OLTL:All of this EP talk

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As far as EP's go, I'd place FV in the same category as Susan Bedsow Horgan or Maxine Levinson. FV isn't the worst EP ever to run that show, but he isn't a "visionary" like Paul Rauch or Joseph Stuart. Time and time again, I feel, FV lets RC down. (A recent example: the BE takeover. That was supposed to be a pivotal moment in the history of OLTL; yet, the overall production felt...flat to me.)

• Members

I don't like him. I remember one of the times Tom Casiello was on ITZ, he said that Frank was a very political guy who loved Dena and her work when the ratings were high or stable, and hated Dena when the ratings were going down. Any sane EP should know that ratings don't always reflect true quality.

Added to that, I think he lacks vision and is probably riding the coattails of Ron's success as HW at the moment.

And while OLTL's production values are better than AMC's, they still suck ass. Some of the sets and their decorations are beyond laughable. MTS brought up good points in a few of his posts regarding the production problems on OLTL, I hope he adds more to this thread.

I think if OLTL had a stronger EP, the show would be even better. Even though Frank's worked his way up at OLTL, and with Frons micro-managing everything, I still don't think Frank is very good at his job.

• Members

I'm torn over FV. Sometimes I see him or hear him interviewed or see the stuff on screen, and I think "this guy is really talented"

But then he does something INCREDIBLY stupid (He has Frons-itosis), like when SOD did the article where they asked all the EP's and HW's what they liked about the previous year, and what they wish they could have done differently (I believe this was the Margaret/prison break year), and Frank said "Nothing. The whole year was perfect." He was the ONLY PTB to say this - even Goutman and Passanante admitted they made a few mistakes)

Really, Frank?! Perfect? Dorian paying off someone to stalk Adriana, putting Nora AND Evangliene in comas because you wanted to play hardball? That's perfect?

I don't know. I think he comes across VERY high on himself, and extremely political, but then again... I do think the show looks great, and clearly it's running under its budget (unlike other soaps).

Is he a good EP? Probably. Is he a bit of a slimeball? Probably.

• Members

I co-sign with Y&RWorldTurner, I don't like him. He deosn't seem to have a vision for the show, and has made some rather dumb decisions(letting Renee Elise Goldserry leave, hiring terrible directors, and not getting rid of untalented people fast enough, to name a few).But for now he can stay.

• Members

See, I love that Frank worked his way up, but I think he took his cues FROM Frons. He seems just as corporate as the rest of ABCD. I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing - the vibe I get from all three ABC soaps is that they're ALL forced to play games to get anywhere. So FV probably feels he's gotta play politics to stay alive over there. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. But then again, so does a lot, and as I'm always corrected about this, I know it can't always be "Hey everybody! Let's work together and put on a show!" But it still rubs me the wrong way. What can I say - I'm idealistic like that.

I think you can lead a good team, and still not be a douchebag.

Absolutely, and I really wish somebody had the article, because I remember it distinctly. I couldn't believe out of ALL the egos in daytime, FV was the only one arrogant enough to give THAT response.

JFP admitted mistakes, Guza admitted mistakes, Passanante admitted mistakes... but Frank, in Dena's last full year, thought everything they did was flawless.

Kool-Aid, anyone?

• Members

I'll never forgive Valentini for Mikey Jerome....seriously....that was THE.WORST.MOVE.EVER!!

I'd love to know the rationale for that....I wonder who did what in order for that to happen. Can you imagine the writers finding out Jerome was the winner of SoapStar?

Valentini: So...we need to create a role for our new Soap Star Winner, Mikey Jerome.

Writer 1: Are you fecking kidding me?

Valentini: I don't kid. Mikey is a great talent and would be a great asset to our show.

Writer 2: Yeah...I bet. ::mutters under breath:: I wonder how long he had to spend on the casting couch to get this role::

Valentini: Excuse me?

Writer 2: Uh, nothing.

Writer 1: This is going to suck....

Valentini: Trust me, we can't go wrong. He's so attractive and talented. Imagine all the scenes we can have between him and John-Paul. I'm thinking beach scenes, speedos and wrasslin.

:rolleyes:

• Members

I SAID THIS IN LAST WEEK'S OLTL THREAD!

So Frank picks Mikey... then hires Beth Ann... then fires Mikey the second his 13th week is over and gives Beth Ann a contract.

Ummm... wouldn't it be MUCH smarter for both OLTL and IWBASS if they had a winner that was a resounding success like BethAnn/Talia?!

WHY IN THE WORLD would he pick Mikey over Beth Ann, THEN give her a contract role?!

I have tried to think of every reasonable explanation, and nothing makes sense, even politically.

• Members

Unfortunately, by most accounts, OLTL has never enjoyed that luxury. The only EP I know of whom most of the cast and crew got along with was Jean Arley, but because the ratings fell during her tenure, she was pushed out.

Archived