Another World

• Members

I thought John and Sharlene were great when John still had so many demons. After that it wasn't the same.

As for Stacey/Michael, I will never understand who came up with the idea of a romance based on a man's child being stolen. And just the annoying Kale Browne mannerisms.

Edited by CarlD2

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I hope that Kale Browne gets down on his knees daily and thanks the good lord that Anna Stuart swept his professional life. It is because of her wonderful interpretation of Donna Love that Michael Hudson was such a fixture on AW, on and off, for 20 odd years.

And I know he was her first love and and she was all flighty and spoiled etc., but he was such a judgmental, trifling, pompous ass. He really jerked her around -- especially when she started moving on and falling for other men! :lol:

• Members

I actually didn't mind Michael in his first few years, at least in the episodes I've seen. It wasn't until somewhere around 89 or 90 that I grew to hate him. The whole story with Donna being villainized for being left by Michael just disgusted me, especially when Stacey made her give Mikey up. I am not done with those episodes from May 1991 yet but I saw that Donna was trying to have Stacey disbarred, which was written as being petty, but I think Donna has a good point.

JFP gave Browne a boost in the short run but in the long run I think she wrecked his soap career because the stuff she gave him as Michael and later as Sam Rappaport was so unpleasant.

• Members

Exactly! I never understood why people always shat on Donna just because the Great Michael Hudson deigned not to be with her.

As for Kale, is/was he JFP's personal chewtoy or just an ordinary FOJ like John Bolger and Robin Christopher? Speaking of RC, was she any good as Lorna? I have to say, I love the long, lithe Sofia Coppola. :wub:

Edited by Cat

• Members

Donna was just a punching bag, which even Anna Stuart apparently complained about, not the punching bag but the non-existent writing for her during Swajeski's tenure. Swajeski sometimes wasn't subtle about her favorites.

I have not seen very much of Robin as Lorna. By the time I started watching regularly she was gone. I just started with Coppola and she's very charismatic and unique but I have to admit it takes a bit of time to get used to her voice, as it can sometimes be very husky and affected and then at other times she starts speaking with a British accent.

I find Dean so annoying...Jenna isn't as bad but I preferred Alla on AMC (probably one of the few who did).

I love Olivia. I wish the show had done more with her. She is so beautiful and also so unique. She's a victim and a bitch and a daddy's girl all rolled into one, and she plays pathos so beautifully, like when she confided in Matthew that Sam had dumped her. It's a shame that she and a lot of other interesting women left and they brought back worthless characters like Josie.

I like Frankie but the only time I ever really like her instead of just sort of liking her is when she's with Ryan.

• Members

AW at the end of May, 1991. This episode has a lot of good scenes with Marley standing up for herself against Jake, who was very creepy and delusional at this time. I'm actually surprised they managed to redeem him. She also has a quick scene with Iris where she says she isn't inviting Iris to the engagement party because of her awful behavior at a party earlier that year, but then after they talk, Marley changes her mind. There are also a few flashbacks of Marley standing up to Jake. They serve as a good example of Ellen Wheeler managing, in her last year or so as Marley, to create a Marley who was close to finally being a character in her own right and not just Vicky's wan sister, and also managing to show the flip side to Vicky (Vicky being a strong woman with a lot of weaknesses, Marley being somewhat weak but sometimes very strong). I think that Ellen Wheeler was the best Marley but feel that Anne's is underrated.

There are also some sweet Paulina/Grant scenes, even if they are hackneyed. Cali seems such a perfect fit as Paulina it's going to be tough for me to accept Judi as this version. I mostly remember Judi's as the later Paulina who was a very different character.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1csxxOx5zE&feature=channel

• Members

I was looking through an SOD from when Cass returned to Bay City in mid-1987, and they said look for him to cross paths with Amanda.

Was the show planning to pair them up? I don't remember them ever going there. I wonder if they planned to have Cass as Rex Allingham try to seduce Amanda for the Cory money or something, but then gave that story to Nicole instead.

• Members

I remember the above SOD issue/article. Shortly after this, Linda Dano found that white marabou piece she's talking about, or had it remade, as it was worked into a story where John Aprea's second character, Alex Nikos, bought Felicia a snazzy outfit for a night out on the town. I have that ep on tape. They get into a big argument because he's telling her what to do and she's all, "Just because you buy me this outfit...!" I think this was around the time her face went through the skylight.

He was always giving her nice gifts, I think he was the one who bought her that Pomeranian, Paris.