EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I only just heard about this. My PBS affiliate here in NYC almost yanked the 2003 repeats off the air because they didn't have enough money to continue airing it. However, the head of the station contacted the EastEnders fanclub and they were eventually able to raise enough funds to continue airing the show for another year. No word yet when the show will return to the schedule though.

<object width = "512" height = "328" > <param name = "movie" value = "http://www-tc.pbs.org/video/media/swf/PBSPlayer.swf" > </param><param name="flashvars" value="video=1787152160&player=viral&end=0" /> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param > <param name = "allowscriptaccess" value = "always" > </param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param ><embed src="http://www-tc.pbs.org/video/media/swf/PBSPlayer.swf" flashvars="video=1787152160&player=viral&end=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" width="512" height="328" bgcolor="#000000"></embed></object><p style="font-size:11px; font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: #808080; margin-top: 5px; background: transparent; text-align: center; width: 512px;">Watch the <a style="text-decoration:none !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#4eb2fe !important;" href="http://watch.wliw.org/video/1787152160" target="_blank">full episode</a>. See more <a style="text-decoration:none !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#4eb2fe !important;" href="http://www.wliw.org" target="_blank">WLIW21 Previews.</a></p>

I also didn't know my PBS affiliate aired Dot's Story as a stand-alone piece in 2009:

http://www.wliw.org/blog/uncategorized/eastenders-dots-story/333/

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

I will never like Shirley and Phil's relationship, but tonight's episode was very well-written, in regards to both Phil and Shirley and Ian and Jane. In fact, they should have probably considered doing a four-hander, if not for Phil and Shirley's non-wedding.

I love how Phil wouldn't deny that if Sharon walked back in and said she wanted him that he wouldn't go back to her, becuase he so would go back to her. He just basically said Shirley was the one he wanted right now. I'm glad that both Sharon and Kathy got mentioned today, it shows the show still cares and still recognizes that those two (original) characters had an impact on the show, even if it's just through Phil right now. And we already know both Phil and Grant will never get over Sharon's milkshake. :) It was important they got brought up too, becuase Phil will never love Shirley in that way, and part of her realizes this, that's why she wouldn't marry him, but still degrades herself to be in a relationship with him.

Why are Ben and Jay now some kind of low-rent Grant and Phil knock-off? Will Abi be their Sharon? :unsure:

I have a feeling Shenice is going to come back and Kat and Alfie are going to adopt her, given that they've established that her mother doesn't even like her.

Ian and Jane's breakup was really unexpected to me, but I thought it was acted very realistically by Laurie and Adam. I don't know where Ian and Jane can go from here though. I'm surprised the Beale twins have not been recast yet, so I wonder what's up with that family.

I don't know if I would have given Phil and Shirley a Julia's Theme ending, but it was still nice to hear...

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

Not taking account of my firecrotch breeding hate, Jay and Abi are so cute. And Jay looked good all done up. As for Ben, why does Kathy give birth to such weepy, annoying children? That's one good reason she's dead, she won't be able to give out any more terrible spawn.

Edited by Amello

• Members

Lauren Klee.

Really? Do you mean in recent years?

I think both Phil and Grant will always carry a torch for Sharon, and in many ways, she was probably both their soulmates, but Phil wasn't her soulmate (Grant probably is though, but we'll never know), though she did love him and he'll always be a big part of her life.

The scene with Shirley about Sharon mirrored a similar one Grant had with Tiffany, where Tiffany basically told Grant that if Sharon walked in wanting him back, he'd leave her and never look back, and like Phil, Grant didn't deny it either.

Even though he treated them both like crap after a while, I do think out of all his love interests, Phil really did love both Sharon and Kathy, but probably his love for Sharon ran more deep.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner