Another World

• Members

@mikeaw1978 or anyone else who can answer. A question has come up in my soap forum on FB. Are there any videos which show Beverlee McKinsey as Emma Ordway? We are of course aware of video of her as Iris on AW, Iris on TEXAS, someone on LIAMST (we have a rare video of her there). but no one, so far at least, can cite her as Emma. 

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

This doesn't really help much but I will note that in the episode from December 23, 1983 during the Xmas preparations, Rachel and Ada discuss the fact that Ada intends to stay at her own home overnight because Nancy is returning from her ski trip early the following morning. Jane Cameron didn't show up until about 6 months later but the ski trip suggests that SORAS is in progress and Nancy is at least 3 or 4 years older.

I was looking to see if Danielle Burns had other credits that might somehow allow us to make inferences about when she was on AW. I see that the IMDB has her in 84 Charing Cross Road which was released in 1987. I don't know when it was filmed but if it is her she looks very young for 13; I don't know whether they filmed any of the English scenes in the US but she is with the English part of the story; the little boy who plays her brother is called Lee Burns so perhaps he is her real-life brother? She mentions an older sister in this interview.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Yes, I watched those December 1983 episodes in hopes of getting clues about Nancy. Some soap magazines around the time of Jane Cameron's castimg as Nancy in June 1984 mention that she was "last seen nearly a year ago as a child," so I'm guessing Nancy wasn't seen at all even during December 1983-May 1984. I'm not aware of another actress besides Danielle and Jane playing the role, not for lack of trying though.

Angie and Sally's interactions probably had to do with Amgie bonding with Emma, who I think Emma thought Angie was good for Willis. I wish the show had built relationships for Olivia through her father's side with the Matthews like Lemay did with Sally and the Frames (her adopted father's side). 

Edited by mikeaw1978
Typos

• Members

Yes, I think that's right. I wasn't trying to suggest that there was a window where they wedged in a slightly older Nancy, just that if they had aged her up so that Ada was letting her go away for a ski trip that it was probably some length of time since Danielle had appeared in the part, but time in soaps is so elastic that that could mean only weeks.

When Jane Cameron did appear as a 17-or 18-year-old, was Nancy supposed to have been away at boarding school or had she just been around in Bay City offscreen? I know Thomasina and Marley and Carter and Ben were all attending the local high school in the fall of 1984 and I assumed Nancy was as well (even though she was dating Perry who had failed to graduate from college before he came to live with Donna) but then I see that the AWHP synopses for June 1984 refer to Mac paying Nancy's college tuition so now I am not sure.

• Members

Wouldn't that be great to see Bev as Emma?  A complete 360 of Iris.  I wish there was footage of Nancy Wickwire as Liz Matthews, Victoria Thompson as Janice Frame.  Tons of characters with no footage.  Keep this going all.  What actor/actress would you love to see show up from past AW?

I agree about Louise.  I don't know how the show never bought her back for the 25th anniversary as one of the longest actors and not recasted.  I think the actress played the role at least a good 8 or 9 years.  Lemay also did create Louise & Vivian.  I would have thought if the show was searching for history, she would have been a character to come back to celebrate the show but she never really was a major player I guess.

• Members

I didn't even know (or had forgotten past conversations) until looking at the AWHP synopses recently that when Steve told Alice about his father and family for the first time, there were flashbacks of him standing up to his father as he abused his mother. AWHP mentioned that they didn't know who played the father but thought George Reinholt might have. 

Does anyone know for sure? 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Yes, that was frustrating that "Young" Steve and Henry did not have actor credits, though it was amazing that "Young" Willis and Jenny were listed as Chase Crosley and Mark Beal.

I'd love to see video footage of Rachel revealing her pregnancy to Alice as well. I would think Cenedella or Robin Strasser would be among the most likely of anyone if has been preserved but who knows? The audio of it is something I've to more times than I can count.

Danielle's last appearance as Nancy is tough to pin down just because she wasn't really involved in story until she was aged and Jane Cameron took over the role. I recently learned that Jane's first appearance as Nancy was getting a ride home from school in a limousine. Since Danielle played Nancy as a baby to about 9 years old, left the show about a month before Danielle turned 10 years old, and Nancy first appeared on screen in July 1974, I imagine her birthday was May or June 1974 (estimate).

I'd love to see Victoria Thompson as Janice, Janis Young as Bernice, and of course more of Judith Barcroft, Sam Groom, Joe Gallison, Robin Strasser, and Carol Roux. The earliest known footage of Victoria Wyndham as Rachel may be the March 1973 episodes at UCLA. Unfortunately, they're not available for viewing anymore.

Edited by mikeaw1978
Grammatical error

• Members

August 4 and 5, 1969 were the episodes. The new "classic" daily synopses are as complete as possible for May 4, 1964-January 25, 1974 on the AWHP. This project will continue so that, in the future the years 1974, 1977, and 1978 will be complete as well. I wish we could complete 1980-1986 as well, but the collection at Bowling Green ends with 12/31/79. Unfortunately, 1973 is very spotty in that collection, with much of February-March, the last few days of October, and all of November and December conpletely missing. 

Edited by mikeaw1978

• Members

Thank you so much. It's hard to believe that it wasn't Victoria Wyndham playing those scenes. My earliest memories of Another World are of Steve and Alice's wedding at the home Robert designed. So, whenever I read the synopsis, I always picture Victoria Wyndham with her beautiful, thick, dark, but slightly stiff, hair as Rachel. But tonight, I had to remind myself that it was actually Robin Strasser as Rachel who was lusting after Steve.

The setup for the engagement party is perfect.  And, I laughed at the button of the episode from Susan, “The party started out to be so gay… and now all of a sudden… it isn't gay anymore.” I have been there, sis.

I also enjoy the contrast of Rachel and Lenore based on their social status.  When Rachel wants Russ to make more money, or is awed by Steve's business, it is seen as averice.  But, when Lenore wants a house that her husband can't afford as a DA, he's the one who is a loser. I don't think we're supposed to think Lenore is a bad wife for wanting an expensive bedroom set.  For whatever reason she seems to deserve the stuff that Rachel wishes for because she was born into a family of means.

Meanwhile, poor Anne Mason just wanted to expend her business but her daughter was so needy.  Emily Mason is one of a long line of troubled Emily's in Bay City.  But it's funny that we never hear from her again after she goes to boarding school. 

I also appreciate the irony of Wayne Addison's introduction in that he conned Steve's secretary by saying he was Steve's cousin.  We'd later meet many Frame's but never a cousin of Steve's.

My question is, did the audience know that Steve impregnated Rachel before she told Alice?  Or were we led to believe that Russ might have been Jamie's father?  It is such a given at this point in time, but I wonder if the contemporary viewer in 1969 knew, because it seems like Rachel had never confessed it to anyone, including Ada.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Can I ask what is known to be at UCLA from AW? Or if it's more easily, is there a link or site where I can survey what they have? I don't know how accessible it is to the public though my mother is an alumni.