The Politics Thread

• Members

This editorial is a good reminder that Kim was not only successful at getting the U.S. to stand down on those joint military exercises with South Korea but also got Trump (and the Bolton wing) to back off of their maximum pressure strategy. 

A plodding, incremental strategy was what both North Korea and China favored.  Even South Korea (who I read was absolutely left unaware that Trump was going to offer to stop joint military exercises) believed that the incremental strategy was the most realistic.

Trump truly got nothing that hadn't been done before.  The North Koreans, on the other hand, got the ultimate legitimacy of their sovereignty.

North Korea Is a Nuclear Power. Get Used to It.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

This is monstrous. Our local Action Committee has gotten together to discuss. I live now in a very diverse community - Berwyn - and we have 19 diff immigrant groups in out community people are afraid. So we've got resources lined up if we need them - legal - political along with an a chain of action for people to take if we have an ICE raid or rules for people to follow if ICE comes to their homes. But we really want to do more in the cases of the children here.

We had a rep from Rep Gutierrez's office come and meet with us and we have discussed partnering with Bethany on their Refugee and Immigrant Foster Care program. We don't even know how many of these kids are eligible, but I think we are hoping since Bethany is involved, we would have a way to actually track the name of the parent(s), where they are from

It's feeling so helpless honestly that is the worst. Not being able to do anything to help. This is horrific what is happening to these people. Asylum seekers are not breaking any law and the undocumented folks are committing legally what amounts to a misdemeanor. What happens when there is no more room? Do people mysteriously start disappearing?

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

Is this like John Kelly and his eternal plans to leave, or is she actually going?

I imagine being the face of most of the attacks against Trump would wear anyone down. 

Whoever works for him must be soulless but I do feel a bit for whichever woman takes her place in the lineup as I get the feeling a lot of people on the left get a special thrill out of going after the various women in his administration.

• Members

I agree. I've said before I now understand why decent Germans couldn't stop the Nazis.  We have to band together if we are going to stop history from repeating itself.  Remember that children have already been lost in the system and some even to traffickers. There was some outcry, but not enough. If the administration learned anything I think it was that they could get away with disappearing people. Who will stop them?

One of the most disturbing parts of this thread are the Trump murals in these child prisons. WTF?

• Members

The targeting of women and children is heinous, but also part of a plan to attack any and all immigrants (who aren't rich and white, anyway). As one of the main arguments you often hear about immigrants is that the numbers of women and children are conflated and it's all mostly just men who are coming to kill, rob and rape. By working so hard to bar and discourage women and children from crossing the border, they know even more of those who come will fit their easy stereotype to terrify the public.

• Members

Yes and there are people who are actually trying to justify this by saying that all they have to do is stop coming. I'm not sure that I have ever felt so much hate for anyone as I do the people who will try to justify this administrations atrocities.  Did you see the mural in that child prison camp, Carl?  Crazy!  We are on the edge of genocide, imo.  

• Members

I just looked. Awful. The mural is like something from a dystopian novel.

I saw the comments in the thread trail off into Nazi talk. I wish that people were not so fixated on talking about Nazis and comparing Trump to a Nazi because I think it distracts from the clear and present danger that we are facing.

I noticed that there have been more stories out lately about border patrol finding tons of people being shipped into the country illegally and being packed into crates or houses. I guess this is some kind of attempt at "good" PR to balance the bad.