GH: Week Of Jan 12th

• Members

Aside from the fact that NL cannot act, I think that these stunt returns wear on the audience. We are already asked to stretch our credibility with SORAS and some of these stories, why kill off a character and then bring back the actress in another role a year later. There is nothing exciting or positive about this, instead it may make some of the audience roll its eyes and tune out.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Guza is notorious for having his flavor of the month and they're the best thing since sliced bread, and then he burns out on them and is onto the next thing once the audience starts to invest. He has no follow-through. Just like Guza threw Juan over for Zander, he threw Zander over for Nikolas. And he's done it again more recently with Lulu's romances, throwing Dillon over for Logan, and then throwing Logan over for Johnny. I'm glad Dillon got away from GH without being murdered.

I see what you mean about the importance of a character like Emily, but that's not what we're getting. At least as far as we know right now. We're getting the less important of the two in this situation, the mediocre actress, in an unproven character. With undetermined ties to the canvas, if any. I consider that a further bastardization of the canvas, not a step toward fixing it.

I agree with you 100%. It makes me wonder exactly how egotistical Guza is that if he has lost interest in a character they all must senselessly die, rather than let them leave town in case the NEXT writer (hopefully there will be one replacement for Guza before GH's cancellation!) is inspired by the character and wants to write for them. To kill characters like Alan, AJ, Emily, Justus, Logan, Georgie... especially when they had dynamite actors in the roles (at least for Alan, AJ, Georgie and Logan), it's so short-sighted, so selfish, so insulting to the cast and the audience.

I totally agree about Chad Brannon, and there were a LOT of missed opportunities with him. As I just said, it fits with Guza's usual patterns of just losing interest. He has the attention span of a five year old. And you won't catch me missing Courtney from this canvas either or complaining that SHE died. Thank goodness she did. I'm really suspecting some staff writer snuck that in while Guza was on vacation, because I can't imagine Guza would have given a green light to the death of Sonny's sister.

As for Livingston on Beyond the Horizon, I don't think she's necessarily a BAD actress, she was just not cast toward her strengths in the role of Emily. She was completely miscast, and I didn't buy any of the "goodness" she tried to bring to Emily. It's not that I think Livingston isn't a good person either, I just feel like she probably didn't LIKE her character all that much, and it manifested itself through a lack of commitment to the typical Emily goodness the writers tried to portray in every scene. I cast her in a role that is snide, sarcastic, self-centered, hostile and defensive. Because I feel like Livingston would thrive in a scene where she's nasty to someone (not condescending because she thinks she's better than them, but NASTY because she knows they are better than her). So I will wait until I see how this role pans out because if she was cast toward THOSE qualities I want to see her with, I may end up liking her after all.

OH...... I just saw a scene with her and Matt at the hospital, and it does look like she's more the character I wanted to see her in. SO I'm now getting optimistic.

What's hard for me to swallow is that we're already watching Sarah Brown in another role, and pretty much one year later, we're watching Livingston in a new role, and she wasn't anywhere near Sarah Brown's level that I think it's worth it. They basically cut out a core character, brought back the actress in a role that has yet to prove rooting value. I don't understand why a soap would deliberately set itself back like that.

• Members

They are trying way too hard to show us NL's new character is a bitch. The black leather and gum chewing were a bit much.

Jarly :wub:

Guess we can say goodbye to Leyla! When a character is reduced to the backburner and then given an off screen love interest, you just know they're about to die!

• Members

LOL, the whole Leyla thing was so awkward, wasn't it?! They should have just let her fade away off-screen, or die and have the characters mention that she never found true love, and how sad that is. Clubbing us over the head with her off-screen love interest in ONE scene is just ridiculous. What a waste. Hope another soap snaps Nazanin Boniadi up.

• Members

Who knew chewing gum makes a character bad. NL is a joke.

I'm glad that someone else gets my frustration with this situation on GH. I always say that I don't think that the quality or the stories on the soaps are responsible for the weekly rating fluctuation, but I do think that too blunders like this one with Emily contributes to the audience getting annoyed and switching the channel over time.

• Members

Daytime Confidential refers to Sam as the "penis inspector" and while I don't hate Sam, it can make watching GH a laugh-out-loud experience. Especially when Sam started confiding in Anthony: "I left Jason because I don't need a man controlling my life... oh, and Ric's just jealous because I rejected him after we slept together while he was married to my mom." Woah there, Sam! TMI! This is a job interview, not Springer!

Maxie = voice of wisdom. Yeah, Maxie, I don't buy Lulu & Johnny either. LOL, Soap Zone refers to them as Lulu & Johnny!Johnny!Johnny! Why is Lulu so smug and obnoxious? Why is Julie Marie Berman playing her this way?

I'm willing to bet that Dante (if he ever shows up) & Lulu will be in the works, though. Poor Dante. At least Johnny!Johnny!Johnny! could luck out with Maxie.

Dr. Matt Drake. What is the point of you?

OK, don't kill me Scrubs fans, but Patrick and Liz have the nicest chemistry.

Carly needs to just make a move on Jason because she's been hungering after her "best friend" for 12 years.

Leyla = Marked for Death.

Don't know what to make of Natalia as Rebecca. Hair & Make-Up continue to overload that poor girl's face with lip-gloss, foundation and eye-liner. There is something Keira Knightley-esque about her looks, though. And, gum-chewing aside, I do like the fiestier vibe coming from NL. The only problem is, GH is filled to the brim with "feisty," snarky females. Carly, Lulu, Maxie, Olivia, Claudia... now Rebecca. Some are becoming downright interchangeable -- Carly/Lulu, Olivia/Claudia/Sam etc.

• Members

I was skeptical about them initially, however I bought them after Lulu had the breakdown. Even though it was a gross Luke/Laura re-write of the 2002 storyline I still found them to be rootable. J&LL are by far the best couple Lulu has had and I kind of hope that they survive Guza's maelstrom head writing.

I think that would be horrible for Lulu's character. Going from Dillon to Logan to Johnny to Dante would be disasterous especially in a barely three year period between all four of them. It would make any Lulu pairing a complete joke.

I don't care for Storms as a dramatic actress, she works much better in comedy/romance Bradford is a better fitting partner for her. If they break Johnny and Lulu up I would rather Johnny just go back to the mob storyline they have for him as Lulu the main reason he is doing this in the first place.

• Members

okay so...

Nikolas & Robin & Patrick & Liz would be a perfect storyline. The four of them together all work. liz/robin and patrick/nik have good friend chem, liz/nik, liz/pat, pat/robin, robin/nik all have good romantic chem.

Sam & Jason... humm... i dont hate them. Spinelli is love.

Carly vs Robin is always great, tho this round i am so team Carly.

I cant wait to see the rest of this play out. i love the hour by hour episode format.

Archived