Another World

• Members

Tresa Hughes,who played Emma Frame Ordway, has died aged 81. In addition to AW and RH ,she also was on From These Roots.

OBITUARIES, SOAPS

Former Another World star Tresa Hughes has died aged 81

POSTED BY TVVOMIT ⋅ JULY 29, 2011 ⋅ LEAVE A COMMENT

FILED UNDER ANOTHER WORLD, TRESA HUGHES

Tresa Hughes, who played Emma Frame on Another World from 1976 to 1979, has died at the age of 81. She was also an accomplished and popular performer on Broadway.

In 1961, Tresa Hughes was nominated for a Tony Award for Best Supporting or Featured Actress for the Broadway play The Devil’s Advocate. By this point, she was also making a name for herself in television, appearing in episodes of shows like Naked City, NYPDand The Bob Newhart Show.

She joined Another World in 1976, the second actress to play the role of Emma Frame Ordway, and stayed with the show until 1979. During this time she played a nurse in a few episodes of Ryan’s Hope.

She also appeared in the alarmingly-titled TV movie Daddy I Don’t Like It Like This, and went on to appear in episodes of shows likeTales from the Darkside, NYPD Blue and Law & Order.

Edited by Paul Raven

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think I've already asked this, but do you know why they changed the initial plans to have Sharly become obsessed with Michael? Instead she was fixated on Grant. I don't remember this playing out onscreen, but the Michael angle was mentioned in a soap magazine preview.

• Members

I was watching some of the little I could see of Maeve Kinkead as Angie Perrini, and I wanted to ask, for anyone who's seen more of her run (or who was watching at the time), how was Toni Kalem in the role? And was Angie supposed to be so strange and childlike? By the time of the fall 1979 episodes, when Angie was pregnant, she was talking in some wide-eyed fashion, she had her hair styled like a child (sort of strewn on top of her head, with one or two buns). It was odd. There was a scene where she showed Willis the new baby mobile she'd gotten for their unborn child and said if the baby likes it it he will do this (looks happy) and if the baby doesn't like it he will do THIS (angrily punches at the mobile).

It's also strange imagining Maeve and Kathleen Widdoes as mother and daughter, for some reason. I guess because I know them from elsewhere.

• Members

:lol: !

Yeah, KW and MK are not many years apart. Most likely, KW's weight gain attributed to her transition into more motherly roles, not unlike Shirley Knight. I had sort of a reverse reaction to yours when I saw some stills of KW opposite Sam Waterston in a Shakespeare in the Park production of Much Ado About Nothing. I only knew her from brief glimpses of Emma so I never thought of her as the typical slender romantic lead she once was.

• Members

I had the same reaction when I saw a photo of her on Young Doctor Malone. At that time Virginia Dwyer was playing her mother, but I wonder if she was still in the role when Augusta Dabney took over. Augusta and Kathleen as mother/daughter is a bit wacko.png

If you're interested in Pat Barry I posted an article on her in a thread on NBC soaps of the early/mid-50's.

Something else that I noticed in the 1979 episodes was how much that Eileen character looked like Susan Keith. In one of her romantic scenes with Ray Liotta, I initially thought, "Wow, Cecile really was a great big whore, two-timing Jamie and Dennis," and then I realized it was another actress.

I liked the girl who played Sally then. She kind of looks like Jo Joyner (Tanya from Eastenders), but she has a very natural quality.

Liz and Jim were a great double act. It's a shame that Jim just basically vanished from the show, without any real sendoff, when the actor passed away.

• Members

I rewatched Doug Watson's final scenes recently, as well as the 25th Anniversary episodes and Mac's death and funeral. What powerful stuff and a great reminder of what a fabulous actor Watson was.

Knowing that his untimely death impacted storyline for years, does anyone know what was planned for Mac, Rachel, Iris, Amanda, the Corys et al that needed to be scrapped or altered after Watson's passing?

• Members

The 25th anniversary was amazing. I agree. I especially loved the scenes with Jamie and Steve Frame and Rachel and Alice talking about seeing Steve's ghost. Great stuff. My only disappointment was Pat barely appearing and making Gwen into a lunatic, but I got over it. I also wondered why they didn't bring Sandy and Blaine back for the party? I wonder if the show made an offer for the anniversary or Mac's funeral?

I've always wondered the same thing about the show's plans for Mac and the Cory's before his untimely death. They did an amazing job incorporating it almost immediately following his passing. It almost seemed planned. It was eerie.

• Members

In SOD the producers said Christopher Rich wasn't available, so they decided to come up with a reason Sandy wouldn't be at the funeral. I think they should have just recast the role, and then this could have laid the groundwork for Sandy returning and having more of a role in the company. That would have been good drama, especially since Jamie and Matt were never involved with Cory at that time.

I believe that they had already planned the Paulina story before Douglass passed away, and they just had to speed it up due to his death.