AMC: Promo!

• Members

Actually it isn't. There have been several times that a soap couple returns and causes big ratings. The most notable explainations of this trend are the Day's super couples, Vanessa Marcil's return as Brenda and Genie Francis return as Laura. To say that ratings do not increase at all with the return of a super couple is denial. If a couple is popular then they are going to cause more people to tune in. Millions of people tuned into to see Tad return to Dixie in both of their reunions. Super couples turn in ratings. That's why they are called super couples because of their impact on the public is so notable that it is incomparable to other couples on the soap.

Amanda, Bianca, Josh, Jaime, Di, JR and others were all friends of Babe proir to her inheriting Fusion. Tad, Liza were also some of her supporters prior to Fusion. Yes she gained another circle of friends with Fusion: most notable Zoe, Annie and Danielle but Babe did have a supportive community without Fusion althought it did help to move her character out of the dominated JR/Jaime sphere. Babe also befriended Ritchie regardless of Fusion. My point was that Babe is an independent character who isn't dependent on another character for story. She has her own set of friends and support system. Zach is not. He is dependent on Kendell for all of his stories. Much like the way Babe/Jaime were back in 2005.

My point was just to show that their were notable couples who sparked an increase in ratings that were significant. I used Leo's death as an example as I believe it was the last time the show reached high 3.0's in household ratings.

If they don't impact people enough to tune in I don't see how they can be called a super couple. There isn't anything super about them if they aren't able to influence people and move people. The best way to show what's popular is by ratings even if we see in popular culture we see what people like and how their are primetime, movie and celebrity super couples: Buffy/Angel, Meredith/Derek, Ross/Racheal, Dawson/Joey all of these couples are notable in television because of their definitive spark on each of their shows and because of their notable rises in ratings for each of these signature couples. Jack/Rose an endless love story that moved millions and possiable billions of people and I believe it's the most grossed movie in the world or atleast one of them. Celebrity couples like Tom/Katie, Brad/Angelina, David/Posh all sell millions of magazines every year because people are fasinated by these power couples. Any super couple that is a super couple has to have a rise in ratings or atleast show some sort of populartiy in comparison to the general public or else they just don't have the clout to define themselves as one. That's why I don't call any of the couples now a days as super couples because none of them have sparked to the point of notable increases in the ratings or any other notable ways.

None of the couples in the 00's imo can be defined as super couples. Zendell much less so.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived