Best Costumes / Best Sets

• Members

My only problem with some of YR's residential sets is that the furniture looks too corporate. Like sofas you'd find in your dentist's waiting room.

However, I love the Abbott set... the horse piece hung by the staircase, the sofas (I especially liked the scarlet one they had a few years back), the fact that the home looks elegant, warm, and lived in. It's also fully decorated without looking crowded, it looks cozy to me.

One of my gripes about some of the OLTL sets is that perhaps in an attempt to look spacious, the sets look under-decorated, empty. I loved Asa's green sectional with leopard pillows, but to me, that was just a start. They could have gone much further with that concept. And I never really got the cinder block walls. I guess they fit Asa's personality, but it looks flat and cheap to me. And that flaccid staircase.

Dorian has had a series of fabulous penthouses over the years. Though the least ostentatious, I loved the dim, moody one she lived in pre-La Boulaie. It was very Gottlieb. When I think Gottlieb, I think of that early '90s Dorian Lord. Her clothes, her furs, her furnishings, THAT was Miss Linda Gottlieb all the way.

I guess it's sort of an abandoned work in process, but I think the house Jack and Erica shared had the potential to be a very pretty set.

In any discussion of soap sets, I must always mention the Clegg mansion on Capitol. WOW.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Dorian has had a series of fabulous penthouses over the years. Though the least ostentatious, I loved the dim, moody one she lived in pre-La Boulaie. It was very Gottlieb. When I think Gottlieb, I think of that early '90s Dorian Lord. Her clothes, her furs, her furnishings, THAT was Miss Linda Gottlieb all the way.

LOVED that set. It had squareish pillars that lined the rear windows- and it had that great backdrop of the city.

Great set.

• Members

Yes, and those creamy burnt orange suede sofas. It was a very dark, sexy Llanview back then.

Now, I also loved her curved staircase penthouse that looked an awful lot like Erica's mauve/pink Linden House. I'm a sucker for that '80s postmodern style. Of course Alexis' penthouse on Dynasty was probably the finest example.

Someone mentioned Adam's mansion earlier. I like the update to a degree, it's a little too Spaulding mansion/the new Guiding Lite. The last incarnation was rather iconic AMC, for years we've been looking at that split staircase. But I always thought the space was too feminine for Adam, and we have Erica to thank for that because she's the one who redecorated it.

• Members

I think B&B is pretty much stuck with SF's suits. Do you think Brad is really going to tell her to wear something else when she's on the brink of retirement? I think B&B's wardrobe is hit and miss. It just depends on the individual people. I think Lesli Kay can pull off about anything because she exudes (sp?) such confidence. I really like what they wear in the photo shoots (like the one at the Bell mansion a few months ago).

The sets....eh. We pretty much see the same ones all the time. Forrester, Taylors, Brookes, and Marone mansions, Forrester Creations, and then the Shady Marlin thrown in a few times. FC gets me everytime because the outside shot looks like a two-story house, yet there's an elevator in there, and they always talk about the basement. I don't know, I guess it could fit, but they always make it seem bigger than it looks. I like how the offices feel, with the dark walls.

Taylor's mansion doesn't really bother me because IMO, she wouldn't have the money that the Forresters do. Stephanie and Eric's should be the one that is lavishly furnished.

• Members

Yeah, I mean it looked like a backdrop, but there was a glimpse of what looked like a dining room (it happened so quickly I couldn't really make out details) as Kay was heading out the door. It did make the home look larger. Seeing Katherine on that set always tickles me, because like Iris in her homes on AW, there's something so entertaining (imho) about these society dames lounging around in their glamorous digs all day long, wearing billowy frocks, making phone calls, sipping booze and noshing on snacks, and if they MUST, tossing on a mink to go pay visits that are almost always self-serving.

• Members

Well The City's cameras/taping techniques are one thing, but actually I was referring to the way the show got six+ fabulous sets out of one generic loft space. There was Sydney's penthouse, the girls' loft, Jacob and Angie's loft, the bar, Tess' modeling agency, Angie's clinic... They all utilized the same space, and yes furtniture had to be moved in and out to change sets, but that one skeleton of a loft set looked impressively unique in its many incarnations. GL looks like a broke ass cable access EastEnders.

Archived