Another World

• Members
Posted (edited)

Was Iris ever actually shown on camera when referenced as being in the South of France, particularly after her divorce from Brian? Or was it just portrayed through Dennis's one-sided phone calls?  For example, did they build a whole set, or was it just Iris in a floppy hat holding a receiver?

I came across a synopsis last night detailing a story about Iris's hostess being upset over her boyfriend flirting with Iris. Subsequently, Iris was upset about Brian selling the house. It all seemed to unfold in the lead-up to Texas. Hence, I'm curious if these events occurred off-screen.

It appears that Beverly McKinsey enjoyed significant time off every year in the late 70s, that necessitated scripting Iris's absence into the storyline.  Which also made me question if it was wise to choose her as the linchpin of Texas, given that she might require lengthy periods of time for vacation.

Edited by j swift

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Not to be contrary, but in May of 1974, I am pretty sure Iris was involved with Kurt Landis, whom she brought as a date to Steve's and Alice's wedding. (The episode is available in its entirety on Eddie Drueding's Another World Home Page.) I know iris and Russ were together in 1975, and she was there to comfort him when Mary Matthews died on Good Friday of that year.

I remember she drifted out of the Matthewses' lives and had little/no interaction with most of them as the years went on.

• Members
Posted (edited)

Yes for sure.  Iris visited Millie Marbury in St Tropez for two different lengthy stays, and both were on camera.  They did build a large set representing Millie's terrace on the coast, with a green-screen (chromakey) Mediterranean Sea behind it.  This may have been the same set used years earlier as Steve Frame's terrace in St Croix, but you'd need to ask Paul Rauch to verify that.  

If my memory is correct, the first time Iris visited St Tropez was in 1978-79, just after she learned she was adopted and fled Bay City.  McKenzie had several weeks off, and then Iris was reintroduced visiting Millie in the south of France.   The second time was when McKenzie broke her shoulder, requiring another several weeks off, and again Iris was reintroduced in scenes from St Tropez.   

The stuff Harding Lemay wrote for Iris's scenes in St Tropez was very interesting.  Most of it, character studies of jet-setting Americans living in Europe.  Millie Marbury was a woman of approximately Iris's age who had long been married to a much older wealthy man.  When her husband died, Millie took-up with a series of younger gold-digging men whom Iris called gigolos. Millie's current boy-toy was a curly-haired stud named Giorgio who spent much of his time on Millie's terrace wearing a Speedo. Millie was quite taken by Giorgio's charms, while Iris saw through his every move (and his vaguely European fake accent) -- often openly making fun of him and ridiculing him for his dependance on an older woman.    

Meanwhile in Bay City, middle-class Susan Matthews had returned to town and was troubled by memories of her long dead brother, Bill.   Susan had several rather odd conversations with Liz about Bill, bringing Bill back into the consciencness of the audience.   While back in St Tropez, Giorgio was exposed as being an American by Iris. Many of the viewers deduced that Giorgio was Bill Matthews back from the dead.

I won't go into the details, but Bill Matthews stayed dead. Giorgio was not Bill.  We will likely never know what Lemay had in mind originally.  Any Lemay fans already know he would not have been a fan of a back from the dead plot.  But had he finally decided to take the leap into that old soap opera trope??  And if so, why did Lemay change his mind after such an intriguing lead-up?   

So Iris's two visits to the south of France had the possibility to drive storyline for years.  But as it turned out, they provided little more than a peak at the lives of wealthy American expats living in Europe.  And I will admit, that was very very interesting stuff. . .

Just a note -- Iris's first visit to St Tropez was definitely written by Harding Lemay. Her  second visit was likely written by Tom King, the head-writer at that time.    

