Y&R: Week of November 10, 2008

• Members

That's how we need to look at this. At 80 Jeanne Cooper has gotten some of the greatest material of her career. If she was at NBC, she'd be handing out menus at Chez Rouge or making doughnuts and if she was at ABC she'd be fired.

This week of Y&R is what SOAP OPERA is all about. It's amazing.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree, Y&R was never a fanbase show, and I hate that it's gotten to that point over the past 3 years or so. I'm sure some fanbases have always existed, but things have really heated up in recent years with them in regards to Y&R.

It's just annoying when people think the show should revolve around their favourite couple/character and only good things must happen to those couples/characters.

• Members

The Phick/Shick fights and the CK/DS/LF/AL/TS fights are both asinine. I really don't see why certain posters don't accept that others disagree with them and move on. :rolleyes:

Not that there's anything to complain about anyway.

She was also the third Beth Logan on B&B (who, unlike the current Beth, actually looks like she could be Brooke's mother).

• Members

I've been seeing similarities between Hogan's ATWT and Hogan's Y&R.

Karen's hysterectomy = Rosanna's hysterectomy

Teen angst Noah and Eden = Teen angst Aaron and Lucy

Campy funeral of Katherine Chancellor = Campy funerals of David Stenbeck and Rose D'Angelo

Death of Katherine's lookalike Marge = Death of Lily's lookalike Rose

Ghost Marge helping Katherine = Ghost Rose helping Lily

• Members

So, how do you see this working? MAB spins out the overall story direction...the long arcs...and takes all suggestions, etc. She is custodian of the story. But then...in some kind of pre-breakdown stage--Hogan is allowed to add these touches? Is this the kind of thing he'd do in the weekly story conferences?

What on earth does Scott "General Homicide" Hamner do?

Although I was actually not a fan of Larry (I could never get over Wartman's rapist eyeing of Nick's ass in prison...and his later nice-i-fication never rang true to me), I thought this was a very nice touch!

Hey, since we're on history, I have a question. They mentioned Victor's ties to Kay. (1) She sold him her house (the Reynold's Ranch, which became the Newman Ranch). That is true. But they also said (2) Victor came to Genoa City to run Chancellor or work at Chancellor (!?!) That doesn't square with anything I remember. I do remember, somewhere around the time Kay was married to Derek (loved that his duel with Douglas got mentioned the other day!!!), that Victor oversaw Chancellor...I think this started when Kay jumped overboard from that cruise ship. But, is this little tidbit (his first job in GC was for Chancellor) true? Has it ever been mentioned before?

Since Y&R is #1...usually even in the 18-49 demo...why doesn't any other network copy this? But not even the Bells' second show is stylistically or dramatically close to this...

Agreed. I am appalled that other shows/networks don't watch this, and realize THIS is the formula to emulate.

This is a mind-blowing list of similarities. I think it is a good thing, because it means that Hogan is allowed to have some creative influence (as befits his title). I'd love to know how it all works though. How is the collaboration managed? At what stage do various people have their input?

• Members

Actually, I agree with the Hogan list, except for the Aaron/Lucy comparison. Hogan loves his "geek-love" stories, so I'd say Adam and Abigail on ATWT, Nick and Chelsea on DOOL, and now Noah/Eden. They're kind of a quirkier, gawkier teen love story, as opposed to young, hot and shirtless.

• Members

Yes, it's true. The cruise was well after Victor first came to town and after the duel as well. Before Victor came on, there were numerous power plays going on to get control of Katherine's fortune, with Derek, his ex-wife Suzanne and roguish Douglas Austin (who was more of a con artist in those early days, as opposed to how he was portrayed in later years). After various cons and schemes, Derek was poised to be named as the head of Chancellor Industries. Those around Kay warned her about Derek, but the former hairdresser managed to snow his wife with his charms. Around the same time, Katherine brought up-and-coming tycoon Victor Newman to town to work for her. Meanwhile, Douglas found himself falling for his mark, Katherine, especially when he became appalled at how Derek was using Katherine. It turned out Victor and Douglas were friends, so Douglas selected Victor to be his second when he challenged Derek to the duel. Victor and Douglas both agreed that Derek was no good for Katherine, but Kay remained entranced by her husband. When Derek planned a cruise so he and Katherine could go on a second honeymoon, Katherine selected Victor to watch over the company in their absence. Douglas followed Katherine and Derek on the cruise. Kay jumped overboard because of confusion over her feelings and was presumed dead. When Derek returned to Genoa City, he learned for Mitchell Sherman that Katherine's wishes left Victor in charge of Chancellor. Vic remained in charge for a while, even after Katherine returned.

It wasn't until after Victor's marriage to Julia ended that he started to build his current empire, including his acquisition of Prentiss Industries by getting control of stock owned by the Brooks sisters. Victor eventually started to build Newman Towers as his base of operations in Genoa City and hired architect Kevin Bancroft to design the building. Kevin of course played heavily in the early days of the Victor/Nikki romance, including the "who's your daddy" story around Victoria's paternity.

• Members

I don't know about CBS. I think it's just the Bell soaps that have a greater appreciation for there actors, especially the veterans (LML notwithstanding).

Still haven't seen the episode yet lol. IA that when GOD FORBID (KNOCK ON WOOD) Jeanne Cooper passes away, that it's going to be hard to top this. But then again Victor has been presumed dead so many times and the cast usually seems to top that. When Jeanne passes away, I think the emotions will feel more genuine and subtle, and they'll say that Katherine passed away in her sleep.

ETA: Michelle Stafford was ROCKING this week. Her breakdown on Nov. 12 show was superb. Her scene opposite Peter Bergman was EXCELLENT, and that gave me hope for more good things to come. I wouldn't be surprised if Phyllis died her hair blonde to rival Sharon.

• Members

I loved seeing all the old faces again, it was like looking in the past and welcoming old friends

Loved Dina-Nothing has changed always the same her line to Sharon was priceless bitch Dina

Loved seeing Nina again was so strange to hear her say Cricket, whenever one now says Christine (hommage to the past)

Loved Loved seeing Liz Foster, Jill needs her, she is always Jill's bigget champion, used to love when she would start talking to Jill "Now Daughter"

Brock handsome as ever

I would like them all back, I would love to see Dina and Gloria collide, I would take dibs that Dina would anilihate her

Nina and Phyllis, hate they would be awesome going head to head, she could become a staff writer for RS and they would clash, two powerhouse actresses going head to head, it would give MS a worthy opponent to go head to head

And most of all I loved Nikki getting it from both sides, from Ashley and Jill. Both Ladies in no terms told Nikki to suck it up and that is good drama.

Now if only Jack would stop playing the romantic swain and just say to hell with Sharon then I would be clapping , all in all great job, felt like old times

Archived