EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'm glad to hear that. I just wish I could like the characters again. I liked Masood in that CIN special more than I have on Eastenders in almost a year.

There is some confusion about whether Thomas Law (Peter) is leaving the show for good, or just to do Christmas panto.

• Members

Grateful that Kat's been mentioning her sisters these past few days, but still wish we'd get an appearance from at least Lynne or Belinda, even if just a visit.

Here's pics from the funeral of the baby: http://tv.sky.com/eastenders-spoilers-cast-film-funeral

I've not had the chance to watch in real-time over the past few weeks, but looks like they're in build up mode until Stacey's Christmas exit. Also still in transition mode as the new Story Producer just started.

Also happy to see the Masood's are back on without focusing entirely on that bore that is Syed.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

Yes, there were times I felt more sympathy for Cindy than Ian. Ian is a strange character in that he's an ass and does nasty things, but we're also told what an annoying wimp he is and how he'll never win against the likes of Phil.

Although, sometimes it's hard to sympathize with Jane, given how obsessed she can be with having a baby.

• Members

I do think Ian has treated most of the women in his life like crap though. He and Cindy were a toxic combination, they were both responsible for what happened to that marriage, even though Cindy was slightly psychotic and misunderstood, I think Ian partly pushed her over the edge on several osscasions. The way he treated Laura, who I hate anyway, was just degrading as well.

Jane has gotten better treatment, but she is right that Ian is generally dismissive of her and doesn't really think of her as an equal partner in their marraige

• Members

Still playing the catch-up game...the Thu. and Fri. wedding episodes (11th and 12th) were fantastic, just great. All kinds of emotions were played, all kinds of dynamics were on display. All of the interactions were on point, and the mood was perfect. I don't want to ramble on and on each thing but a few frivolous side points:

~ Jack was in the trunk for how long? Nobody thought he stunk from sweating buckets in a trunk over night? He held it in all night too?

~ Damn it, Jake Wood's won a fan. Max pleading with Lauren not to leave was riveting.

~ What's the deal with John Bardon? Can he not talk? It saddens me that he's relatively young, yet he's got all those health issues.

~ Poor Tamwar lol I didn't mind seeing him mope around in his undies.

~ Connor/Carol needs to happen, for real. I'd love the show forever if they went there.

~ Julie is such a sympathetic character. I was sold the second she ran out of the Vic. Her and Billy are perfect together (for now), and I can't wait to watch their story progress.

~ Sal :lol: She looks like Sally Jessy Raphael.

~ I softened considerably towards Kat and Alfie (and Ronnie and Jack). I was glad both couples got their good weddings.

~ One thing that annoys me about the show is how half of the characters disappear for long stretches of time. I know not everyone in the square likes everyone else, but wouldn't simply being neighbors almost guarantee the presence of people like Zainab, Christian, Syed, Bianca, Ricky, Ian, Peter, Denise, etc? Don't get me wrong, the Vic was packed with people, but that sorta drove home the fact that the others were presumably at home while there's a party in the local.

~ The Ronnie/Kat scene was incredible, and both actresses deserve a round of applause. That's what soaps are all about.

~ And last but not least, Mo raising the roof to Crazy in Love was HILARIOUS.

• Members

Ian is a strange character, b/c he is a creep, but when paired with someone like Phil, Ian is the protagonist, and we are meant to root for him. He's only ever the antagonist within his marriages. He can be nasty and vindictive, and takes delight in other people's misfortunes (but never too far that he's a villain), but then he'll do something nice, and reveal that he does have a heart underneath it all. Ian is someone who you'll despise one minute, but will never hate, b/c he's never written as villain, just a normal guy who's a jerk with (major) flaws, whose endearing qualities are buried under a mountain of slime.

Jane has gotten better treatment, and continues to be in love with him for reasons that are alien to me, but in RL this couple would never last - unless Jane's a masochist, but she's never come across as one. She needs to find someone who will treat her better, especially after the stunt Ian pulls next week (or whenever its set to air)...

ETA:

Don't you mean 2007? Unless he had a previous stroke before then, and this is what you are referring to.

Jim's progress is matched with John's progress. I guess, when/if John regains his speech, so will Jim.

Edited by Ben