Edited by Mona Kane Croft

• Members

I don't think Donna's perception of class was (at least originally) supposed to be based on wealth as such. The Loves were presented as wealthy and privileged but there was never any industry or trade that explained where their wealth had come from. When Reginald was originally cast they chose a British (*Welsh) actor which sort of feeds into the aristocratic air. Donna would probably have looked down on the Frames because their recent origins were so low. I think Lemay was interested in those types of class difference but a lot of writing regimes didn't do much to portray class.

I remember Catlin and Sally having a conversation during one of their secret meetings while he was in hiding after escaping from jail where she talked about how it would be nice after he was cleared if they could buy a house and he was overwhelmed by how much it would cost and she said that it was reasonable to think that they would be able to have enough money. It was definitely presented as she had a good job and he would be able to get a job and it would be within their reach, not "my father was very rich so I don't have to worry". Later when Taylor Miller was in the role they really leaned into the idea that Sally was too middle-class to understand lower-class Catlin's feelings. I think they went to marriage counselling after she left him because of Brittany's pregnancy.

• Members
Posted (edited)

Interesting.  You are likely correct, but I had almost forgotten about Kurt Landis.  Now I'm wondering why Iris was at Alice and Steve's wedding.  Iris was never close to Alice, although she quickly lost her animosity toward Alice after Alice and Steve reunited.  But still, the two women never became friends.  Maybe Iris attended the wedding because of Steve??  I remember Iris contracted with Frame Enterprises to build her house in Bay City.   Could the wedding have taken place around the same time Steve was building Iris's new house?   Otherwise, I haven't a clue why Iris would have attended that wedding -- unless Iris was already dating Russ at that point.   

Edited by Mona Kane Croft

• Members

This is the best, thank you so much.  I just realized that I must have conflated Millie Marbury with Therese Lamonte (probably because one was associated with a balcony, and one with a terrace).

I mean, if you could get him to post that would be miraculous

I adore the idea of viewer hypotheses being spread pre-internet, it is so fun to think how much of that energy has always been a part of the fandom

Although wasn't she a nurse's assistant (I don't recall if she graduated) and then a magazine editor, and there weren't that many stables in Bay City for Catlin to do his work, so his expectations were kind of accurate. 

• Members

I don't recall the details, but even at the time I found it curious that Iris would be at Alice's wedding to Steven. I would not have been surprised to see Ada there (she did not attend the ceremony) because of her close relationship with Mary, but Iris? Hmmm.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Is it true that Mary Matthews does not appear in the wedding episode (and AW's 10th anniversary)?  Although I was watching AW daily during that period, I unfortunately missed the wedding episode.  I've seen reports online that Mary was said to be "out of town" for the wedding episode, and all of Mary's lines were transferred to Liz.  Does anyone know if that is accurate.  It is clear, Mary is not included in the wedding photo.    

• Members

Mary Matthews is indeed on the 10th anniversary episode, and in fact, appears quite prominently.

Virginia Dwyer is missing from some of the publicity photos of the wedding, but Mary did attend the ceremony and was in other scenes during the day as well.

Check out the entire episode from May 3, 1974 on Eddie Drueding's AW Home Page.

http://www.anotherworldhomepage.com/tenthanniversary.html

• Members

In real life Beverlee Mckinsley was on sick leave in 1980.  I think that is time you are probablly referencing.  Carol Shelley temporarly  played the role for Iris for about 3 months but had a commitment on Broadway and had to exit so they sent Iris on vacation until Bev was well enough to come back to the show.

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

Apologies in advance for the retread, but I need help with this photo

L to R

Aunt Liz, Russ, Steve, Jim, Alice, Robert, Lenore, Iris, and then who are the couple on the right?

Also, is this the debut of Steve and Alice's house that Robert designed?

• Members

No.  The house had been featured for several years by that point (1974).   Robert designed the house while he was still living (and appearing) in/on Somerset.   

Thanks for the information.  I'm happy Ms Dwyer wasn't omitted from AW's 10th anniversary episode.  I do know she was often treated shabbily by Mr. Lemay and Mr Rauch.