Y&R: Looking forward to the summer

• Members

Okay...so I'm hearing that the Summer is going to be pure enjoyment, first from MAB and now the cast is saying so as well.

From Branco's recent column: http://tvguide.sympatico.msn.ca/Confession...s_NB.htm?isfa=1

Raya Meddine (Sabrina Newman, The Young and The Restless)

TVG: How long is your contract?

RM: Three years!

TVG: Is Sabrina in cahoots with Adam? Do you know her back story?

RM: I do. In a few weeks, there will be a shocking secret revealed! Just wait ‘til you find out.

Daniel Goddard (Cane Ashby, Y&R)

TVG: Who are you again? You look familiar… Mathison something?

DG: I’m an oil magnate who has magnetic powers.

TVG: Who wears a loincloth…

DG: …wears a loincloth, and because of my magnetic powers, things tend to rise…!

TVG: You’re very magnetic. I was just speaking to your head writer and she informs me you have a great storyline coming up!

DG: Dude! We have the best summer planned; just wait! I’m so stoked about it all. The storyline has everything fans want to see on daytime: romance, passion, betrayal, deception, angst, sex, sadness, retribution and reconciliation.

TVG: OK, already — you’ve sold me!

DG: I have been waiting for this story my entire career!

TVG: You such a great ambassador and champion of the genre. I mean... you could just as easily bolt from soaps to pursue the bright lights of prime time…

DG: I love soaps! I’m here as long as Y&R wants me.

TVG: It sounds like you’d also make a great writer, director or producer down the road because you know the industry so well. Would you ever consider moving behind-the-scenes?

DG: Yes. And I even have a film project I want to write and direct at the end of the year. It’s my Sling Blade…

TVG: Have fun tonight, Mr. Magnetic Magnate!

Now of course they could just be exaggerating, but I will forgive MAB if all this build up actually mounted to SOMETHING.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

^^^LOL, I can see it. I wouldn't be surprised if Sabrina and Adam were in cahoots though. I hope it's something really juicy, and brings Victor to his knees once and for all. I would love to see a story where Victor loses everything he's accomplished. It would serve the old goat right.

• Members

This summer is pivotal to the future of Y&R...if it isn't knock your socks off sensational the show is f----d. Summertime is the one time where soaps can and should be able to gain viewers. Here's hoping MAB can get it together and make it happen!

• Members

Who know...

Things appears to be improving somewhat now. Nelson said the episodes where Hogan is Maria's Co-HW start in August, which is late summer. So, we might be seeing more of the same until Maria gets Hogan's help in plotting these stories. Then there's the possible addition of a new Executive Producer, which could change everything.

• Members

I've heard from a few people that "things really start to pick up in the summer". And they're sources I trust, people who have been quite unhappy with Y&R for awhile now. So I don't think this is Branco doing his usual hyperbolic faux-enthusiasm.

But I also don't know what these "things" are, so I'm reserving judgment until I see for myself. You're right, though. This summer better knock everyone's socks off.

• Members

That doesn't mean she's sticking around for 3 years, y&r_fan. Y&R (and B&B) typically signs everyone to 3 year contracts, but a lot of the actors get fired after their contract cycles are up, which is like every 3 months, I believe. So, she could be gone a lot sooner, and I think she will. Face it, Nikki and Victor will be reunited sooner or later, and they'll be nothing left for Sabrina to do.

• Members

The show will never be the same unless it returns to the former production module. Because the typical soap thing they have running right now has turned me off personally. I became attracted to Y&R not just because it was expertly written and told all beats of a story but also because it was absolutely gorgeous and like nothing else in daytime. Now I feel like I do about all the other soaps, like I'm watching people rush through their work, desperate to finish this scene and go to the next. Nothing is allowed to digest, it's just one quick scene after another. What I loved about the old Y&R is that you were truly drawn into a scene, I felt like there was a team of people who were trying to make a polished product.

• Members

IA with Darn that the show needs to bring back the Shaughnessys and Smiths and Scotts and all the other execs and old team who made this show look, feel and breathe #1. However, would they even consider coming back? The way Barbara Bloom and Sony treated them? I'm still reeling from the fact that Lynn Marie Troll was Barbie's college roomate.

In between praying that the return to the show, I am seeing some enjoyment and improvement this week. I think MAB is a good addition to the show in that she can write for a lot of the vets and understands them. It's the pacing and inability to capitalize on gems that the wafer-thin SLs throw up (like the Sabrina/Adam dynamic. That story could practically write itself!). I am looking forward to Y&R's summer, though.

Archived