Another World

• Members
Posted (edited)

The story was also presented in a salacious manner, opting not to share Lisa's perspective, but rather voyeuristically portraying her in her underwear through Dr. Glaser's lens. Rather than showcasing female empowerment, it presented Lisa solely as a damsel in distress. What's more, at various times either Lisa faced disbelief, or Jamie felt compelled to caution her because nobody trusted her ability to assess risks independently.

I looked it up and this story pre-dates the Sharon Stone movie Sliver, but it is the same issue.  Rather than telling a story about a woman being victimized, the movie was sold on the provocative images of the actress while she was being peeped by her neighbor. 

Edited by j swift

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It was soooo creepy. And what made that storyline so fantastic. The entire storyline had been so sick and twisted and the reveal of who it was and why cemented how sick and twisted it really was. It was something you'd see more on primetime than daytime and maybe that's why it's so controversial. But my high school self marveled in how dark and scary it was.

• Members

And for me it was complicated because I knew the actor David O'Brien from his role as Dr. Steve Aldrich on THE DOCTORS. And, while he was a ladies' man, also probably a player, and was with many different women, at his core he was a nice guy. 

• Members

I know we have talked a lot about Hugh Marlowe as Jim Matthews and touched on his Hollywood career, but I did not realize until I caught the end of All About Eve on TCM tonight that he played Lloyd, Karen (Celeste Holm)'s husband.

• Members

Hugh Marlowe was on contract with 20th century Fox so was in a lot of their movies in the 50's. All About Eve was probably the most acclaimed/best known but Night and the City and Twelve O'Clock High were also well received.

• Members
Posted (edited)

I think he was very good in films.  But he wasn't prepared for the hard work of daytime.  He was lovable as Jim Matthews, but he blundered his lines constantly.  Have you seen the interview with Ariana Muenker, where she discusses Marlowe forgetting his lines?  

Edited by Mona Kane Croft

• Members

I know that Iris and her anger over Alice's relationship with Elliot/bond with Dennis was used to help reunite Alice and Steve. Did Iris and Alice, or Alice and Dennis, ever have any major interaction after that story ended? I wonder if the show ever thought of the story potential of pairing Dennis and Sally.

• Members
Posted (edited)

One thing that always surprises me is that it seems people either don't know or don't remember how active soap fans were online BITD. Yes, it's true we were at DOS 2.0 and Windows 3.0 and I think Apple was AppleII and Macintosh & we were all on dial-up at 14.4.

AW had a large presence as soon as the Internet was completed, which was '93 & by '94 Eddie had the basic AWHP up & fleshed out by the next year. Also most actors had individual web pages & in general they were created & maintained by fans. The Fan Club presidents of AW, ATWT & GL were employees of P&G. By that I mean they were fans who were paid. They maintained a consistent presence online pretty much everywhere. 

Compuserve had a very active Soap Opera area where I believe Jonathan Reiner was.

AOL not only had their own Soap area but were the contracted hosts for DIGEST. Here is a picture BTS at a chat with Charles Keating & Victoria Wyndham. A fan had won an Essay contest & got to be a guest. 

At Delphi we had a very active Soap Opera Forum & we had actors in chats. More ATWT & AW than any other soaps. I was the typist for VW in one & we were all hooked up online & Mary Keating was typing for CK & in the background I could hear him ranting & swearing. It was hilarious but he was giving his wife fits. I typed another chat for Lisa Peluso. I was the Asst. Mgr. there. 

Prodigy also had a very active Soap Opera group. DAYS was huge & so was GH

I'm sure soap fans were active on GEnie & NVN. I just have no knowledge about it.

On Usenet there was so much soap talk in the group rec.arts.tv that they created a new group rec.arts.tv.soaps and that covered all US daytime soaps. Then in 1995 once again the soap traffic was of such a large quantity that they split the group again making rec.arts.tv.soaps.abc & rec.arts.tv.soaps.cbs and rec.arts.tv.soaps.misc

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Contessa Donatella
RATS

• Members
Posted (edited)

Sally and Peter probably gave the same vibes, in terms of story, as Sally and Dennis.  Especially because Iris wasn't on the canvas while Sally was a young adult.

It is ironic that they played up the class differences between Sally and Peter (or at least, Donna and Catlin mentioned it), because given Sally connections to Steve and Mac, she had access to more wealth than the Love family.

I mean, I know Steve didn't die as the “richest man in Bay City”, like that infamous promo once stated, but Sally wasn't eating Hamburger Helper either.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Adult Dennis was in Bay City from June 1978 until he left for Texas in 1980. At that time he was mostly getting involved with Cecile and Elena and Sally was in her delinquent phase. To the extent that Peter and Donna Love replaced Dennis and Iris, I can see that if the Carringtons had stayed they might have played out a similar story for Sally with them. Although Donna being Marley's mother added a little something to that plot that Iris would not have provided. Later, when Dennis came back and was involved with Marley and Olivia, Sally was already dead.

• Members
Posted (edited)

At the time of Alice and Steve's second wedding, Iris was either dating Russ, or engaged to him.  By the time Alice married that loser Ray Gordon, I think Iris and Russ had broken up.  So not sure why Iris would have attended the Alice/Ray wedding, but perhaps she did.

Iris maintained a close friendship with Russ, which was referenced often throughout the 1970s and again in 1988-89. And Iris was very close friends with Liz Matthews during the entire time Beverlee McKenzie was in the role.  When Carmen Duncan played Iris, the friendship with Liz was completely forgotten and the two women had very few scenes together.   Interestingly, Iris had very little interaction with either Alice or Pat (after her initial plot pitting her against Alice and Elliot) -- almost no interaction with the two Matthews sisters really.  They just weren't in Iris's orbit, I suppose.   Iris did have lots of scenes with John Randolph, because he was her attorney.   

Edited by Mona Kane Croft