Another World

• Members

Wow you have a good memory!

It's a shame that Aprea's second stint worked out so badly. I think on a show that wasn't so all over the place and in constant turnover, Nikos might have been an even stronger character than Lucas. I think they messed up from the start with how that feud with Carl was written.

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I always thought Schnetzer was a terribly underrated leading man. He could do drama, he could do comedy, he could do romance, and he wasn't bad on the eyes, either. (Remember his speedo scenes on the beach with Cecile?) Plus, that voice! I think he did get an Emmy nomination during the time Cass struggled with manic depression, but he never did get much publicity.

• Members

I agree with you. I think he was almost too good. He was easily overlooked. I think he had also been there for so long that later producers easily passed him over for some hip new thing. It's pathetic to think that he was pretty close to being let go in 1997 or so.

• Members

From the May 25, 1999 Soap Opera Weekly (PRIMEDIA Inc), the third part of various cast members talking about their memories of the show. I don't have the first two parts right now, but here's the third.

LISA PELUSO

(Lila Roberts, 1997-present)

From the bottom of my heart, even though it sounds a little sappy, I have never had a better soap experience than on Another World, and I have 20-some-odd years in daytime. Also, Lila was mine; I didn't replace anyone. It was in some ways written with me in mind, and it has been just delicious to play her. I am going to miss her. From the cast to the wonderful crew - our crew never watched ESPN on the monitors, they were always interested in the stories. They were our cheerleaders. I have never worked with a crew like this. The end of Another World is a sad day in daytime history for so many reasons, and it is not just a professional disappointment for me but a personal one.

KIM RHODES

(Cindy Harrison, 1996-present)

Through working on the show I became a fan as well. This is one of the most incredible collections of talent and spirit that I've ever worked with. I really loved working with Mark (Pinter). I think we were both pretty proud of what the Grant/Cindy relationship turned into. I'd like Another World to be remembered as something unlike anything else on TV. There are soap operas, but our show was outside of that genre. I think we've created - through the way we chose to tell stories - a separate place for ourselves.

DAVID ANDREW MCDONALD

(Jordan Stark/David Halliday, 1999-present)

When I heard the breakdowns of the role, it was such a broad leap of faith and a stretch of the imagination, but it's been a lot of fun. In playing Jordan, I am officially the oldest - and without question the ugliest - person on daytime, but it is a nice distinction; I do like that. When I got here, I got along with everyone very well, and very quickly. The only person I know beforehand was Stephen Schnetzer (Cass), who is a great guy. Everyone was very respectful of everyone else's work, and it's been a real team effort. I'm such a new guy to the show, I feel it would be hard for me to even scratch the surface of doing honor to a 35-year legacy.

NADINE STENOVICH

(Josie Sinclair, 1998-present)

Some of my fondest memories were of my first day at work. It was funny to step into someone else's role, because you'll never be that someone, and you don't want to. It was a blessing being able to work with Timmy Gibbs (ex-Gary). My first day, we were in bed pretty much the whole time doing all these love scenes. The producer apologized that there was so much of that stuff on my first day, but it was fun. I also value my friendship with Johnny (Littlefield; Gary); we were always so honest with each other. Another World has always had the best actors in daytime. To be a part of that whole entity - I'm honored and flattered.

JUDI EVANS LUCIANO

(Paulina Carlino, 1991-present)

My fondest moments are just about anything with with Victoria Wyndham (Rachel) and Joe Barbara (Joe), and as of late, Taylor (Stanley, Remy) and Troy (Hall; Tito). I've been here for eight years and Paulina was always a well-rounded character and well-written. The character has always been a challenge to me. Another World was a show from the heart, about relationships and stories, and that's certainly how I want it to be remembered.

MARK MORTIMER

(Nick Hudson, 1996-present)

My fondest memory of being on the show was getting an opportunity to work with fine actors like Jensen Buchanan, Eric Morgan Stuart, Anna Stuart (Donna) - they've really been great. Kale (Browne; Michael Hudson) was like a father to me; Tommy (Eplin; Jake) really helped me out a lot, and so did Tim Gibbs when he was around. When I came on the show, I didn't know much about acting, but they've been very helpful to me. It's been like one big class for me, which has been really rewarding. I like Nick and where he's gone in the last year and a half. I've enjoyed the challenges he's had to face.

