Daytime's Oldest Sets

• Members

On Y&R the Newman ranch was introduced in 1980.It was redecorated to it's current look in 1989.

That set is badly in need of an update.Sticking a sketch of Sabrina on the wall is not enough!

The Abbott house has been around since 82.

This has been discussed before,but I feel it too needs an update,Some of the pieces are hideous.Another poster argued that rich people wouldn't change their house,but I feel a few appropriate changes would be welcome.The breakfast room is a nightmare of clashing colors.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think it depends on the kind of person you are.... I don't change my house. I think it's "middle class" people who are always "updating" things. The rich, alot of times.. DO keep things the same, restore or keep historical things. In this day and age of budget cuts... I say NO NEED to redecorate, if nothing else... they can buy a couple gallons of PAINT and change the walls in the Newman Ranch.. a fresh look for not much money. Right now, it's that burnt peach color... used to be celadon.... I don't know WHAT you'd change it to? I think all the sets look good, no need to spend money redecorating.

• Members

One thing to keep in mind when it comes to the decoration of houses of the upper class and the rich (not the new moneyed super rich), they often hire interior decorators who incorporate period pieces in the home to reflect the owner's tastes. Through their travels all around the world, they collect various pieces of art such as paintings, tapestries, carpets, etc. Things you may see in a Christie's or Sotheby's auction. For example, if you were to look at Brooke Astor's pre-war co-op that has been on the market for about a year now, nothing has been changed since Albert Hadley decorated it in the late 60s, early 70s. Reasons being are the rooms become so iconic. When you entertain, your guests always have a familiar sense of your home. The world around Park Avenue may be changing every day, but one will always expect to see those chintz sofas in her living room and those ox-blood red lacquered walls of her library, the most photographed room in New York.

This is why the Abbott house and the Chancellor Mansion are never really changed. Things are refreshed, but never redecorated. Katherine's tastes would not change over the years. Just like Jack would inherit his father's tastes by keeping the house the same.

• Members

I always thought that set was hideous, it was great and marbly but looked so cheap and fake, nothing remotely like a mansion. I was SO happy when they completely re-did it, I just wish they would have mentioned the change on the show.

• Members

Llanfair burned down on Halloween 1992. Jessica's pumpkin started it- or a candle or something. Gottlieb completely revamped OLTL's production values and lighting. A completley new set was built and is the set we see today- although it has gotten new wallpaper, ect. They changed the wood trim around the bookcases, fireplace, ect

I liked the understated grey that Gottlieb did much better..

The new Llanfair was revealed when Bo and Cassie's wedding was held there in November- and the awesome Alex brought back Sarah who was alive!!

Archived