CBS: More Cuts To Come?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know some soaps were never writers'-room soaps, one problem occured when they got rid of that one from the others that were.

And no BDWs is another problem. I could also settle for 4 SWs. Perhaps 3, with someone doing double duty occasionally.

• Members

I don't understand why they need 8 writers to write a 60 mintue show? In the 70's, Y&R was written by TWO people (Bill Bell and Kay Alden, some eppies were written by Bell alone)... a 30 minute serial. Why can't they do the job with 5? I have another idea... tell me if this is feasible. Would it help the soaps' budgets to go to only 4 episodes a week? take one day a week (Call it way back wednesday, or flashback friday.. however you want to package it) and air a classic episode 1 day a week, and have one of the Y&R actors film a short "introduction" to the eppy each week, giving any background that's relevant for that week's episode, the original airdate, etc... Would this help? Viewers seem to really like flashback and classic eps.

• Members

That was in the era before mass production took effect in order to slash production costs. The more writers you have, the more episodes get written, thus the faster a show is produced. Time is money, and it's been more evident in the past decade or so.

Classic, or re-run soap episodes do not bring in the ratings. We've seen that when CBS airs the rare "classic" Y&R or B&B ratings aren't there. The networks wouldn't know what to do with one free day during the week, and costs would probably be to much to air a show once a week in daytime.

• Members

Well, I'm not sure I agree about big teams...but I also don't profess to have knowledge of the writing process.

In general, if you have an effective coordinatorial system, i.e., quality control, there is something to be said for having that diversity of voices that you harness into a common product. That makes the show sound like it contains real people.

It is tricky. I do believe what Kay Alden said: the show SHOULD sound like the show. But I have enjoyed seeing different writers mostly script episodes related to particular characters...one gets a sense of a consistent voice behind each character.

Now, let me also say that 47 writers don't have to cost that much...one would assume that they get paid less than writers on a team with higher per-writer workloads.

Finally, you seem to deride consistency as a basis for supremacy. This is a long story that I can't get into here, but there are good reasons to prefer consistency over high level achievement. High level of achievement, by its very nature, usually can't be maintained. Consistency therefore is more sustainable, from a homeostatic perspective.

In living systems, for example, it is the CONSISTENT organism that thrives, not usually the extremes.

• Members

I make no claims to broader knowledge. I am content to restrict the range of "greatness" or "supremacy" to US daytime.

Exactly. I support this conclusion fully.

What is the empirical basis for the superiority of this size? And where is the HW in this formula?

Let me say that organizational research sort of backs up what you say, in that real problems begin to emerge when team sizes get too large.

But I am focused on MAB's team specifically, and the quality of the product I'm seeing on a daily basis. What I think I am seeing is that each episode is clearly tied -- in plot, characterization, and "voice" -- to the recent and distant episodes that preceded it.

This is quite different from LML's days.

More importantly, when you have that clear "through line" across episodes, it either speak to excellent up front directions, or excellent post-draft quality control/editing and continuity management. I see that happening.

When you have this excellent pre- and post-coordination, team size becomes an irrelevant factor.

I speak, again, not as anyone who knows a THING about writing, but who knows just a smidgen (that's all) about organizational management.

• Members

B&B camera standard crew consists of three people, some years ago it would have been four or five. On Y&R they gone down thrown five to six down to three to four in the last couple of months. Sth. similar has happened to most other departments as well.

As Y&RWorldTurner mentioned it: two (probably costly) longtime staffers seem to be gone (I don't know their age but assume their still below retirement age) Scha Jani and Charles Guzzi, although they could also be doing Survivor or any other CBS reality crap.

• Members

I think the jury is out on that. CBS has only aired classic episodes on Holidays, which are ALWAYS low rated days to begin with. My mother never watched Y&R on holidays, she was busy cooking... and every time she would say.. "It's a holiday, they never do ANYTHING important on a holiday". soapnet aired classic eps during the graveyard shift, but never in a PRIME slot. Nobdoy has REALLY tried it in a way in which the classic eps have a real chance. And the classic eps would need to be chosen to cooincide with what is going on in the story today, like they did with the Christmas classic eppy with Clint/Marge (and BTW, did Clint not have the cutest ass you've ever seen?) I think as an anniversary special, they should try this next march for the entire month, and see how it goes. And the previous days' eppy could show previews of the classic eppy (but make sure there's a voiceover to tell the viewer that an ALL NEW episode will be back the day after) I really think it could work if done right... I think it's at least wotrh a try. And if it doens't work, go back to the 5 day a week new episode format, no harm, no foul.

Archived