Carolyn Hinsey Fired!

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wonder whats gonna happen to some of these people who still work at SOD/SOW and are spilling this stuff. One of them already said Lynn Leheay was trying to figure out who they were. And who's gonna replace Carolyn? Or a better question, who do you want to replace Carolyn?

• Members

Even though that thread has turned predictably ugly. (What started out as a good deal of justifiable vindication for years of oppression has turned into an online version of Jerry Springer) I can't help but be grateful for the light it has shed on some of the factors that over the recent years, clearly accelerated the death of daytime. Assuming 50% of everything being said is a lie, the other half - say for instance Hinsey's Blondie's scam - is a dirty, rotten shame.

• Members

Well, I think that the decline of daytime began before there were just 3 soap mags, and while a larger number of soap mags were still thriving. Once you get into the shrinking world of daytime, then problems become manifest & feed into each other.

I hate the mixture of truth & falsehood in something that will undoubtedly have a certain amount of 'street cred'. In June 1999 we used Blondie's for an AW Fan Reunion & it was chosen for location & price & space - although in the final analysis it's not really a good space. But, NYC venues are expensive, so less expensive still makes it somewhat appealing. Anyway at that time I don't believe that Hinsey had bought into a part of it. We had that Fan Reunion the next June, too, in 2000. I don't know when it was that she bought into Blondie's. I thought it was potentially a huge conflict of interest. I thought the same about her column in the NY Daily News.

• Members

QUOTE (Donna B @ Aug 10 2008, 02:35 PM)
<snip>

I don't know when it was that she bought into Blondie's. I thought it was potentially a huge conflict of interest. I thought the same about her column in the NY Daily News.

Why was NYDN a conflict of interest? Lots of reporters/columnists have multiple columns. I never saw her promote SOD/SOW in NYDN, or vice versa.

That said, I am wondering if the rumors that she ALSO lost NYDN are true? If that is the case, what COULD she have done?

• Members

Oh, I have read it twice :-). What I'm trying to figure out is why the NYDN column was a conflict of interest because she was at SOD/SOW. Sorry if this is obvious, but I don't see the inherent conflict. On the other hand, with all the column mentions Blondie's got...THERE I see the conflict loud and clear!

• Members

Well, as I said, it could potentially be a conflict of interest, when your primary employment is as the Editor of a soap mag & you cover events & shows & do interviews for that entity & then if you scoop your own mag with info that will go to print in the weekly newspaper column first. If you see what I mean, ... potentially ... So, the fact that many reporters/columnists do so, is not really the same thing as full-time job & job on the side, in addition, nor is it the same thing with an Editor position.

I have no idea her status at the NY Daily News, but one thing that sometimes happens is that people have burned too many bridges.

Archived