Who's going to broadcast the Daytime Emmy's next year?

• Members

Don't fool yourself. The primetime Emmys don't want any part of them. Show me another entertainment where the field of competitors is getting SMALLER. At this point the networks would be better off broadcasting the Webbies. I'm willing to bet more people saw "Chocolate Rain," the Born Free Lion or Obama Girl than any of the soaps.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

All awards shows have been plummeting in the ratings. I think people are getting very sick and tired of seeing this group of overpaid people constantly congratulating themselves for learning some lines and regurgitating them in front of a camera. They were enjoyable at first when there was only really the Oscars and the Emmy's but now it is pretty much every other week.

• Members

Not even SoapNet? For shame. ABC should take up the gauntlet here.

If they wanted to cut down the costs of the Emmys, they might want to stop inviting acts like Il Divo taking too much time away from the awards themselves.

The Emmys shot themselves in the foot last year by having Y&R's bimbo brigade nominated in the Younger Actress category. Of all the great actors on the show... Sursoks and Bloom get nods?

Bring back the Soap Opera Awards, I say. On top of Best Lead Actor/Actress and Best Show/Writing, awards like Best Villain and Best Storyline are where it's at. Oh, and screen it on a Wednesday night or something.

• Members

I still stand by adding more technical categories to the main broadcast, like more children's programming categories, and handing the ceremony over to PBS. Yes, the soap categories might be done in the first hour, and PBS daytime programming might be overly pimped, but I am sure PBS would offer us a better show and actually treat the daytime industry with some semblance of respect.

I know PBS reads and responds to their e-mails, I've done it before. Anyway, you can e-mail PBS at this link regarding broadcasting the Daytime Emmy's. Tell them about what a good vehicle it would be for PBS daytime programming and all of that, make it sound beneficial for them as best, if anyone cares. LOL!

Here's the link: http://www.pbs.org/aboutsite/aboutsite_emailform.html

Also, e-mail the National Academy of Arts & Sciences about hosting the Daytime Emmy's on PBS here: [email protected]

• Members

From the new TV Guide:

Doesn't anyone want the Daytime Emmys? CBS was scheduled to air next year's telecast, but the network has quietly taken a pass, presumably because the ratings for this year's awards on ABC pretty much sucked. NBC pulled out of the Emmy rotation a few years back, after repeatedly being snubbed in the nominations. So now the ball is in ABC's court, and they're not jumping on it. "As 2009 was scheduled to be CBS' year to host the Daytime Emmys, ABC had not anticipated or planned on doing the awards show," says ABC Daytime publicist Jori Petersen. "At this time, neither ABC nor Soapnet has plans to broadcast the event," The National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences is now offering the show to other network and cable channels, and is proceeding as if all will be well. "We hope to know what's happening by December," says NATAS executive director Brent Stanton. "I'm just keeping my fingers crossed. I've got lotss of people who want an answer."

• Members

When I was a kid, the Emmys ran during the daytime. They were a luncheon, which did get televised. It was a TOTALLY low cost, low key affair. That's what I'd do. I'd return to running it when the soaps are actually on. I'm make it a three-network rotation, with no real option to opt out.

The early years of the Soapy awards (later, Soap Opera Digest awards) ran on Merv Griffin (right?). Today, that would be Ellen Degeneres.

So, she she should just devote an hour to the topic, pre-inform the winners, and have them featured on her show for the hour. It would require a tight selection of categories to fit into the hour.

I think we should return to this low key approach, for the few last years before the whole thing disappears.

Archived