Y&R: Could a Traci Abbott recast be done?

• Members

Her daughter is currently on the show, sitting on the backburner doing nothing, so couldn't that open the door for a story? They could use the goings on at Jabot - she is still a stockholder, even if she was never involved in the business - to bring her back to G.C. and then have her reconnect with Colleen,

As someone said above, they need to reestablish the Abbotts as a core family again. It's been too long with just Jack and Colleen, especially since Colleen's Abbott ties aren't played up often. So having Traci there helps accomplish that. They just recast Billy, and maybe there's an opportunity for Ashley as well now that Eileen Davidson is on recurring status at B&B. So bringing back Traci would make it complete except for Mamie. Whether it's full time or just recurring would depend on what MAB and Hogan have in mind storyline and/or Beth Maitland's availability, I would imagine.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Last time they re-established the Abbotts, John ended up dead, Ashley left town, and the Bardwells took over. I sure hope we're not in for part TWO. They should bring back Dina and Mamie from there never ending cruises. These characters have been off the show for years, and after everything that has went down, I would love to see there views on GC.

• Members

While Beth Maitland, yes, originated Traci and played the character, on and off, for years, I don't see why she couldn't be recasted. Heck, Eileen Davidson's Ashley was recasted, Terry Lester's Jack was recasted!

The only fear about recasting Traci is that they get some botoxed California gym rat to "fit in" with the new, sexy Y&R and "look more like Tammin Sursoks" (sorry. y&r_fan, that idea fills me with dread). Traci had problems from day one with her looks, self esteem and weight. She was consistently bullied by Lauren, and Brad humiliated her with his infidelities. She did go away and become an author and take control of her life, but when we last saw her, she was still a curvaceous lady, middle-aged and a mom. She should remain that way, not least because a portion of the audience grew up and related to Traci's problems with body image and esteem.

• Members

^^^I don't want her re-casted because I've appreciated how Y&R has at least tried to maintain its core faces throughout the years. Melody, Eric, Jeanne, Doug, Don, Tracey, Beth, Kristoff,... It brings a sense of familiarity and closeness when you return to the show, and see the same faces from years ago. It's like family, you grow up with them (CHEESY I know). To a lesser degree, Peter Bergman and Jess Walton have been in their respective roles for a long time now, and IMO have solidified them.

• Members

Both of those recasts were because of the actors, at times when not recasting would have left a void in the story. Eileen Davidson left Y&R for greener pastures, trying her hand in prime-time. Terry Lester was openly vocal about not wanting to be backburnered as a supporting player on "The Cricket Show" any longer. So other than drop the characters and the stories they were in completely, what choice was there but to recast? And in the case of Lester, they knew it would be a hard recast, so TPTB temporarily had Jack leave GC after Victor took over Jabot so that they could search for several months for the new Jack.

Right now, Traci's been on the backburner for a while, so there's no critical need to recast unless a new story is introduced that needs her and Beth Maitland doesn't want to do it. But if she's available and willing, why recast when they can have the original? If she's not willing or available, it's up to TPTB to decide whether they should shelve the story or recast, and if they go with the latter, they have to make sure it's the right recast.

I agree. Traci's weight and self-esteem problems were always part of her story, and they should remain so with whoever plays the part. If Beth M is available when needed, that's not a problem. But if they ever have a time when they need Traci but can't have Beth, then the recast should be someone who is consistent with the character, and not just someone chosen to fit well with a recast of her daughter that's controversial at best.

• Members

That wasn't reestablshing them, that was decimating them. That's why they need to be re-established. One of the comments from the new Billy in the soap mags this week had him saying that they're "rebuilding the Abbotts", so hopefully things like Traci's brief visit this week and Billy's return to GC in the near future are starting them down that road, and Eileen Davidson's now recurring on B&B if TPTB at Y&R are willing to approach her.

• Members

I understand your point, but there's a major difference. Eileen Davidson had only been playing Ashley for seven years when she was recast and Terry Lester had been Jack for nine years. Fourteen years on contract, not to mention twelve years of off-and-on appearances is a completely different thing, not to mention Maitland is an Emmy winner.

• Members

I agree - AL did look a lot like BM. (But I still like TS better.)

