Another World

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yes. Attitudes is actually where I knew Linda from for quite a while - I watched a lot of the Lifetime lineup as a kid and didn't watch AW until its last few years on the air. 

I always remember her with Nancy Glass, or Dee Kelly, for some reason.

I forgot to say Victoria Wyndham is also in this talking about obsessed fans - I think her interview was or is already up elsewhere on its own.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

Dee Kelly had that iconic haircut, and it was cringy/fun when they'd let her sing.  She was Lifetime's answer to Kathie Lee.

Looking back, it is remarkable that they got Donna Karan and Oscar De la Renta.  I recall they tried to bring Attitudes back years later and it was not a success.

Jerry Penacoli is a good Instagram follow. 

Here he is with his husband and daughter      

My favorite memory of Attitudes was when Linda Dano got hair extensions for Felicia's birthday party.  Then they had a circus demo on Attitude and when she hung upside down, some of her extensions fell out.

Edited by j swift

• Members

I believe you are mistaken about which Matt knew what when. Daniel Dale's Matt was a little bit SORASed (from a little kid to about 14/15) in 1986 and got to know ex-con Mitch even though both Mac and Rachel were a bit difficult about it, but I don't think this Matthew ever knew about the way he was conceived.

Liz had been away (probably since Sally's death, disposing of Kevin Thatcher and never mentioning him again) since before Matthew was aged up to Daniel Dale and then suddenly returned for Thanksgiving 1987. She was the one who looked in Sam's personnel file and revealed to Mac that Mitch was Sam's emergency contact right before Amanda found out she was pregnant. Mac was upset that Sam was related to Mitch and that Rachel had known. Daniel Dale stayed on until New Year's but I don't think Liz told him any of the distressing details of St Croix etc etc.

Matt Crane was a little bit older when he arrived in March 1988. The AWHP synopses for 1988 seem to have the startling revelations from Liz on October 6, 1988. Liz was spouting off about how terrible Jason was (causing trouble for both Mac and Nicole) and Frames in general in Matthew's presence, and just went too far listing all of the Frame crimes she could think of, including Janice. Matthew ran to Rachel and got her version of events, which he did not like at all even though she assured him that Mitch had ultimately helped prevent Janice from killing Mac.

• Members

This led to one of my favorite scenes - where Rachel iced a weeping, ashamed Liz out of the family. This didn't last very long (I can't even remember how much resolution it had onscreen), but you could see, one last time, Harding Lemay's Rachel in full form.

• Members

So true.  Almost creepy.  Even BC being a small town is no excuse for foes to become lovers but after all it is a soap serial.  7 Frame siblings that actually aired.  Apparently 2 others named Henry and Norman (note, I think Lemay introduced only by mentioning Norman in the early 70's but never mentioned again).  I loved the Frame family as I come from a big family but it got so sloppy over the years.  New characters introduced while past characters almost never mentioned again.

• Members

You need a balance of core families and new characters and AW had periods with a lot of HW turnover where it erred on the side of too many new characters. In terms of inbreeding, Alli's family tree was more complicated than most. Hardly any of the babies born in Bay City were SORASed to adulthood, and most if not all (Nancy, Amanda, Matthew, Maggie, Alli?) were related to Mac and/or Rachel. The McKinnons bred no new children until post-cancellation rewarded Jake with twins with Vicky. And Victoria was the only Love to procreate although her children would also be related to Gregory Hudson who would be a first cousin once removed of Steven through both his Frame side and his Hudson side.

The question of new characters reminded me of my least favourite mechanism for introducing new characters: the dead fakeout. A character who has never been seen alive in Bay City, and has either never been mentioned until recently or was discussed only as the long-dead parent of an existing character suddenly turns out to be alive.  

Reginald, Mary, and Justine were the parental variety.

Brittany, Edward Gérard, and John were the out of thin air variety.

All but Justine were created between 1985 and 1987. Half of them were during Margaret Depriest's tenure as HW. Only John lasted longer than a couple of years. 

• Members

I don't know if Kevin Anderson fits that brief, but I enjoyed that plot.

The logic was questionable, but there was real potential in giving Jake a brother who was sort of his antithesis. Also, it helps that James Goodwin is such a charismatic actor in the role.  A far cry from his previous work.  And Kevin was written with a degree of complexity that it was always difficult to pinpoint his motives.

• Members

Was Jake's brother presumed dead? I thought he just didn't know that his father had another son until Kevin told him. I was categorizing him as a love child from the past, like Sandy, Paulina, or Nick.

Maybe I should have included Lorna though, depending on how long Felicia talked about her dead baby before Lucas revealed she had survived. If it was all in one conversation though I would say she is definitely just a love child from the past.

• Members

I find myself wondering if a part of the reason for Mitch's 180 degree about face from helping Janice poison Mac to helping Rachel get Mac to some medical care in the nick of time, was so he could more readily have a relationship with Matt later on. I've puzzled over his motivation many times. 

Edited by Donna L. Bridges
typo

• Members

Thin air is where a lot of characters appear from, especially love children but also nephews (Neal and Adam) or former boyfriends (Sid "Sharkey" Sugarman). I'm probably just mad because I disliked Brittany and early John so much and what they have in common is they were introduced as dead and then suddenly turned out to be alive. If I had liked those storylines better I probably wouldn't be acting as if there was a correlation that makes that plot device bad.