Unpopular Opinions

• Members

I don't think anyone has proclaimed Tom's views to be necessarily groundbreaking, and I find him to be very modest about how he expresses his opinions. He doesn't come across to me as stating his views as fact. I for one find his frank discussion of his own experiences to be refreshing and entertaining. His specific opinions about this or that story, character, couple? They're just that. His opinions, and I agree sometimes and disagree others.

You bring up an interesting point however. I find many of the columnists and writers and other people involved behind the scenes to be very insulting to the viewers. I've read/heard interviews where I find the subject to be very condescending about the viewers' likes and dislikes and it seems as if they were saying "The viewers just don't get it. If they were smart enough to understand what the writers', directors', performers' intentions were, they would agree that it was a great story." I find that absurd and offensive. As if I don't have the intelligence to know what entertains me? It's tantamount to telling me it's cold outside and need to put on a coat (I don't know if I am cold?), or that I really need to have my steak's medium instead of medium rare. I am perfectly capable of establishing what I like and what I enjoy. I should be entertained by what I see on my screen, and if I am not, that doesn't make me stupid, it makes me not entertained.

So I guess my UO is that the general viewing audience is smart enough to know what they like, and just because a very small microcosm behind the scenes or on the internet analyzes things in great detail and from a broader perspective, doesn't make them any better equipped to define what is good (entertaining) and what is bad soap.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The worst part, rhinohide, is that NOTHING about their stories are intelligent. In fact, many times, we have to dumb OURSELVES down to accept the stuff thrown at us. But when they talk about it, they make it seem so intricate and well thought out. THAT drives me nuts. I hate to throw the Kool-Aid analogy out there again, but if it smells like Kool-Aid, and tastes like Kool-Aid...

• Members

LOL! In all honesty, I think one of the reasons we're here discussing all the behind the scenes stuff and the how and why all the time, is because they're not producing entertaining soaps. There was a time I loved GL and I had no idea who the producer was, or the writer, or even the names of the performers who portrayed my favorite characters. I never even thought about spoilers, or looked at the mags, because the show entertained me every day. I wouldn't think of missing it.

• Members

Lol, true. I was so happy we talked GL and ATWT last Friday, it was a welcome change. People have been e-mailing me suggestions all week (that and weird stuff with people protesting Charles Pratt possibly bringing on gay characters to AMC....).

We just got a producer for our show (who's part time) so she'll be helping us with varying topics and making sure we keep discussion balanced. ;)

• Members

The people behind the scenes are EXACTLY like the fans.

Some of them love what they do, but have a very clear perspective as to REALITY, and have no misconceptions.

Others spend WAY too much time with their show, and start to lose their grasp until they can't see the forest through the trees.

I think the scales are slightly unbalanced over at GH. (Y&R too)

• Members

I agree. The average soap viewer, whether it be a housewife in middle America, a college student in between classes, an old man on disability, a little kid, or dear old grandma...none of them watch with a magnifying glass. They don't see a script writer's name pass by and think "...well, today's episode won't be good." I miss being that person!

• Members

I know I'm the only one of my everyday, soap-viewing, non-virtual friends that follows this stuff.

And nine out of ten times, we end up arriving at the same opinioon after the finished product airs. The only difference is they have no pre-conceived notions before it airs.

Yeah. I miss being that person too.

Archived