CBS: More Cuts To Come?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In case of ATWT and GL with the yearly renewals this could happen.

B&B and Y&R have longterm deals with the network - with B&B up next (?) year and in store for a serious slashing, I assume, considering current ratings - which CBS of course could try to renegotiate but the Bells are in a more comfy position since it's much harder to find a replacement for a 5 day programme than a primetime series you can replace with a special 60 Minutes or so...

That said; both Bell productions have trimmed their behind the scenes staff in recent months. They did cut all freelancers in sound/camera/editing and even the contracted staff has been slightly cut back.

• Members

I haven't noticed too many changes in the credits with regard to the camera/sound/editing people at B&B? Am I missing something?

That might have been because of the limited work schedule leading up to their Christmas hiatus and/or that week they had the shortened episodes for the NCAA Tourney. Either that, or maybe Y&R/B&B refuses to credit them and, instead, chooses to credit others that they deem more important to the process(i.e. the recent additions to the credits that include the international marketing and distribution team). But as I've said, I might be missing something.

I can't even imagine what would happen if B&B's budget is further slashed. I mean, they would learn how to survive and deal and look flawless per usual, but I just don't want to even think about it.

• Members

You have a show that is widely regarded (if not by you) as the best on daytime. Best writing, best acting, best casting, best production values.

And you want to tamper with it??

Okay, um, why?

You seem to be responding to the efficiencies of the system, without regard to the outcomes. Y&R rocks, and yes that is a fanboy speaking. Maria can have 47 writers if she wishes, IMO.

• Members

You know that whole story of how Julius Caesar once said he'd rather be first in a village than second in Rome? That's what's happening here. Y&R is the best because all the others — suck. (Another problem is that people aren't really offering a 32nd chance to win them over to their shows...) And this is nothing new. Consistency is what made Y&R stay at the top. Not so much the beauty of its stories.

System would be even more efficient if those writers weren't so different among themselves. But that's not the only thing that's not working out: GH people are different, yet as a team — they're great. Y&R does not have a team, it has executioners, people who do stuff for money. (God, that sounded dumb... :rolleyes: But I hope you'll get the point.)

Furthermore, someone has to pay those 47 writers. Meaning — less money for Jess Walton. Or whomever else...

Big teams don't work.

• Members

Let me explain this further, I cannot resist. :DY&R is not the best soap on a planetary basis nor is it the best soap there ever was nor is this the best Y&R has ever been (Rome). It's the best in a little "village" called US daytime.

• Members

I agree with that. Didn't people criticize LML for having way too many writers on staff? I think the most a soap should have is 8, and I'm being generous. Five should be enough for an hour long program, and that would give you very good consistency. There have been times where I've seen 10-13 credited on ATWT, GL, OLTL in the late 90s, and that was no help to them. I think Y&R has enough writers right now who can spit out another soap. They have like 2 writing teams on staff.

• Members

Why would an hourlong show only need five writers? Would said show eliminate the breakdown position and would the headwriter(who, in more cases than not, has an ego anyway) write a script for an episode, on his/her own instructions, rather than having a breakdown writer map the path for him?

Archived