GH: Week Of Jan 12th

• Members

Sarah Brown is one of the better people on GH, but her character has to be one of the most boring ever. I don't know why I am supposed to watch her. Is she a villain? If so what is her scheme? Is the the heroine? If so who is tormenting her? She just takes up space. Rick Heart his man fans say is talented, but outside of the Panic Room story I can't think of a single instance where I said to myself "I love watching Ric". His character is like the barometer for whether an episode will be pointless time killing or not. If he is on, you know nothing significant will happen, nothing interested will be said, and by the end you will be editing the entire experience from your mind. Kirsten Storms has become the MVP of the show although I wish she would put on some weight. I don't know why the show wastes her though on so much fluff.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I disagree.

She may not be the best dramatic actress on the show, but i do apperacate when in scenes like when maxie found out georgie died, when she saw georgies body, the speech at the funeral, the breakdown at kellys, her post-breakup dinner with coop & turning to logan, and various other emotional scenes how she plays the emotion. it always fits. she has done it subtle, and she has done it over the top - and that works for maxie. Maxie is a very over the top person, yet she also likes to hide her emotions. now if its her making good choices, or having good direction, i dont know.

i still think her greatest emotional scene was the one on the bridge with Mac. when she told him how she feels being stuck between robin and georgie, two perfect people.

and also i love that she doesnt shrill and shriek in her dramatic scenes (yes i am talking about people like you julie berman!)

• Members

I am second to no one in wishing those characters would be off the show, but just by virtue of not being them doesn't mean Robin's story is good. It's like an assault on my last nerve. KMc just plays Robin as annoyed and irritated--no different than the way she has played Robin in almost every scene with Patrick for the last three years. It and she are a total bust.

• Members

I haven't always agreed with how Robin has been written or how Kim has been instructed to play her as shut down and defensive. It never rang true to me that Robin could become this isolated with no friends or lose her sense of humor living all those years Paris. In the moments when Robin has been allowed to drop the defensive act, we got glimpses of the real Robin. Overall, Kim has been an asset to GH since her return, IMO, the PPD story has been well done so far. Robin seems more uncertain, scared and in denial than anything else. Lucky thing, we don't have enjoy the same stories or characters.

Agreed, KS is not the strongest actress, but she does have talent and does solid work in dramatic scenes. It is good that she understands that all the wailing is not necessary to convey emotion.

• Members

KMC isnt really impressing me with this PPD storyline, but i dont thinks she is doing bad either. She does have this monotone in everything she does tho, and ir eally cant tell a diff between robin with PPD and robin upset with patrick and robin happy and robin as a dr and robin as a daughter etc.. she plays everything the same for the most part IMHO.

• Members

The thing about her dramatic scenes are that they pretty much are what they are. Everything is on the surface, there is absolutely nothing about them that takes them to the next level or really impresses me. I thought her break-up/mean scene with Spinelli was just down right painful Bradford was marginally better but the scene was awkward and lacked a lot of the emotional punch that it needed. She just can't become invested in her material to emote a strong emotion in any scene. She lacks strength in so much of her scenes and it shows.

Berman is the superior dramatic actress of the two, hands down. Take any tape of Lulu in the mental ward last year or any material with her abortion storyline or even with Luke's heart storyline and it blows any scene in Kirstens career away. Kirsten has nice chemistry and can work a comedic storyline rather well overall she is more consistent and more "there" at times then Berman is but when Berman brings it, it's visceral and it's honest. She can do hysterical without it ringing false and clumsy because she has conviction of her acting choices and has the tools to work the scene out. Kirsten seems overwhelmed in most (if not all) of her dramatic scenes. The way she approaches them is quite odd to, I'm not sure if it's the direction or if it's just her acting choice.

• Members

i realy couldnt disagree more. for me her emotional scenes are all about the depth she has in the role. the simi-breakup scene between spinelli and maxie was great because you could tell that maxie felt bad for what she had done. it was visable on kirstens face, the tone of her voice was diff, she was saddened and couldnt beliebe she had done this yet again.. yet at the same time as bad as maxie feels she also honestly believes that what she does is for the best, and she is right. kirsten never really goes full force into emotional and what not because Maxie wouldnt do that. IMHO anyways.

again, her scene with Mac on the bridge is a great example of this.

