Smallville TV Guide Article: "Big Plans for Smallville"

dragonflies

• Members

Got this from the Kryptonsite board:

Big Plans for Smallville

Is Tom Welling ready to hang up his Superman tights right before he gets fitted for them? Executive producer Darren Swimmer wants to keep going, now that Smallville is enjoying a ratings rebound, but reveals there are some issues with "actor availability." After 8 years playing Superboy. Tom 31, may undestandably be ready to fly off into grown-uproles.Consider Dean Cain was 27 when he began playing Superman on the 90's ABC showLois & Clark:The New Adventures of Superman, and Brandon Routh was just 26 when he took flight in 2006's"Superman Returns". (Repeated calls to Tom's reps seeking comment were not returned) The CW series has another challenge:It's starting to feel more and more like Lois & Clark, with Clark now working outside of Smallville in Metropolis at the Daily Planet alongside Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen. Coming to Smallville in early February is the villianous Toyman, a flamboyantly dressed classic DC villian who played on L&C first by Sherman Hemsley(the Jeffersons)and than Grant Shaud(Murphy Brown). Despite the similarites, Swimmer argues that "there's not much of resemblance" between the two series.

While acknowledging he's prepared for a series finale, Swimmer insists there are still a few speeding bullets left to fire off in the Superman mythology."Clark's now in full control of his powers and basically accepting the fact that he's going to become Superman. The formation of the dual identity is what he's going to be negotiating from here on out," he says . "He'll start to experiment." Hmmm..bifocals?A golden lasso? New hair mousse? We'll find out in a string of three new episodes beginning in February.

Some assemblange of the Justice League will return toward of the season's end .The Legion Of Superheroes-three 31 century visitors named Cosmic Boy, Lighting Lad and Saturn Girl--arrive on January 15 when Clark faces off againest an atomic ax-wielding baddie from the future called the Presuader. But instead of an ax, the CW might consider sending the Presauder in to meet Tom with a fistful of cash. If negotiations fail for a ninth season, Swimmer suggest a Smallville spin-off starring

Phill Morris[John Jones AKA the Martian Manhunter], who next appears January 22. Cracks the producer, " A Martian Manhunter Variety Hour might be fun!"

Right next to the article is a picture of TW in FOS with a little blub that says

Clark might not be able to appear in the Superman outfit in Smallville's final scene since it could conflict with the big-screen franchise, according to Swimmer

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Waner Bros. will throw un-Godly sums of money at him. His contract is up, and he and his agents are playing some tough ball right now.

But, if he does return, that will be it. They'll do S9 and then he'll fly off into the sunset. I guess this ends these rumors I keep hearing about him being the next Big-screen Superman.

• Members

I wonder if he has a lot of other offers? TW is definitely a cutie and he's perfect in the role of Clark, but as an actor, I don't find him to be particularly talented.

I think that they should just spin off The Justice League whenever Smallville ends. Seems like that would capture the same audience Smallville does. I remember they planned to do Aquaman, but that never happened.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived