Another World

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

GL sure did! And the completely lost the Reverend & his sermons. 

Sure, that was why I specified the character changes. I mean Gloria Monty definitely reinvented GH & most of her changes were production paired with writing changes from Marland so unlike this discussion. But, Nixon at AW was characters & writing. 

I've always thought he meant the Gregory family. Lipton's error that Agnes fixed. I can't imagine who else it could be.

Yes, the Corys became core & stayed. Perhaps the Frames could be considered core? IDK. 

• Members

AW was never my soap but some of the time periods fascinate me, as well as its rise and fall. Would the exits of George and Jacquie long-term have caused them to fall off in the late-70s or would that more so be the 90 minute experiment? Perhaps the show was in a good place once they were recast but the thrill wore off on top of the 90 minute experience? 

That’s one thing I don’t understand is how they squandered Courtney’s return in 1984, if they positioned that well with some good marketing, it could have set them up well for years to come. 

• Members

I think the view is that the show was fading around 1977, which is one of the reasons Lemay brought in the stories he claimed he would never have done before then, like Sven's reign of terror and Pat killing her daughter's sleazy boyfriend in a psychotic break. 

• Members

If you're talking about Pete, I'm sure of it. He was completely in thrall with his characters. And, he thoroughly enjoyed his reputation. He talks about not knowing as they were doing it, that they were doing anything special. Which is natural, common sense, etc. But you can tell he likes that people think highly of it. And who wouldn't? 

• Members

This is my most hated urban myth in the history of Another World -- the myth that James Lipton replaced (or was replacing) the Matthews family with a new core family, the Gregorys.  Actually, the Gregory family replaced the Baxter family (not the Matthews). The Baxters began to exit after Pat Matthews' first trial for murder, so Lipton wrote-in the Gregorys. In fact, Lipton wrote-out no members of the Matthews family.  Although Grandma Matthews, Susan, and the adolescent Russ had been written out by earlier writers.   

Another somewhat incorrect myth about a later head-writer is that Harding Lemay wrote-out the Matthews family. Here is the truth: I will admit Lemay's writing choices eventually led to the decimation of the Matthews family on AW (by killing-off the family matriarch (Mary) and two long-term popular sons in-law (Steve Frame and John Randolph), and recasting the female romantic lead of the show (Alice) -- all during Lemay's tenure.  Whew!  But it is important to note that, as those characters left, Lemay repopulated the Matthews family with returning family members and grown-up children.  So, believe it or not; in February 1979 (just before the 90-minute expansion), the Matthews family was still the largest family on AW (still larger than the Cory family, including in-laws and not including servants).  

John Randolph was killed-off on March 6, 1979, and by mid-April Harding Lemay had resigned as head-writer.  After that, the Matthews family disappeared one-by-one in fairly quick succession.