Berman is without a doubt the better dramatic actress - when she wants to be. thats my biggest issue with berman, she is a lazy actress. she only steps up when she feels like it. and IMHO the mental storyline she was downright painful to watch and not in a good way most of the time. her shrieking and scenery chewing could put the worst of the worst to shame. she also had yet to infuse any rootablity into lulu aside from when its written. she adds nothing to the role at this point. Julie Berman from when she came on up until around the triangle with logan and johnny was great. from that triangle to now, shes just not brining it.

• Members

IA that laziness plays a part. Not to dump on Berman all the time, but when she rushes through her lines, it really does seem like she couldn't care less. She also seems to be parodying Laura Wright's delivery in some scenes. Now, I'm biased and I know LW's fans will defend her here (which is cool), but this makes Lulu even LESS rootable for me. There is nothing likeable about LW's Carly, IMO. And seeing JMB playing Lulu as Carly's Mini-Me makes it worse. In JMB's defense, this could be a directive from on high. I remember when Frons referred to Lulu as "the next Carly" about two years ago. She's probably doing her job but Lulu has not been the same since. And it's a shame, because when JMB first burst on the scene, she was a real find.

As for KS, she has surprised me on GH. I'm not saying Crystal Chappell need to get scared that Storms is going to overtake her in the dramatic acting stakes, :lol: but KS's forte is in comedy and her chemistry with everybody. She, like Austin Peck on ATWT, has surprised me with the much-needed levity, chemistry and directness they bring to their respective shows. JMB has more technique and acting education in her pocket, perhaps, but there are a number of times when that connection with other actors is lacking.

• Members

I guess that is it. But to be honest that conviction, fire, passion, what have you has never been there for her. It's not just her role as Maxie she like this in all of her roles. Like she is just watching everything happen around her never really fully engaged to anything that is really happening to her. She's always been like a deer in headlights in dramatic scenes. So this is nothing new. But she just isn't all there. She can play bitch-y all she wants she is good at her and her comical delivery is on point however I would never want to see her in a drama heavy storyline. Not ever.

I'll disagree here. Her opposite Genie Francis is JMB at her proverbial best, and all through out the shady brooke storyline I thought she did a great job. That was when she brought it and I would be shocked at this point if she doesn't get an emmy nom for this year because that storyline was the best GH storyline all year. As to the scenery chewing I don't agree, there are some actresses who can sell it and some who simply can't (i.e. Bree Williamson). Berman can.

I completly agree here. It's so bad when she just spits out her lines. It's like she can't wait to get off set and get a pedicure or something.

I agree. It's like this freaky clone thing, especially when she does that smile thing that LW does. It's insufferable.

I agree.

She fits with everyone, but the relationships aren't as strong as they should be and that could be due to lack of chemistry.

• Members

Berman may be the "superior dramatic actress" but Storms is the overall better actor. Laziness or not, when Berman turned that switch off a while ago, Storms surpassed her in every way that matters. Maxie doesn't receive any better writing than Lulu so if Storms can bring inventiveness and her A game to scenes than so should Berman

• Members

To that I could say that Berman couldn't handle Storm's material. The constant balance of comedy and drama that Kirsten does so well. I'm not going to deny that Berman acquits herself more assuredly in her dramatic scenes but Storms was a volcano when she raged against Felicia during Georgie's funeral so Storms is no slouch. Maxie is a force on the canvas and Guza has allowed the character a more adult role than Lulu. She excels at her job, is funny, self-deprecating and all around layered. Lulu is nothing more than a boy obsessed child. A Carly Jr. that people like to say. The funny thing to me is that Maxie is more Carly(if a comparison MUST be made) than Lulu. I credit all that progress to the talent of Storms who has shown that in spite of Guza, Maxie will be worthwhile. Lulu, not so much.

Archived