Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I do think that the protest at BC was more striking, memorable and probably will leave a more lasting impression but in the end DeVos is still helping campus rapists to act with impunity and diminishing the rights of women in college/university life and extending overall inequality in higher education.

No matter how loud they are at Howard, the end result will be similar, it won't stop business as usual.  At least, they did manage to fit in a chorus of "I Shall Not Be Moved". 

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I'm wondering what exactly they were protesting. Is it Comey's interference in the election? Because I find it hard to believe all those kids where Hillary voters (or even voters at all but that's a separate subject). Do they resent him speaking at Howard at all? If so, I'd be interested in hearing why. Comey at least seems to be trying to make amends for helping to bring us here. He donated his whole yearly salary to a scholarship fund for foster kids.

• Members

@marceline I remember watching a documentary when they mentioned the Kennedy assassination (John) and how many Americans, presumably while grief stricken, claimed to have voted for him and supported him all along in surveys, despite voting and exit poll information that showed that it was impossible for all the people that claimed to have voted for Kennedy, to have actually have voted for Kennedy- the numbers didn't bear this claim out.

I'm not sure if most students at Howard realize all those things that Comey has done afterward and I doubt they care (students can be amazingly single-minded that way).  What they seemed to have focused in on is his perceived role in providing an entre to the White House for the likes of Trump.

They don't see that their role in that, in not showing up at the polls in the battleground states that Clinton needed to win having a part in her loss.  

Likely, Comey is a visible target for their frustrations, the way Pelosi became a target when she was recently shouted down by DACA supporters (despite her efforts to preserve DACA).

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

A lot of us have been saying this for some time, while people, media included, obsessed over voters who are likely going to remain hostile to the Democratic party, their "base" is being neglected. Yes, their base.  The language that people use to justify this is very troubling, to say the least.

• Members

This pissing match with North Korea is pretty terrifying.  Meanwhile Trump is more focused on insulting sports figures exercising their right to protest.  I can only imagine how NK is going to react to our military flying near their airspace.  I honestly don't know how we are going to survive three and a half more years of this madman.