ATWT: Who should be the new HW and new EP for the show??

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For HW: Nancy Curlee (w/ the possibility of her husband, Stephen Demorest, as Co-HW).

For EP: I know he doesn't have the best reputation, but IMO, Michael Laibson was one of the last producers who truly understood daytime.

(Of course, I said that about Goutman once upon a time, and now look where we are.)

• Members

Goutman's not going anywhere, and I doubt Passanante is either. Every show goes through slumps, which is what they're experiencing right now. Except for the last few weeks, they've been competitive ratings-wise with the ABC shows and DAYS. This team has proven to the suits in the past that they can get the ratings up, so I'm sure there's still trust in them. But they do need to act fast and come up with something powerful incorporating the vets in a meaningful way. These types of stories have always served the show well. If they don't act fast, they might stay mired in that 1.9/2.0 ballpark. On the other hand, who knows how much of their slump has to do with other CBS soaps tanking? All the CBS shows seem to be down in the ballpark of between .3-.5 from just a couple of months ago. So, yeah, the show's in a creative and ratings slump, but that might just reflect the state of the rest of CBS daytime at the moment.

• Members

Not so much my choices, but the industry, and the way it's being run today. Wendy Riche, for example, arguably would make an even better EP than Laibson (although, I, for one, doubt she'd be willing to relocate to NYC for the job...which is why I excluded her), but could we trust CBS and PGP to allow her to run the show the way she'd want to?

Same goes for Nancy Curlee. She's a brilliant HW who, IMO, would know exactly what to do for ATWT. However, all it would take is one network exec or sponsor rep to micro-manage the life out of her stories; like that, practically everyone on the message boards would label her a hack and begin suggesting who TIIC could get to replace her.

But in a perfect world, where EP's and HW's are allowed to operate w/o any interference? Can't promise a Curlee/Laibson regime would be as wonderful as Marland/Calhoun or Soderberg & Sommer/Willmore, but it'd have to be miles better than the bull we're getting now.

(BTW, Sylph, thanks for letting me clarify my earlier statement.)

ETA: Believe it or not, too, Laibson was EP when GL (IMO) destroyed my all-time favorite couple, Quint & Nola. So if I can endorse him after that? That's saying something, lol.

• Members

Three things tell me S&S/Willmore were good: 1) the yearly synopses (so you're right about that, Sylph), 2) the ratings, and 3) the fond memories of those who were alive back then, and who couldn't wait everyday to watch the show.

Does that clarify things better, Sylph?

• Members

I'd settle for anyone who will consistantly prove they give a rat's ass about the characters. Good story should always trumped plot-driven stunts. I'd kill for any decent "story consultant" who could plot long-term story. Everything on the show seems to flip on the whims of a crack addict.

• Members

No one in particular PJ? Glad to see you post on this topic. Only 12 replies?? And Days who have writing changes every week has 3 pages worth?? <_< Sorry but Days had its chance with all these writing changes lately. Why not give ATWT a chance with another HW and EP?

• Administrator

Why are you jealous that the DAYS topic has more replies? LOL

And what does DAYS have to do with ATWT? Is DAYS preventing ATWT from hiring a new EP and ATWT? :P

My picks......Stephen Demorest and Carolyn Culliton as Co-HWs and Wendy Riche (if not Wendy, promote someone - maybe Vivian Gundaker?).

Archived