B&B: Is Kay Alden out?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

She's still listed there when I look at it.

Doesn't seem like she's been around that long. So what's been going on since she got there? The Eric/Donna thing...Ridge/Taylor/Brooke....Rick vs Ridge....anything else? The first of those three is/was awful. I know that she's not the main HW so it's not all her doing, but I wonder how much influence she has.

• Members

They must have updated it again...

Checked the press site and she's listed there in the credits section which got updated yesterday; here there aren't any spelling errors and Jack Smith is properly credited as John F. Smith. Both Alden and Minnis are credited as co-heads as well.

Only changes I now spotted are in the make-up department; two gone, one returnee and some woman from Deal or No Deal. Wonder how it will take before very woman in LA will be sporting brief cases... LOL!

• Members

As much as everyone likes to blame Bradley for the horrible state this show is in right now, Alden deserves her fair share as well. Nothing is clicking very well on B&B right now, and I don't think that's all due to Bradley. Alden's style and B&B's traditional style just don't mesh at all. Alden doesn't know these characters very well and it shows. Brad is known for trusting his team, and sadly, Alden has yet to deliver anything significantly good since her promotion.

Personally, I think she's just coasting at B&B. She just wants to collect a paycheck and she knows she'll retire in a few years.

• Members

I sort of disagree and sort of agree. The WHOLE writing team is at fault, it's not just Brad. Kay's promotion has not been very creatively focused, she's a worker bee, she writes what she's told to write. I also don't think she's coasting, waiting for retirement. Kay and her husband are wealthy, if she wanted to retire, she could, easily.

I don't think Kay's style is a problem, she doesn't usually, if ever, handle Breakdowns, so the pacing of the show is definitely B&B. Nor do I think her darker tone is bad for the show, B&B has darker in the 90s (when it used to be great)...what I think has happened is that Brad has veered away from fashion, BIG MISTAKE, to focus on the Forresters and the Logans as if they were the Newmans and the Abbotts and it just doesn't work. B&B is a campy show that isn't being written like that.

That being said, Brad knows this. He knows the show is not what it could be...Brad, Minnis, Alden, Lee Phillip Bell and Jerry Birn have had a big pow wow and have revamped the storylines for 2009.

• Members

See, I disagree. When Jack Smith left in 2004 the show began to decline, and by the end of 2005 B&B had become a steaming bag of cow manure. The storylines started going round in circles and the characters lacked motivation. It hit rock bottom last year with Rick & Phoebe and the Boldface Challenge. The show began to turn around with Brooke's rape and the "Who Shot Stephanie" storyline. It still isn't perfect, but Kay has at least made it watchable.

• Members

Those storylines happened before Kay's promotion and they were planned before she joined the writing team.

I thought B&B was really good in the spring of 2007 and for most part of summer 2007. I don't think Alden's hiring made any difference. The strike material, which she was very involved in, sucked and the show has been dreadful since late spring of this year - when Alden's promotion occurred.

I don't see anything on this show as being more "watchable" than it was. It's the same old, same old...

Archived