Marlena talks about Carolyn Hinsey. This is a MUST READ.

• Members

You guys need to go to Marlenadelacroix.com and Marlena gives a very insightful article about Hinsey and the SOD dimwits who took over SOW. I will comment and say SOW has taken such a downturn. I remember the days when Mimi Torchin was the editor, what a wonderful wonderful magazine. SOW was the best magazine out there. First of all Digest was always a fan magazine and SOW was the first of it's kind to do true criticism but in a constructive way. SOW was a real class act with real stories, real news, great articles, and the wonderful wonderful column written by Marlena/Connie Hayman. Marlena's column was journalism at it's best. SOW used to be a joy to read and it was Mimi Torchin's baby. It was a class act that was adored by the industry. Then all the sudden in 2000 Mimi Torchin got fired and then the SOD people took over and ruined the magazine. All the old SOW staff was either fired or quit. Marlena explains that she quit in 2001 because her voice was no longer protected. Hinsey is known as the biggest tyrant to work for and so is Stephanie Sloane. Hinsey ruined the magazine with the layout, the stories, it became all about Carolyn, it was trashy, and very tabliody. IMO the magazine is a joke now and it was such an ugly time when that SOW takeover took place. The old SOW staff put there heart and souls into that magazine. It was such a wonderful magazine that was destroyed by politics and micromanagement. Torchin did return a few years later just to write a column but it was taken out for budgetary reasons. Mimi has since retired from soaps and is working on a career in photography. How I would give to have her back as editor of what used to be the classiest magazine? Isn't it sad what happened to SOW? Could anyone tell the decline from when Torchin was fired and Hinsey and the SOD people took it over?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree Marlena's entry is very insightful. It is a funny thing about this Hinsey firing. It has inspired REAL insight and analysis...some of the best reads for me in years on this topic...by Bibel, Casiello, Snark, Delacroix...

I think it takes a major event like this to really shake loose our less superficial thoughts. To that end, the recent bang-bang-bang of Higleygate, then Hinseygate, now Scott/Tomlingate...these all feel like pretty significant events in the genre...we're unified by discussing them together.

• Members

Wow, what a venal, little group of backstabbers the soap press is. You'd think one amongst them might summon up a shred of dignity and issue a "No Comment' instead of gleefully joining in the melodrama. Small wonder journalists rank right down at the bottom of the list of repected professions alongside used car salesmen and lawyers. Hope Connie isn't offering any journalistic ethics courses.

• Members

"Jinx"--how dare you? The basic ethic of journalism is truth and that is exactly what I have told here. I lived this experience. First hand! My column "The Killing Fields of Soap Journalism" is not a GOSSIP entry in 'Jossip!. It is the truth! Everyone in this industry knows exactly who I am and I take full responsibility for it. Have Carolyn, and the Digest editors, honestly and seriously documented their experience and put it on line for the public to see?

Journalism is a very noble profession and I am proud to be a journalism professor. AND a soap opera journalist since 1981!

And Jinx, in case you really want to learn ethics, I teach college journalism, but we do not enroll old Edge of Night characters at my college.

Connie Passalacqua Hayman a.k.a. Marlena De Lacroix

http://www.marlenadelacroix.com

• Members

wow - i've never seen a journalist or any professional for that matter, actually respond to a fan on a message board. usually, they ignore it, because if you took the time to respond to everyone who didn't know the shole story, didn't like you, etc, you'd just fall right into their trap.

imagine what would happen in EPs or HW or actors came on and responded to every little barb? they don't because it's not professional. porfessionals stand above the fray, not dive right into it.

• Members

As someone who has admired Marlena/Connie since I was a kid, I take offense at the above. She is not simply a journalist...she is first and foremost a FAN and one of the greatest and most intelligent supporters if the genre that so many millions love and cherish.

There comes a time when, if you truly believe and love something, you simply cannot stand on the sidelines and let people say any and everything without setting the record straight, and bravo to Connie for doing that. Not only is she a true professional...she's a great leader and human being!

Archived