Y&R: Week of May 5th

• Members

So i know I'm starting this kinda early but whatever. I have something to say about this show...

Now that we have been LML free for sometime i was starting to think the new writers would be the same or just a bit better, but after watching wed/thur/fri show on soapnet i think i am wrong and this is why. Gloria is becoming more real and less cartoonish. Slowly the characters are returning to them old selves. History is being used. Chem tests are being done instead of insta couples. All this was missing for over a year and i seen it in three days.

Paul & Nikki had a talk. He pushed her for what was wrong and after saying I'm fine he pushed a bit more until she opened up (wow, that sounded dirty!). These two use to be best friends (maybe more?) back in the day and it was great to use him as her friend. Friendship was missing under LML and i love that it is back. Also, the Paul and Brad hating each other history is now coming up again as well using Heather, and that brings me to my next point. Again, using history they had Lauren & Paul share a drink and talk about days past on what would had been there 20+ wedding anniversary.

Chemistry tests are back! Y&R of old use to have random encounters between people. Even tho they were doing this to see how the chem between the actors was it was never some plot conceived point. My main issue with say Cane & Lily, aside from the lack of chem, is that i felt like i was told 'here. love them.' ... Brad & Heather are starting to date but it is going slow. Its nice.

Also, IMHO, Gloria has become a human again instead of a cartoon. I love her trying to put good karma put to get good karma back. Shes alone and cant stand it.

However, a lot still needs to be done. But i have hope again... So with that discuss the drama in Genoa City this week...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I really liked today's episode. Lots of Jill vs Nikki, which as just been fantastic. The scenes between Nick and Victoria were surprisingly strong and I LOVED the mention of Eve today... finally, I have been waiting for it to be mentioned for over a year. How nice that Brad wants to refocus on the Men's Line again! And Jana to work as Sabrina's assistant. Didn't see that coming! :lol:

• Members

Brad is such a snake that it's hard to root for anything he does----hopefully TIIC won't try to change him because I like him just the way he is. Besides, it's time for the IIC to give Jack a break and let someone else be the villian. Now as far as Jana is concerned I too was surprised at the Sabrina job offer. Wonder what Victor will have to say about that. Hopefully these two events ( Brad's re-focus/ Jena's new job ) will lead to some juicy s/l's. We'll see.

• Members

This week has been an improvement on last week. The show is still Dull As Hell...but focus is being paid to characters and actors who have been sidelined for some time and it is a welcome return.

Jess Walton and Don Diamont are back! I love the chemistry those two share and I love that Jill and Brad are back to being the diva (or in Brad's case divo) that they've always been. The Jill vs Nikki stuff has been gold, I am desperate to see more of it plus a physical catfight. A real brawl, something knock down, drag out, hair pulling, slapping, scratching, the whole nine yards. Brad slowly chipping away at David is fun to watch. More please.

Melody Thomas Scott and Doug Davidson shared a rare set of scenes and they were terrific. Nikki and Paul had a brief relationship many years ago that I think has life left in it. Doug has been sidelined for a long time, he deserves a storyline. Nikki and Paul would be interesting, I think it would be 'different' in a great way.

Chris Engen and Laura Stone are wonderful. It really is that simple. Adam and Skye are the kinds of characters that I feel I can invest in. They're not perfect, they're not unbelievable. Rather, they are fun and mean and smart. I particularly enjoy Adam taking a piss all over lame ass Sabrina's French Bag of BS. Sabrina takes the cake as far as annoying female characters go, it seems her storyline is all about giving Eric Braeden a hard on, stroking that man's ego is a tough job but with the way he was treated under LML it is not unwarrented.

I am also finding Gloria to be more tolerable. I enjoyed her scenes with Esther. Judith Chapman and Kate Linder had an easy scene chemistry, I would like to see more of that. Ted Shackelford is also great to watch but I feel the cord needs to be cut in terms of Jeff & Gloria, that is one relationship that has floundered. It's over, move on.

There is still much work to be done.

Lauren and Michael are awful. It's time to break them up, that is one happy union that has gotten stale and it has really hurt the actors.

There doesn't seem to be anything in the way of storyline for Jeanne Cooper and that is deplorable, particularly when the memoir stuff is so available or perhaps a relationship with Alistair, something funny.

Amber and Daniel, holding such potential, are doing a whole lot of nothing.

Phyllis and Nick are terrible together. Like Lauren and Michael their relationship has hurt the actors who come off as lazy and boring.

Peter Bergman has nothing to do, the same goes for Sharon Case. Kristoff St John has also been badly backburned.

Cane and Lily are horrible, there isn't any chemistry, the relationship is over. It never worked. In fact, I believe Cane has outlived his usefulness on the show. Daniel Goddard is a good actor, but the character was horribly ill conceived. The only son of Jill's I'm interested in seeing back is Billy Abbott.