SCOTT COLLISHAW

(Producer, 1986-present)

One of my favorite memories is when the directing team won the Emmy (1991-92). I just remember it being such an incredible boost for everybody, because it was one other time the show was going through transition, and people were saying the show was falling off and blah-blah-blah. We had actor wins before, which were all wonderful and great highlights for us, but for some reason the directing team was something that really struck a chord with the whole staff. We were so proud of them; they had worked so hard and ahd done an incredible year. I remember that being a very cool night.

ELAIN R. GRAHAM

(Etta Mae Burrell, 1996-present)

From the moment I came on the show, it was a close-knit group. The Another World actors are cut-ups, and we've had a lot of fun. There is a genuine camaraderie there, and we were very supportive of one another. I was one of those actors who started out watching soaps, and I still do. There's always been something about Another World that set itself apart from the rest of the soaps. The show was always incredible, and it still is.

Jensen Buchanan

(Victoria Hudson McKinnon, 1994-present)

I loved the whole remote in Banff (Alberta), but one of my most favorite parts was having the chance to fly in a helicopter with my director, Mike Eilbaum. We flew through the Canadian Rocky Mountains. Mike had always been a little uncomfortable with flying, so to have the chance for him to face that fear, and to take one of the most spectacular helicopter rides ever - it just isn't something that happens every day.

MARK PINTER

(Grant Harrison, 1993-99)

The memory of my time in Brooklyn will always rest in the spirit that finds its way into the heart, mind and soul of any actor who has been blessed with the opportunity to spend time there. It is the spirit of camaraderie, of compassion, of fight, of ensemble, of a willingness to try anything to make it work, of love and of caring. If I never do another soap opera I'll have no regrets, for I have worked with the best and finest group of actors, staff, directors, producers and writers that ever graced the small screen. Daytime will never get any better than Another World.

ERIC MORGAN STUART

(Chris Madison, 1996-present)

A lot of my fondest memories have to do with Tom Eplin. Just working with him in general, and even outside the studio, that's been fun. Meeting the people that I've met and having the opportunity to work with some very strong actors and fabulous people has been great. Another World has shown a great deal of talent over the years, and that's another reason I'm so proud to have been a part of something like this. All of us feel it's been a good ride.

MICHAEL RODRICK

(Cameron Sinclair, 1998-present)

During a rehearsal for the Lumina Ball, when everybody was all together, I remember looking around and just going, "Wow." Between Victoria Wyndham and Stephen Schnetzer (Rachel and Cass), all I could look at was all the history of the show. It was just that one moment when I was able to take it all in. The people here are great bunch. Nadine Stenovitch and I both really love to rehearse; Sandra (Ferguson) is an absolute pro and she's wonderful to watch; and it is great to have Steve around to talk politics. I'd like the show to be remembered as the best-acted soap on TV. From everything I've heard, that's what people feel.

SANDRA FERGUSON

(Amanda Cory, 1987-93, 1998-present)

Working with Connie Ford (Ada Hobson) was very enlightening, very educational, and I doubt that I will ever work with anyone that is quite as much of a wonderful character as she was. I was lucky to have my dressing room next to hers, and I had a lot of heart-to-hearts with her. That was probably one of the things I'll never get to duplicate again.

CARMEN DUNCAN

(Iris Carrington Wheeler, 1988-94)

My memories of playing Iris on Another World are colored not only by the strength of the role and the fun I had in making her my own but by the people I encountered and the friends I made. I remember a nervous, shaking, alien Aussie at my final audition when Steve Schnetzer put his hand on my arm and said to the director, Gary Tomlin, "I told you she was good!" It gave me such a boost of confidence. I remember my first day, when Douglass (Watson; Mackenzie Cory), Connie (Ford) and Vicky (Wyndham) all seemed like giants with their assured manner and the familiar way they fit into their parts with such comfort and ease. Their professionalism, warmth and sense of humor helped me through those early days. One of the saddest times was when our beloved Douglass died and the cast and crew clung together to re-enact our grief to the rest of the world as we publicly buried Mac Cory - all the while privately mourning our friend and the pillar of the show. I remember my three special male friends: Scotty (Collishaw), Dack Rambo (Grant Harrison), and John Aprea (Lucas Castellano). I thank God I have Scotty and John still in my life, and Dack, my special angel, will always be in my heart, as he too is part of the spirit of Another World. I remember each and every one of the cast and crew, so many of whom are still dear friends. We shared the laughs and the tears, the good times and the bad, and those six years were one of the favorite periods in my life. To the girl from Down Under it was truly Another World. It will be sadly missed.