THANKYOU.

I didn't mean they should cast someone as thin as TS.

Melody is a recast. I'm still pissed that they fired Erica Hope. <_<:lol:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaanywho, I still don't see why a Traci recast couldn't be done. B&B has recast most of the Forresters and Logans over the years, often with actors much younger than their predecessors. I don't see why Y&R couldn't recast one Abbott. The reason I'm even suggesting a recast is because I think I read somewhere that BM doesn't live in LA anymore and would have to commute.

• Members

No. Beth Maitland is fine as Traci. Who knows if Maitland would be willing to come back full-time? I can't see the writers wanting to write for the character for more than anything but a few guest apparances. It's been that way for years. If they did bring her back, what would they do? Reunite her with Brad? Re-ignite her feud with Lauren? Hmm.. Now that I think about it, there are a few storyline possibilities for Traci to come back to. I say go for it.

But I say no to recasting. If Maitland isn't up for coming back for what the writers want her back for then just don't bother writing for the character. While it would be great to have another Abbott back, she's not needed now.

• Members

I don't think Traci is needed on the show full time.

As long as Beth shows up at times it would be appropriate and necessary for Traci to be there.

All shows should do this,rather than have sharacters vanish into thin air.

I'd like to see Casey Reed support Nikki from time to time,Marie Horton to come back to Salem to care for Alice etc

Of course this depends on actor availability.

These characters could even have a story happening outside the show eg Casey could be married and had a child who could come to GC to stay with Nikki,thus keeping the family ties alive.

Doug Marland did this on ATWT when he had Don Hughes have a child away from Oakdale in 86-Kristina.He was obviously planning for the future when she could show up in town,but succeeding writers never made use of her.

• Members

True, but that's one of the things I can't stand about B&B. None of the Forrester kids are the same besides Ridge. None of the Logans are the same besides Brooke. They might as well be brand new characters.

I've always always always always wanted them to bring back Christina. I thought the perfect time would have been during 2006 when the teen scene was still quite strong. I always imagined her being sort of a wild child, one who went against everything the Hugheses were known for.

• Members

I realize your comment is meant as tongue in cheek from the LOL at the end, but even though Melody's a recast, she's still the one who made the definitive mark on the character. It's just like Jerry Douglas and Sharon Case were also recasts, but how many people think about Brett Halsey as John Abbott or Monica Potter and Heidi Mark as Sharon? So it's not the same as someone like Beth Maitland, who first appeared 26 years ago in her role and made that mark on the character for years on screen.

And it's arguable as to how successful those recasts are given that the use of younger replacements has often caused glaring situations that require the audience to suspend their disbelief. At first, they danced around that with the notion that the characters had not changed ages, even if played by a younger actor. Even when Tracey Melchior played Kristen opposite Felicia (as played by either Coleen Dion or Lesli Kay), Kristen was still the older sister, even though Melchior was obviously younger (and looked it) than either actress playing Felicia. But now with the Logans, it's like the characters have de-aged along with the actors who played them. This especially is true of Storm, who was said to have graduated high school in 1982, placing him somewhere in his early forties when he died. But if he's the oldest sibling, how can Brooke have given birth in her twenties to a son who is almost 30? And how can he have been a high school classmate of Taylor's and a contemporary of Ridge's when Taylor and Ridge have children in their twenties? So following B&B's example might not be the best thing if Y&R ever decides to recast Traci.

It might depend on where she lives. Kimberlin Brown and Hunter Tylo both commuted to L.A. from Nevada to be on B&B, so Beth might be able to do it for Y&R if she's close enough. If she's living on the East Coast, it might be tough (like it was for Colleen Dion to reprise Felicia in 2004 on B&B, or like it was in reverse for L.A. based Tracey Melchior to commute to NY to play Kelly on OLTL). But if she's still someplace West Coast based, it might be doable for Beth to play Traci depending on her schedule.

• Members

LOL. Each soap has created its own ridiculous mess because of their insistence to continue SORASing and de-SORASing. Whoever came up with the idea 50 or 60 years ago, I hope they're happy, wherever they're at. They're responsible for one of the most unrealistic soap opera conventions ever, if not the most unrealistic.

Archived