken and Laura getting divorced.

Ernest Gregory reconciling with his former fiance, Karen after Janet broke off her engagement to Ernest.

Olivia Delaney being the mother of Olivia Matthews.

Caroline Johnson being institutionalized for kidnapping the Randolph twins.

Jamie and Marianne being referred to as first cousins (1981 section)

Just to name a few.

Miss Devon actually lasted until late March '84, but she indeed disappear. I completely forgot about the mention in September of that year! 

Me being the conpletist I am, I've been trying to narrow down Danielle Burns last appearance as Nancy in 1983. A fan once informed me that Nancy was present in April 1983 when Mac hosted a dinner for the Ewing family (Larry, Clarice, Blaine, Cory, and Jeanne) to help the family mend fences (Rachel, Ada, and Nancy were also present). Blaine was bitter towards Jeanne for abandoning them while Larry defended Jeanne, despite that Jeanne was overly critical and mean to Clarice. Jeanne ruined the evening by insulting Cory for being illegitimate. My guess is Nancy may not have been seen any later than May because of the Alma Rudder storyline escalating to her murder. Nancy seemed to be abaent in August 1983 for the double wedding too. I read an interview once of Danielle's in which she said she stopped playing Nancy about a month before her 10th (Danielle's) birthday. Anyone have insight? The kids are tough to keep track as they often go long stretches between appearances and often times aren't involved in major story points.