ROBIN CHRISTOPHER

(Lorna Devon, 1994-97)

It was really challenging for me, coming in and replacing another actress, but it was great. Not only did I love the work but I also loved the behind-the-scenes people and the actors. It was wonderful working with Linda Dano (Felicia). We used to kid that we were so much alike, but we just adored each other. I felt very grateful and very lucky.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Kim Rhodes was fantastic! When Cindy started out she was a very serious character, one of MANY boring, undefined third wheels to JFP's favorite stuporcouples, but then she began to be revealed as crazy and Kim played that very well. The real peak for Kim came when Michael Malone started and he wrote Cindy as some sort of comic relief lunatic (at one point he even had her randomly become a jewel thief), which was cheap stuff, but it really showed her comedic talents, and yet she also knew how to play the edge of Cindy, which made sure the material was not too ridiculous. She also had great chemistry with Mark Pinter which made her obsession with Grant more understandable. And she always made you feel sorry for Cindy even when Cindy was at her worst.

I don't know if there are any 1998 episodes online but you can really see how she worked with some truly dire material.

• Members

Yeah that's one of the main reasons I typed that stuff up, I was very moved by what she had to say. Very eloquent and she paints a picture about just what her experience was and how strong the emotions must have been.

I wonder what happened to Scott Collishaw after AW ended.

• Members

I love what carmen Duncan said about Dack rambo. Mark Pinter has just started playing Grant (where I am on AW) and I just cannot warm to him. DR always played Grant as having a heart underneath all that political ambition.

• Members

Saw this episode a few months ago -- it was the BOMB, especially that Vicky-Jake confrontation. That rape SL was such a turning point for the show. What made it difficult, though, was the fact that AH as Marley and TE as Jake had so much chemistry. I think only PMV surpassed TE in terms of chemistry with Heche. She really was my favourite Vicky/Marley, by a country mile.

And, yes, you were seeing what you thought you saw. Soaps used to be a lot more adult in terms of love scenes. I mean adult not just in terms of sexual content but in terms of showing a love scene that wasn't saccharine or fairy-tale. The way Kathleen and Cass interact with each other afterwards is so intimate and real. Soaps just do not show that physical and emotional closeness anymore.

Carmen Duncan. :wub: I never saw Beverlee McKinsey as Iris so CD is essentially my fave Iris.

I'm still not sold on Cali Timmons as Paulina. I find her to be a bit of a hair model and relatively interchangeable from the other blondes on the show (especially Sandra Ferguson).

Anybody else think that the actress who played Olivia Matthews looked a lot like Anne Heche?

Edited by Cat

• Members

I thought Timmons was very unique, she played tender and vulnerable yet also fragile, scheming, self-loathing.

Yes, Allison Hossack looked a lot like Anne Heche. For a long time I thought that was AH in the pool scene in the opening credits.

I'm in mid-June now, and they had a scene where Matt comforted Paulina after her breakup with Grant. They had a lot of chemistry. I wonder if the show was ever thinking of pairing them up.

For some reason the more I see of Dean the more he gets on my nerves. I liked him at first, but not so much since I've started trying to finish up more episodes. I especially did not love the "Song for Jenna", as Jenna tries to look pleased (she kind of looks embarrassed instead).

Yeah, PMV and Heche had such incredible chemistry. That scene where she unbuttoned his shirt and undid his tie and then abruptly left the room, to get him back for his helping Frankie instead of being with her -- yowza.

Frankie/Cass are just too manufactured for me. It's always telling and not showing. They are believable friends but I don't believe all the stuff about how she makes him a good man and they are soulmates. I think all that is forced. Cass/Kathleen have a much more natural connection. Frankie is better with her family and with Ryan.