Is OLTL going to surpass Y&R come this week ratings?

• Members

Robin Strasser's hotline refered to OLTL scoring #1 in the ratings on Monday and Tuesday -which coincidentally was the wedding of Rex and Adriana. So, let's say the numbers stayed consistently high for the remainder of last week, and Y&R took a significant dip (probably not cause diff. time slots), then maybe OLTL could dethrone Y&R?

I know its a VERY LONG shot, but who knows? With the creative upswing OLTL is having, I could see them surpassing plenty of soaps in the near future.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They were probably #1 in 18-49 for the days (I'd be surprised since Y&R was last .5 ahead of them, maybe #1 among the ABC soaps?). She was definitely talking about 18-49 when she was going on and on about #3.

• Members

LOL! Has our dear La Strasser gone senile? OLTL can barely surpass AMC in the households and demos, I don't see how the show can magically surpass DAYS, GH, B&B, and Y&R in either demos or households.

It is possible the show gained in demos amongst the ABC soaps though...

Despite the recent quality of the show, ratings almost never reflect the true quality of any show.

• Members

As a life-long Y&R viewer and lover, I nonetheless hope the fantastic OLTL experiences significant ratings gain...up to and including surpassing Y&R in key demos or whatever.

Why?

Because OLTL is a testament to creative renaissance...what happens when you give a HW some berth and room to execute a vision (and there can be NO doubt that Carlivati has a distinctive vision, given how different the show was under Tomlin during the WGA strike). Couple that with inter-generational storytelling, heavier play of vets, returning favorites, and energetic momentum that is premised on soaps' classic formula (secrets and lies, with a little romance thrown in).

I want OLTL to thrive and prosper, because I want the industry to see that classically good soap, with some modern flourishes, can succeed. I would love every 18-39 year old woman in America to tune in. I'd love to see OLTL become the most [NAME NOT ALLOWED] show on daytime or primetime.

Under Gloria Monty, GH transcended daytime and became a cultural phenomenon. For a time, the whole genre experienced an uplift due to that. If any show deserves to enjoy such an uplift now, it is OLTL. My best thoughts and wishes are with this show....it compels me to watch these days, and I'm not even really a OLTL boy.

• Members

Your wish is fulfilled. :P 

How anyone can think that is beyond my cognitive powers... And I'm bloody rigid bored with the Ron Carlivati OLTL Protection Agency (yes, the people who praise the show already have a name). Sure, the show has improved after Dena's intoxicating influence and it has really good moments, but to say it's the best soap on air... I don't know about that. The problem is that all other shows have really good moments (unfortunately, only moments), but these are overshadowed by the rest of distilled cr*p that hits the airwaves.

Archived