Generally, I think a big problem affecting Y&R's writing is that all the stories are blending into one another. During Bill Bell and Kay Alden's runs there was distinction between each storyline. The show was an ensemble in that everyone was featured quite equally yet there was separation between storylines. Now, it seems that it's just all one big storyline that everyone is flowing in and out of and it's boring.

Finally, the LML primetime writers need to be fired. They cannot write daytime. Each episode moves too fast and each episode seems so self contained as if they create a problem and solve it in each episode. The flow isn't there. It's odd because during the strike the flow WAS there...it's evident that it's the primetime pals of LML being back which has brought the horrible pace back. It's a big problem and needs addressing.

• Members

This week has been much better than the last two weeks. The last two weeks had to be the most boring weeks ever in the history of Y&R. I'm willing to cut Mrs. Bell some slack becuase I can tell the show is still in transition. But it shouldn't take this long, especially since her and Josh were doing so good when they first took over "temporarily."

• Members

It's not been too bad. Here's a recap of yesterday's show. Judge for yourself:

Lily: I'm back! From LA! I'm a Supermodel!

Chloe: Like, so fabulous! And you look thinner.

Cane (moping): Lily. LEE-LEE. I'm going to stand right behind you in the hopes that you notice me. LEE-LEE. Sweatheart. How are you?

Lily: Fine, Beastmaster, It's just that having you around reminds me about losing The Baby.

Cane: :(

Lily: But other than that, I'm totally fine! Wanna go on a date? Text me later, 'kay?

Victor (in black leather): Herrrrro, ma petite chouxfleur.

Sabrina: Veek-torr.

(Loud French kissing. Me barfing).

Victor: My darling. Let's stay in tonight. Hint. Hint.

(Me: A scene I hope to God is never screened).

Sabrina: Not before you see the painting I just bought for you!

Victor: Uh... what da hell is it?

Sabrina: Anything you want it to be! That's the beauty of Modern Art.

Victor: :huh:

Victoria: Hitting the ground running at Jabot. OK, let's destroy dad's company!

Nikki: Uh...

Victoria: I'm thinking we could launch an eco-friendly range of products.

Jill: Oh, dear Lord.

Brad: :rolleyes:

Nikki: I'm CEO here. Let's do it!

David: I've got a skeevy Vegas pal who is producing a straight-to video "romantic thriller" starring Jenna Jamieson. It's set in the rainforest so she has to take her clothes off alot. We could tie in our new beauty line with the film's World Premiere!

Adam: Sir.

Victor: Come in, my boy. Come in.

Adam: Uh... I feel kinda guilty that I forced your daughter out of the company. You know, she being a new mom and all.

Victor: Lisssssssssssssssten, my boy. You feel guilty because your mother tried to instill some principles in you. But the truth is, you are as ruthless as your father.

Adam: Uh...

Victor: That's right, my son. Embrace it! (Heavy breathing) Embrace da Dark Side, Luke!

Adam: My name is Adam...

Victor (suddenly whips out a lightsaber): Luke... Luke... (Heavy breathing) How would you feel about moving into the Ranch? With me? Say yes, Luke. You know you want to.

David (on his cell): OK, Genoa City's Only Bookie. I want to put $5,000 on Mr. Ed in the 3.20 race.

Brad: :huh:

Brad (on his cell): Hey, Genoa City's Only Bookie. Just heard you talking to David Dumbass. How about you do me a favor and steer him in the direction of a horse that is guaranteed to lose?

Colleen: G'day, mate! Listen, you know how I spent 6 months helping Adrian research his book about the Reliquary....

Kevin (and audience): Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Colleen: ... Well, now that I think about it... It totally exposes my dad and grandma's secret nazi-busting identities! And implicates CrazyJana.

Kevin: OK, you need to tell Adrian not to publish it. Now.

Colleen: Like, it's about to hit bookstands any day now.

Adrian: What's all this?

Colleen: Blah blah blah Recap.

Adrian: Blah blah BLAH, Colleen! You idiot! (storms out)

Colleen: Sniffle.

David: Nikki. Let's get married.

Nikki: Uh... maybe?

David: Great! (on his cell) Colonnade Room! I want to book a wedding ceremony and reception for August. You can charge it to Nikki Newman's VISA.

Victoria: What's all this?

Nikki: David and I are getting married!

Victoria: HISSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

David: Isn't this fantastic news? (hugs Nikki) Mmmmmm. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

---------

It was actually better than this suggest, LOL.

• Members

LMFAO.

And why the heck did Brad open the damn book to page 15 with the ominous music as if he were about to read the absolute worst news in the history of Y&R?

The good news is that Tammin wasn't as bad an actress as I thought she was. So much better than Christel.

Archived