Another World

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I always felt like Donna was featured fairly heavily with Swajeski writing?? Seems like Stuart disliked the stories more than she wasn't featured. She probably projected it being an 'ageism' thing which is understandable.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Another question - I just started what I can find of January 1989. Mary's Place has burned down (I have no memory of that from my teenage years - although I know Mary & Vince leave in '89) and Ada seems to be working in a new restaurant and expecting an old flame to come back to town? My impression from today's episode ("Up In Smoke" is how it is labeled on YouTube) is that Ada is running/owner of this new place? Does this ring any bells with anyone?

• Members

Ada's new restaurant was called Cafe Paradise and was featured on AW from 1989 to 1993.  This restaurant was phased out around the time that Constance Ford's Ada died.  Ada hired her old high school boyfriend from World War II, Sidney Sugarman, to work at her restaurant as a chef.  Sidney was played by Larry Haines who had previously played Stu Bergman on Search for Tomorrow for 35 years.  Sidney was featured on the show until the Summer of 1989.

• Members

Thanks! That's the episode I just watched on Friday and led me here to ask the question. I don't have a single memory of anything happening on that set. At least not yet. I'm hoping at some point, I have a flashback realization!

Edited by adrnyc

• Members

The full episode of this is already around, but someone posted a clip of the original broadcast, if you want to see any ads of that era.

I know this was still the strike but my goodness what a slog this must have been to watch, aside from the usual classy performances (and getting to ogle Richard Bekins in bondage). 

I had to laugh at Mac introducing himself as "Mac Cory" on Sandy's answering machine.

• Members

Another where the full episode is around (this is July 24)

@vetsoapfan is it me or is this Alice trying to do a Jacquie Courtney impression and not really succeeding? 

Another example of the talent of Laura Malone. It's a shame they replaced Jerry but I guess Kevin Conroy didn't hurt for work after...

I don't know who their wardrobe person was at this time but the dresses on Blaine and Alice are just awful. 

• Members

I read an interview once with this Alice, Vana Tribbey, who said that when she took over the role, she was given a "very long, very complicated 17-year history" of the character. In this clip, she does seem to be attempting to mimic Jacqueline Courtney, and it's very awkward. In other episodes during Tribbey's run, she did not seem like Courtney (or Alice for that matter) at all.

And yes, the wardrobe is awful, as you say, but not as bad as when JC reprised the role of Alice in 1984.